Installation on Raspberry Pi zero 1.3 (non wifi)

For prototyping purposes I wanted to install Home Assistant on a raspberry pi zero 1.3, this is something in different than the pi zero-w (w has wifi and bluetooth, 1.3 hasn’t).

I earlier successfully installed the pi zero image on a pi zero W.

When I purchased the pi zero 1.3 I thought, I would probably be able to use the pi zero-w image which is available for download in the installation guide: https://www.home-assistant.io/hassio/installation/

Unfortunately this didn’t work. It doesn’t start, the LED is green light up, but doesn’t flicker. Nothing happens.

I tried a manual installation on a Raspbian Lite running on this zero too. But it didn’t succeed yet, I think I know why, but I think it is too much of a hassle to troubleshoot this. I will just purchase the zero w again.

Does anybody know if there is any way I do can use the pizero-w (pi0w) image for this pi zero 1.3 version?

I have no experience with the non ‘W’ zero but can confirm it runs very well at the zero-W I started using this platform for my mobile home since it does not require much power. Since all the performance improvements it only got better. Use it for other now too. If you have ~5-10 devices to run it is the perfect start solution. I do not know why it is still listed as deprecated.

1 Like

If it has no Wi-Fi or Ethernet connection, how do you expect Home Assistant to work?

Home Assistant requires access to the internet to download various software it may require. Minimally it needs access to update its time.

1 Like

Firmware differs between both so on initial boot the v1.3 must be able to configure itself. Just to prove that the v1.3 is working correctly try installing a vanilla version of Raspbian Buster, If that boots ok you have your answer.

1 Like

If have a usb dongle with ethernet connected to it. Maybe I should have mentioned that. Same dongle as used earlier on the zero w. So it has connection.

I have the same experience. I do think the app takes some time to load and enter lovelace, that’s probably faster on higher rpi’s

True it takes a few minutes to start but this use to be 10 minutes. This is the resource usage on a system with 6 devices. Starting the superviser loads the CPU obviously :wink:

1 Like