Installing (deprecated) hassio on Ubuntu 18.04

Hi guys,

I just bought an Intel NUC and want to run HASSIO in a docker container. I know they want to deprecate hassio for linux systems which they put now on hold, but I want to install it anyway.

I tried to install hassio with this command:

curl -sL "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/master/installer.sh" | bash -s

But get the following message:

[Warning] This installer is no longer supported.
[Warning]
[Warning] Home Assistant might work today, tomorrow maybe not.
[Warning]
[Warning] If you want more control over your own system, run
[Warning] Home Assistant as a VM or run Home Assistant Core
[Warning] via a Docker container.
[Warning]
Please typ "not supported" to continue this installation
bash: line 17: syntax error near unexpected token `then'

How to continue the installation? If I typ “not support” it is saying: not supported: command not found

My linux skills are still noob so sorry about that!

Thanks!

You can use the NUC specific image.

That means I only can use the NUC for HA which I don’t want, I want it in a docker container so I can use the NUC for other things as well

1 Like

Install the Proxmox OS, install HassOS as a VM, install Ubuntu Server as a VM. I tried this today, it works well.

curl -sL "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.sh" | bash -s -- -m intel-nuc

That’s the old script, it was changed a few weeks ago.

This command doesn’t work:

bash: line 1: 404:: command not found

What I said above - it’s an old version of the script.

The new version is this

curl -sL "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/master/installer.sh" | bash -s -- -m intel-nuc
1 Like

I think this will be my last option, really want to keep it easy so if there is a way to install without proxmox and VM’s that would I prefer.

Thanks @kanga_who i did this a long time ago.

Same outcome :frowning:

[Warning] This installer is no longer supported.
[Warning]
[Warning] Home Assistant might work today, tomorrow maybe not.
[Warning]
[Warning] If you want more control over your own system, run
[Warning] Home Assistant as a VM or run Home Assistant Core
[Warning] via a Docker container.
[Warning]
Please typ "not supported" to continue this installation
bash: line 17: syntax error near unexpected token `then'

No worries.

The problem still stands though - this install method will be depracated soon, so a brand new install using this method is not such a good idea.

I know - it is not being supported any longer.

Damn, that is unfortunate. They have put it on hold for now because they got a lot of negetive reactions on their decision, hopefully they continue to support hassio on linux.

For now it might be better to install home assistant core and have the add-ons running in their own docker container.

@darryl12123 Looks like they changed the installer.sh script to show the not supported message, but an bug was introduced by doing that.
The deprecation is on hold, so this install should still work IMO. Maybe you can make a Github issue for this.

Edit: I think the code should be changed from

if [ "$x" != "not supported" ]
then
  echo "OK, bye!"
  exit 1
fi

to

if [ "$x" != "not supported" ]; then
  echo "OK, bye!"
  exit 1
fi
1 Like

I looked at it. It takes 1 minute to work around it. But if you don’t know how to fix that, you probably should not use this installation method.

3 Likes

@gerard33 thanks for helping

Never done that before, but is this the correct place to raise an issue?

I this case it would be better to install hassio in a VM?

1 Like

Probably. The depreciation is only [on hold], a vm is supported.

Should be done here https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer but that repo is archived for now, so you can’t make an issue right now.

I have a NUC myself and run Proxmox on it. Then you can run multiple VMs from which HA is one of them. Also the snapshot function you then have is a real handy feature.
I would advise you to have a look at that first and then decide how to proceed.

Thanks for the tip. Something else I’ve to dive into… do you have by any chance a tutorial or info page you can share?