Installation problem on X-86, can't get commnication using homeassistant.local:8123 or IP address:8123

Telnet is not enabled in Windows by default. To turn it on, go to the Control Panel, select “Programs and Features”, then click on the “Turn Windows features on or off” link on the left side of the window. From here find “Telnet” and turn it on. While you’re at it, enable Windows Subsystem for Linux as well. (Press OK).

From a command line you run: telnet homeassistant.local 8123. And, you will get a blank screen. This is a WTF response that you connected to the server over port 8123. To see what would happen if it does not connect, enter: telnet homeassistant.local 8888 and you will get a “connection failed” error.

If you have enabled “Windows Subsystem for Linux” on your PC, (highly recommended), (or if you have another PC running Linux) you can connect to port 8123 like this. Note, you have to use the server IP because WSL doesn’t do MDNS.

steve@River:~$ telnet 192.168.1.57 8123
Trying 192.168.1.57...
Connected to 192.168.1.57.
Escape character is '^]'.
Connection closed by foreign host.
steve@River:~$

You can see that this connected OK.

From the ha> command line, type

network info

once again. Do not obfuscate the results.

What X86 PC are you installing Home Assistant on? Did you remove the SSD and flash the binary to it using Etcher?

Here’s an exercise just for educational purposes… Download the Ubuntu Install binary (because that’s what I use), and use Etcher to flash it to a USB drive. Your X86 box should boot into Linux. Don’t install, just select “Test Ubuntu”. If the X86 PC will run Ubuntu, it will run Home Assistant. Exercise done.

Thank you for all the advice. I will try the telnet and linux suggestions.

The X86 is a Geekom MiniAir 11 11th Gen Intel Celeron, 256 GB M.2 SSD (website description says PCIe NVMe, but I am almost certain it is SATA. 2 key gaps and runs at about 550 MB/s). I removed the SSD and flashed it with Balena Etcher. I had previously updated WIN 11, just to make certain everything was working. I realized it would be overwritten.

As for “network info”, here is the result. I noticed that when I give the HA computer a command and press ENTER, it repeats on the command line (see “netwonetwork info” on command line when I typed only “network info”). Is that normal?

On any more or less recent Windows ( read: anything Windows 10 or newer) better open Powershell and enter
Test-NetConnection -ComputerName HostnameOrIP -Port 8123 -InformationLevel "Detailed"

No, this is not “normal” (probably a bug in the HA CLI container), but it probably is not related to your problem.
I am currently in exact the same phase as you: I installed a fresh copy of HAOS (haos_generic-x86-64-10.4.img) on a new x86 (Intel NUC), and I see exactly the same scrambled text: “netwonetwork info” when I type “network info”, but I can normally connect to the HA instance via a browser.

The ha command line is the Home Assistant Supervisor CLI.
When you type “–h” you will get an overview of the available commands you can use.

One of the commands for the CLI is host, and when you type “host –h” you will see that to shut down the computer you can type “host shutdown”.

Just to be sure: you were referring to being able to reboot the computer, but did you already do this once?
This because I found one case in the forums with a very similar problem, and the solution appeared to be to reboot the computer.

Thanks for the info. Could you provide an example of the actual command? I’ve looked at the help for that command, but I can’t seem to figure out the exact information and syntax. I’ve been trying things like:

tnc -10.0.0.82 - http://10.0.0.82:8123 -detailed

try
tnc -ComputerName 10.0.0.82 -Port 8123 -InformationLevel "Detailed"
Computername is the name of the parameter, followed by the name the computer you want to check

Armin

Thank you for the shutdown command. I have been shutting down by unplugging. Yes, I have shutdown and rebooted a number of times.

I tried to re-etch the HA program, but could not get the SSD to show up in Windows File Explorer (so also not in Balena Etcher). In Disk Management, I could see the partitions, but not a “whole disk” entry. Did not figure out how to re-format or initialize so I could re-etch. Suggestions? Otherwise, I think I drop about $20 and get a new SSD and etch the program on it to verify it isn’t a program problem.

Thank you. Here is the result:

PS C:\Users\louis> tnc -ComputerName 10.0.0.82 -Port 8123 -InformationLevel “Detailed” WARNING: TCP connect to (10.0.0.82 : 8123) failed
ComputerName : 10.0.0.82
RemoteAddress : 10.0.0.82
RemotePort : 8123
NameResolutionResults : 10.0.0.82
homeassistant
MatchingIPsecRules :
NetworkIsolationContext : Internet
IsAdmin : False
InterfaceAlias : Ethernet
SourceAddress : 10.0.0.50
NetRoute (NextHop) : 0.0.0.0
PingSucceeded : True
PingReplyDetails (RTT) : 0 ms
TcpTestSucceeded : False

Initially I just answered because of the recommendation to install and use “telnet” and a standard Windows meanwhile has better builtin methods :slight_smile:

this Windows computer was not able to connect to your home assistant on 10.0.0.82 Port 8123, but there is something at this IP-Address because the ping worked. And the connection is via Ethernet Cable

Two things are bit unusual in your setup:
the NetworkIsolationContext is “Internet”, usually this would be “Private Network”. In this case builtin Windows Firewall applies a different set of rules for inbound and outbound connections
you might want to switch off the windows firewall to check, but if the result is the same immediately switch it on again.
Do you have any other security software installed? Such software is usually labeled “Anti Virus”, but some of these packages install additional filters for inbound and outbound network traffic

