Installation on Synology Virtual Machine Managager

@gerosaf
go on you disktstation. Shut down your vmm. After shutting down goto action (middle tab). Take edit. Go to others, then to usb-device to the + (for to add) and search yor device. I hope your virtual usb-device is set on usb 3.0. Click ok and restart your vmm.

I have already done that for my USB devices and they appear as mounted.

I have now to change this sensor configuration:

• platform: serial_pm
    serial_device: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-1a86_USB2.0-Serial_ffffffd8ffffffb9ffffffd0ffffffa2-if00-port0

with the new path which I don’t know which one it is in the HA VM.

BTW, the “/serial/by-id” path disappeared after installing VMM.

Thanks again

@gerograf
i think you choose the correct usb-device. In HA you have to go to your addon and then to the configuration tab. I hope there you can configure your device. Under device click on the right side the triangle and choose your usb-path.
On my zwave js configuration it was a similar cryptic device path.
Please excuse my poor english.

Your english is very good, am I italian, so it’s fine!
I know what you mean, but there is no add for this particulate matter device, but a native integration in HA, so no addon GUI to use to configure it when runnin g under VMM.

Let’s see whether anyone here can help with this request about accessing USB device from the VMM environment.
My other USB device is a ConBee II stick working well, in the add GUI I can select it directly.

@gerosaf
thank you for your response!

@gerosaf
it may be possible to find your hardware go to the supervisor dashboard, then click on the tab system on the upper right side. Look for host. There you can find three dots on the lower right side. Click on this and choose hardware. I think in earlier Version it was simple to find the right usb. Now it is horrible. When i read the instruction serial particulate matter, i think you have to configure it in config.yaml. On the other hand you have to search for it in the internet. I have found this here:

1 Like

Another question appeared to me: if/when Synology shuts down or reboots (power failure, SW upgrade…) what happens with HA installation inside VM ? Does synology shuts down HA (and VM) correctly or is it “unclean” shutdown (and possibility of corrupting whole thing)?

Hi @Protoncek
there is an option in VMM where you decide if suspend or shutdown the VM when Syno is restarting or shutting down.
Can’t answer what happen in case of power failure of Syno

Super helpful! Thank you! I managed to migrate off of Synology’s old broken Docker version and everything seems to be working correctly after a restore.

@gerosaf:thanks , i found it and set to suspend, i guess it’s the best option. Ok, if all ok syno should shut down by itself before UPS batteries die, but i can’t help wondering “what if…”

Does getting HA inside a VM to connect to a database outside the VM really make things faster ?!

I think maria db engine is much faster than internal db. I installed outside of the VM to take advantadge of the 2 corrs of the system (my vm is limited to 1). But installing maria db in the VM with the official supervisor plugin should also make a difference.

Can I install supervised version if I use Synology VM?
If yes, I can get rid of docker and get some more benefits out the Synology NAS.
I also need to buy some more RAM’s as I only have 2 GB

@nicolae.fratila : yes, that’s what i did. No more docker, but you really need to upgrade ram first.

@mrbrett i installed mariadb, but for now i went back to “normal”, because strange thing happened: all data WAS recording into new database, but i have one sql sensor, which pulls out MIN and MAX temperature within 14 hours from “states” of database, and after i switched to mariadb this sql still kept publising data from old database. When i deleted old database it was recreated at HA restart . So, i must be missing something…

Hi, Fredrik Erlandsson. First of all, congrats for this great job.

I’d like to know if an OS upgrade (from 5.11 to 5.12) may cause any problem. I’m using the patched OVA you created.

Everything is flawless so far.

Thanks

No upgrades within my patched ova will not cause any problems (I’m running 5.12 myself without issues).

The 5.13 version of the ova will have my patch integrated but I don’t know the release date for that. My patch makes Synology VMM recognize the guest tools so the virtual machine can be shutdown gracefully (among other things), changing stuff within that vmm will not have any effect.

Thanks a lot for the guide - as well as for the package in the past! I’m also switching to VM (after a NAS upgrade) in order to keep things simple.

Almost everything working after a couple of attempts. Only one probleme: my VM gets the IP from DHCP - and I can access HA from that DynamicIP:8123. It works perfectly. I expected it to be accessible also on http://homeassistant.local:8123 - but this si not working.

What did I miss? where should I configure the local domain? It would help when I get to SSL and remote access via reverse proxy (not there yet!)

Tks

1 Like

In Supervisor - System tab, change it to fixed IP address. You will need it in future, especially if you plan on reverse proxy/external access.
In regard to homeassistant.local - did you try without .local at the end?

Thanks - yes, I’ve been able to set this up as fixed IP and that helps of course.
Just wondering where (NAS? HA? VMM?) this .local domain should be configured… I cannot access neither via homeassistant.local nor via homeassistant.

I included homeassistant.local as “hostname” in supervisor configuration, but to no effect

This is usually mDNS issue - it can be bunch of things - try searching more about this topic.
One of the most common issues could be using multiple subnets.

Just to say this aloud - if you can’t get access to homeassistant.local or homeassistant, in general this is not an error, and in 99% of cases, this has nothing to do with homeassistant, but is related to your home network.

1 Like