Installed and no progress at all lovelace cards yaml ui

On the way to HA with 3 Tasmota Sonoff bridges to control shutters and blinds on floorplan with picture elements cards.

From the age of 6502/Z80/assemblers and opcodes I now find myself in what seems a very very steep learning curve of Home Assistant.

Installed and running well on Raspberry Pi 3+ but any attempt to proceed into examples for cards i.e. custom compact header etc. fails with red error windows “card doesn’t excist”, “card not found”, card ïnvalid" etc. I access HA via Windows 8 with Chrome browser 74.0.3729.169 , purging caches via F5 and F12 has not brougt any changes.

Do all cards per haps have to be referenced in resources ui-lovelace.yaml and how does one do that card-modder or something like that.

The learning curve cannot be that steep, what am i missing?

The built in cards do not require the addition of resources.

The built in cards are listed in the right hand menu here:

If you paste your correctly formatted (see poinnt 11 here) card configuration here we can try to assist.

I have in my ui-lovelovelace.yaml:

• url: /local/plugins/compact-custom-header.js?v=1
    type: module
  • url: /local/plugins/compact-custom-header-editor.js?v=1
    type: js

In /config/plugins:
compact-custom-header.js
compact-custom-header-editor.js

config in the raw editor:
(example from (https://github.com/maykar)/ **[compact-custom-header]:
views:

• title: Panel View Example
    panel: true
    cards:
    • type: vertical-stack
      cards:
      • type: another-card
      • type: ‘custom:compact-custom-header’

Errors thrown are:
as per screen image attached.

One way or another I seems to be on the wrong track here.
Gratefull for any suggestion.
Regards
Martin

And the log from HA:
Is there something wrong with the Phyton parts of this??

You have the plugins in the wrong directory. If you have ‘local’ in your reference it refers to the folder ‘www’, so your plugins should be in the folder ‘/www/plugins’.

Also the card type 'another-card doesn’t exist, so type: another-card will not work.

1 Like

Thanks Burni**** I will try asap. Thanks all for assisiting.
BTW I cannot find the cards menu tom_I is referring to above

On the right hand side of the webpage he linked, there is a section ‘cards’ which lists all the built-in cards.

So not within HA itself. Just for reference and not to be imported or alike. Residient cards should work from the shelf?

Seems to me that you are trying to integrate custom cards before even using basic cards. Watch the video in the link and you’ll know how to add all the basic cards. Once you understand that, move the the harder stuff. You’re essentially jumping into the deep end without knowing how to swim

Watch the video.

Sorry, I don’t get what you are asking :slight_smile: What are ‘Residient’ cards?
There are two type of cards the standard, built-in cards and custom cards.
The built-in cards don’t need any reference, the custom cards however need a a plugin and the necessary reference to it.

I have tried for long but any attempt to use ‘standard’ card yields Ünable to save yaml [object Object]. I just couldn’t find any small standard example to start with at least not a working one.

Resident in-house built-in sorry my powerhouse english

Please show your code which was not working for a standard card.

I don’t know how you can be screwing it up. This is a simple card. There is no way to screw this up:

2019-05-23_12-25-20

Video is already much further than me.
I have one IP Light that HA is recognizing on startup.
But no way i can enter a sort of card editing as shown in the video.

What i am trying is adding cards for which the hardware is not yet energized, might that be the problem.

Going back now to original clean snap-shot once again.

I never have seen the "Pick the card"part of the Petro avi above how do i get ther where the h is that hidden?

Don’t use any custom card like compact-custom-header until you actually learn how to setup Lovelace using basic cards. They are listed here on the right hand side. And don’t just copy someone’s config from a post without knowing what each line of code is actually doing. Read the Lovelace documentation. Learn how to troubleshoot issues by starting with a working configuration, then add one new component at a time.

I know Home Assistant is very exciting once you start adding all the custom cards, but you’re just shooting yourself in the foot if you don’t start slow.

1 Like

I know and have done already most of your advices. Just couldn’t get passed one stupid thing. Not used to the UI i missed the bog ornage + to add cards. Found now and back on track. Thanks all for your patience and I will certainly report back here when the results are showable. Have a nice day!
MArtin

1 Like