Installation on Synology Virtual Machine Managager

After long long waiting, HomeAssistant started normally and everything Ok now. I was patient :slight_smile: But as I mentioned, I would prefer to see logs and commands flow to understand that process is going, and I need just wait.

Would you please recommend the optimal settings for virtual machine for home assistant with several addons like Node Red, Esphome, Mqtt, Deconz? I set 3Mb memory and 2 cores. Maybe one core is enough on DS 218+ā€¦

According to Alternative - Home Assistant the minimum is:

Minimum recommended assignments:

2GB RAM
32GB Storage
2vCPU

All these can be extended if your usage calls for more resources.

They also write:

Note: You are free to assign as much resources as you wish to the VM, please assign enough based on your add-on needs)

I donā€™t have any performance issue on my DS716+II with 1 vCPU and 2 GB ram. But Iā€™m just using HomeAssistant-OS to run addons (have not taken the time to migrate my 5 years old Docker instance yet).

The problem is, that VMM always somehow unmounts the USB Dongles. You need always to edit your VMM, go to ā€œOthersā€ (look the picture i attached) and add the deconz stick. Somehow you have to do this everytime the VM restartsā€¦ is there a ways to automate this maybe @fredrike?

2 Likes

For my VM (HA, Z-Wave, Deconz, Node-Red and more) I need at least 1 core and 3 GB memory. I started with 2 GB memory but got ā€œout of memoryā€ errors.

This happens to me too. Every reboot of the VM I have to check the USB devices. Sometimes they stick, sometimes they have to be manually selected again.

1 Like

I can take a look, but unfortunately Iā€™m not super hopeful.

Perhaps you should raise this with the Synology support as it is a bug within VMM.

1 Like

I would like to delete home-assistant_v2.db file. Sometimes itā€™s necessary when homeassistant canā€™t start. Please advise can I do it?
I opened VMM in Synology, pressed ā€œConnectā€ button, logged in with ā€œrootā€ and see ā€œha >ā€ invitation. But it allows to run ā€œhaā€ commands only. I canā€™t do ā€œrmā€ command. If I try to connect to VM with ssh, it refuses connections :frowning:
Please help and describe is it possible to work with core files over ssh?

You can rename or delete the database file by using the ā€œTerminal & SSHā€ add-on.

to serge
i installed the supervisor addon sambashare in Home Assistant.
Go to top of the sambashare-card chose configuration
add username and password.
Password in quotation marks.
under allow_hosts in the config-file:
I added the ip of my synology and the ip of the VM. It works.
Click on save and start sambashare.
If you use windows:
go to add a network address
then next
in this window you have to put in the network-address from your HA-VM without :8123
like this example: \\192.168.179.201 (please take your ip-address)
Then start search and click on the ip of your VM
After this you choose the config folder.
Click on ok.
Now you can work per copy and paste.
I think it is similar with an Apple-system.

1 Like

Thank you, guys.
Do both addons (ssh and sambashare) work when ā€œcoreā€ is stopped? I mean to make it right, I need to stop core before deleting the file. Or in case of homeassistant canā€™t start because of ā€œrecorder issueā€ do these addons work anyway?

I entered Terminal and did:

ha core stop
rm /config/home-assistant_v2.db
ha core start

I found this method in How do I delete the database on home assistant

ā€œTerminal & SSHā€ is an add-on that you can open in Home Assistant. If you open it in Home assistant and run the command ā€œha core stopā€, the home assistant application loses connection to the server and you canā€™t run the next commands. I tested that. Iā€™m afraid that the same situation is with sambashare, because it is the add-on as well.

Thaā€™s why Iā€™m looking for another way to connect to the file system of VM from an external terminal.

I just got a ds220j Synology NAS, with 2 drives in a Raid 1. Are you guys saying HA can be installed and run directly from the NAS?

Yes, it can run on NAS, but not all NAS are equal. j model is not supported. Itā€™s 512K memory with Realtek processor?

1 Like

@ SergeS

i did not stop the core. I delete the db and restart HA. After restart you have the new db.

@ all

thank you

to the community for developing this program and for all the hints you can find here.

I started with v 0.109 installing hassio in a docker comming from Domoticz. It was very hard to work with domoticz over three years. HA is easy to install and very stable. You can integrate everything. Install updates with no problems. Easy migration from z-wave to ozw, three weeks later from ozw to zwave js. At last migrate from docker to VM. A lot of youtube videos with instruction to install and work with HA.
The restart of HA in the VM on a synology 918+ is faster as in the docker.

Ok, thanks. It works.
But anyway, I met the problem when HA canā€™t start because of an issue with the ā€œrecorderā€. And to resolve this issue, you need to delete _v2.db file. In that case, you canā€™t do it with Terminal add-on because you canā€™t access it if HA does not work.
So is any way to connect to VM file system not through HA add-ons for emergency reasons?

@SergeS
i think you are right if HA start failed.
First i make after every update a snapshot. If my system is running well, i saved the backup folder, stopp the VM and export it. So i have a backup of the VM. Next i try the option clone the system. If the backup folder is stored on your laptop, you can install the VM new and play back your backup. It is easier as a new install of windows.

You are correct, this procedure does not work from the web terminal. But the ā€œTerminal & SSHā€ add-on also creates a SSH server so you can set up a SSH session (for instance via PuTTY). Have you tried that?

Connection refused :frowning: It may be require specific port or something elseā€¦