Installation on Synology Virtual Machine Managager

Nothing special only photostation and also 2 old had drives

Hi,

I’m running HassOS on an esxi server, now wanted to try virtual manager on synology
Followed tutorial, imported OVA, enabled vswitch, but after insall, it keeps a long tine to sync NTP at boot of HassOS, and it also doesnt get an IP address… what am i missing? the network card is enabled on the VM , also had a look at my DHCP server, dont see a new lease coming in

thnx for info

as you can see, it only gets the container IP’s

also tried virtio/e1000/rtl

click on network on the left and add a virtual switch

then in the vm connect to it

The virtual switch was already there and it was attached to the VM… I also tried creating a new one with type “external” … Didn’t help either…

I gave the VM only 1 CPU and 1 Gb ram, maybe that’s too low for the HassOS system

I try to increase it later

hmm, seems it was already 2 cpu + 2 gb ram, that should be good
not getting an IP, no idea why…

EDIT, on buildroot, i dont see any ETH0 added either:

Hi, were you able to fix this issue? I ran into exactly same problem. Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Today, I came home to see all my automation not working! I verified that HA was running on my Synology VMM, it was, but no IP was assigned to it!
I was able to fix it by creating a new external network (Virtual Switch) and assigning it to my HA VM.
Hope this help with your own issue.

i tried that too, bu creating a new switch… didnt it work, but what do you mean by the word “external” ? where can i define an “external network” ?

netwrok type should be external not private as in the screenshot above

Where do you see I have setup as private? In screenshot above it’s setup to external?

In my case the VM, was just not getting an IP, if I enable static IP on HassOS, I was still not able to ping from the cli

I do not see your screenshot that says external? Also I really have no clue how you set hassio to a static IP if you cannot get to it? I also have no clue how you ping from the cli?
Your IP should show here?

well I guess you can set the ip from the cli. Never had to go there before… Dbl check that your ip is /24

Yeah, I don’t see any IP there , I see the state like “getting IP” but never gets one, the type is external, it visible in an earlier reply where I show screenshot…
I just enter the terminal (in virtual machine manager) with commands like “nmcli” and “network” you can change the IP address , even setup a static IP…

Then I ping from the Synology itself to the HassOS vm, but not reachable

Edit; seems I didn’t post the screenshot about external, but I have setup the type to external, 100% sure…
Even if it was wrong setup , it should get some internal ip, and it was not getting any

no clue perhaps you just got a bad download. I would blow it all away and start from scratch with a fresh download of hassio?

think i give up, now i was trying with DSM 7 , instead of DSM 6.1 before (xpenology system)
started with a clean system, now also used hassos 9.3 , previous 9.0

upon boot i already see that network manager fails to get network

network = setup external

just no IP

maybe its because i use an xpenology system instead of a real synology

Sharing just experience here: I was running HA on an aging ESXi (10years+ old machine), without issues. Moved to a Synology DS220+ with VMM a couple of days ago. The migration was absolutely painless except for one thing: I still have an issue with my UPS. NUTS (Network UPS Tools) add-on can’t get a hold of the USB Port for some reason. The UPS is connected and I can see it on the USB bus, but NUTs has issues with the driver:
Can’t claim USB device [0463:ffff]: could not detach kernel driver from interface 0: No route to host
Any ideas how to fix that?

My Synology is configured different with UPS. Synology is connected to the UPS USB.

Since it is using the USB, HA connects to the NUT server via the network.

You’ll also need to setup the firewall, etc. to allow it to work.

Don’t forget to click “permitted DiskStation devices” and there enter IP of your HA instance.

PERFECT! Didn’t think of that - worked like a treat! Thanks a lot :smiley:

I installed my Home Assistant with this guide. If I want to restart my Synology, I need to shutdown the Home Assistant virtual machine first. Or can I just shutdown and the virtual machine will automatically power off?