Installation on Synology Virtual Machine Managager

With only 4GB of total ram available I suggest that you either upgrade or lower the allocated ram for HA to 1-1.5 GB (it will start and probably work quite fine unless you have too many addons and integrations).

I had issues with not enough ram on my Synology and it got terrible slow…

Thank you for the feedback.

what procedure to choose for the easiest migration from the old HA system to the new HA on VMM

• snapshot
  • copy file
  • ???

Hey @fredrike, I followed you from the Synology DSM install and have been super appreciative of all the work you put out for us. Thank you for that and already getting this option going.

I have a DS1618+ and I am able to successfully start the VM using the latest patched version you posted to dropbox yesterday. I can get Home Assistant started just fine. However, when I do a full snapshot restore from my old DSM hassio environment it seems to try to implement the same folder structure and I can’t get to the IP address after that. What parts of the snapshot did you restore?

snapshot, you just restore from one and are “done”.

The whole one… How long did you wait as restoring from snapshot takes quite some time.

I did the full restore and I waited overnight and still had the same issue so I’m about to start another fresh install.

Yes, that seems that you were patient enough…

Perhaps you could set the IP to dynamic/static on your “old” part and restore that.

Hello

On a DS718+ (DSM6 last upgrade 6GB Ram), a VMM (2 CPU, 2GB) with debian 10 + zigbee, zwave and rfxcom.
Everything is running fine.

1. What would be the advantage of this install ?
    Taking in account that :
    a) I see in the supervisor card (above) that the installation is unsupported.
    b) I moved from the Synology (package available with http://packages.synocommunity.com/) to my current configuration due to upgrade restriction with the syno package.

2. I’ve tried to install as suggested (with ova). VMM starting, installed, started.
    but no access with http://192.168.1.ip_syno:8123
    no ip specified
    Any check I can do ?

Thanks and regards

Simplicity you only install the OVA and don’t need to bother with Debian. If “Everything is running fine” I suggest that you stay with your Debian installation.

I don’t know why my installation was listed as unsupported (there were an issue with the Network Manager in my picture but a restart of the supervisor have fixed that).

You need to change ip_syno to the ip your VM got (or try http://homeassistant.local:8123 but if you already have one homeassistant running you might reach that).

1 Like

thanks
and one question was you mean 1 or 2 CPU

I followed your instruction and it was à succes. Thank you.
I loaded the last snapshot I made 2 weeks ago, but then I lost the connection.The WM is now unreachable. What did I broke? Is this because the IP was not the same with the last snapshot ? edit: sorry, it’s working fine ! Just the reboot are much more slower. I Just had to wait. I ordered extra ram.We will see.Thanks again.

1 Like

Go with Debian 10 + supervised since you already have Debian.

1 Like

The results off my tests… just for the sake of tests and I’m curious

1. I’ve reinstalled the last ova (with the patch) and configured the VM without the USB Sticks (Conbee 2, Rfxcom, Zwave)
  2. VM started well and installed HA during ~ 5/10 minutes
  3. Fixed the IP
  4. Installed Samba and uploaded snapshot (done this night)
  5. Restart and waited ~ 10 minutes
  6. Same Configuration as my production debian 10 VM running well
  7. Stopped OVA and mounted the 3 sticks
  8. Started again, worked fine except the Conbee Stick
    Any idea why ?

The start time seems to be the same (+/-) between Debian and OVA.

1 Like

Finally, I still have some concerns, following the loading of the last checkpoint. It appears to be a database problem. Do you have a lead, please ?

Edit: Ok, I deleted the home-assistant_v2.db file in /config, and that did the trick !

Working like a charm on a DS920+.
Thank you very much for the guide and the image.

RAM usage is about 85% (dedicated 1 CPU and 2GB RAM to the VM).
Two questions:

1. How can I access hass files outside the hass itself (i.e. config.yaml) if the system won’t start (just in case).
  2. I have the ability to buy the following RAM (16G by Transcend, 2Rx8):

I understand that DS920+ supports 20G without issues, just don’t know if someone had ever tried this type of SODIMM (asking as this is available in a local store).

Thanks.

1 Like

Great to hear!

Perhaps it’s a driver thing but I would guess that it is how VMM exposes USB.

You are welcome, remember that a beer always is nice (there is a link in the first post).

There are several addons for this (and it is kinda off the scope of this thread), both terminal and Samba works fine (I’ve tested them). But I’ve seen some file managers too.

Check some other forums for this (or perhaps reddit).

Hi,
I’m really sorry for this question. But I can’t SSH the VM.

• my router is on 192.168.0.254
  • my NAS is on 192.168.0.1
  • my HA VM got the IP address 192.168.0.71

I want to ssh my HA from my LAN, through putty. But I’m getting Network error:connection refused.
My method ain’t right:

• I installed SSH & Web Terminal on HA. Everything is ok in the log.

• I allowed ssh connection on the NAS. with default port (22), and I tried with a custom port (like 2222, i opened the 2222 port on the NAS firewall)

• I tried to ssh from putty with the following adress: 192.168.0.71:22 and 192.168.0.71.2222

I’m sorry I’m a beginner with virtual machines. I don’t get how to access the SSH port of the VM. If I try to reach the VM (192.168.0.71), the traffic will go through the NAS (192.168.0.1), as the VM is running on it. So the ports that I need on the VM (like the 22) has to be the same than the NAS ones ? How does the redirecting works.

In short: how can I access my vm through SSH ? :pray:

Edit: it’s ok, I had a problem with the private key already in HA (Old snaphshot). So I deleted, reinstalled the SSH addon, and generate a new key. That took me time to find the bug, but I have a 100% functional HA now. I’m happy.

Hi @fredrike, thanks for for you are doing for the community. I don’t use this method of running HassOS on Synology but previously did use it and had all sort of issues like unable to connect to Samba add-on or SSH in HassOS. After long troubleshooting I have discovered that I needed to enable Open vSwitch in Network configuration for the NIC that was used for VMM. I think you should include this in your tutorial as a requirement.

1 Like

Hi @birca1987,
Samba is working for me, I tried this morning.
I have issues with ssh, but i’m probably doing something wrong.