The other is the IP-Address range provided by your router, via DHCP it provides IP-Adresses in the 10.0.0.0/24 network ( 10.0.0.1 to 10.0.0.254 are considered to be within the same network and can be reached with a router), typical routers for home us are more likely to use 192.168.x.y/24. But this is really just unusual, it is configured correctly. Might be a Comcast thing…

Next step would to verify that Homeassistant itself was started correctly, that would of course a reason why you can’t connect on 8123
But here I can’t really help with the commands to check, I’m using a different installation method for HA ( Standard Linux on Raspberry with HA Core in a Python Venv)

$20 for an M.2 2280 PCIe/SATA SSD? Wow, prices have dropped since I last ordered any.

In Windows use Partition Manager to delete all partitions on the old SSD then create one NTFS partition. Etcher will then see the whole partition.

Unlikely to be a firewall issue since he gets the same results from two different PCs and browsers.

I was also thrown by the IP range since I am in the US. Most home routers here use the 192.168.1.xxx range while Europe routers use 10.0.xxx.xxx.

I am ready to tell him to start over and flash the binary again. He only has time to lose at this point.

Try looking to see which containers are running

At the ha> prompt type login, then

docker ps

I want to thank you folks for the time you have spent and the suggestions you have made. Unless I find a solution in the interim, I plan to redownload and etch the program again. As I have mentioned, my problem is that since the previous download, I can’t see the disk (when connected by USB) on File Explorer or Balena Etcher on the Win11 computer, so I don’t know how to reformat or re-etch. Unless I figure that out (or you folks can help with it), I’ll spend $20 on a cheap M.2 drive and re-etch on that (and possibly be 2 drives down if it doesn’t work).

I am in the US, but I know nothing about home IP’s, but maybe the 10.0.XXX.XXX is a Comcast (Xfinity) thing.

Here is the result of the container inquiry. I notice that :4357 has a port listed and :8123 is not listed with a port. To my less than fully understanding mind, that could be a problem. Would some parameter reset on the HA computer fix it?

That’s because it is formatted as EXT4, most common in Linux systems which Home Assistant is. As I said before, if you run Partition Manager you should be able to erase existing partitions and repartition it as NTFS and start over.

1 Like

Thanks. I totally missed that.

BTW, there are 256mg M.2 SATA SSD’s on Amazon for about $20 US, but they aren’t the best brands.

I don’t think it is that. Checked my running instance

CONTAINER ID   IMAGE                                                        COMMAND               CREATED        STATUS                PORTS                                                 NAMES
d6eae069cc6b   ghcr.io/home-assistant/raspberrypi2-homeassistant:2023.8.1   "/init"               17 hours ago   Up 14 hours                                                                 homeassistant
d0a43378d789   3983e8d8/armv7-addon-letsdnsocloud:1.1                       "/init /run.sh"       3 days ago     Up 3 days                                                                   addon_3983e8d8_letsdnsocloud
4497b31ab884   ghcr.io/hassio-addons/motioneye/armv7:0.19.1                 "/init"               5 days ago     Up 5 days                                                                   addon_a0d7b954_motioneye
abcd15fc8631   sabeechen/hassio-google-drive-backup-armv7:0.111.1           "python3 -m backup"   5 days ago     Up 5 days             0.0.0.0:1627->1627/tcp, :::1627->1627/tcp, 8099/tcp   addon_cebe7a76_hassio_google_drive_backup
eeeecae9ce83   homeassistant/armv7-addon-configurator:5.6.0                 "/init"               5 days ago     Up 5 days (healthy)                                                         addon_core_configurator
3db68678fbca   ghcr.io/home-assistant/armv7-hassio-multicast:2023.06.2      "/init"               5 days ago     Up 5 days                                                                   hassio_multicast
706c651b78cb   ghcr.io/home-assistant/armv7-hassio-audio:2023.06.0          "/init"               5 days ago     Up 5 days                                                                   hassio_audio
41c9f34bcefb   ghcr.io/home-assistant/armv7-hassio-dns:2023.06.2            "/init"               5 days ago     Up 5 days                                                                   hassio_dns
4df6bca1433d   ghcr.io/home-assistant/armv7-hassio-cli:2023.06.0            "/init"               5 days ago     Up 5 days                                                                   hassio_cli
4cf4ffba3380   ghcr.io/home-assistant/armv7-hassio-observer:2023.06.0       "/usr/bin/observer"   4 weeks ago    Up 5 days             0.0.0.0:4357->80/tcp, :::4357->80/tcp                 hassio_observer
dd18e39f852c   ghcr.io/home-assistant/armv7-hassio-supervisor:latest        "/init"               4 weeks ago    Up 5 days                                                                   hassio_supervisor
:~#

Thank you. If you have an idea what the problem is, please let me know. As it stands, with the help I got from stevemann, I plan to re-etch the SDD, probably tomorrow. Hopefully that will work.

Thanks again. After your telling me it is EXT4, the lack of disk access makes a lot more sense. I’ll probably install the free version of Partition Manager or AOMEI and use that to reformat the disk tomorrow, then re-etch.