Installing HA on a computer what OS

It is also difficult to find an i386 computer!

I thought that since I have a Intel processor in my Laptop I should install i386 version, my bad

Itā€™s an easy mistake to make: 64-bit machines will happily run 32-bit linux, so you can certainly install and use the i386 version on a modern machine, but thereā€™s no benefit to doing so unless youā€™re extremely short of disk space, and there are a few disadvantages.

In the early days, Docker required a 64-bit kernel, and still does so, officially. I think there are now ways to make it run on 32-bit, but itā€™s not worth the effort in any normal case.

Glad youā€™re making progress!

1 Like

Thanks you and all the others for all your input itā€™s what makes working with Home Assistant so good. Now I have to do some reading on how HA and Docker work

Iā€™m thinking I should re-install Debian using the amd64 image and re-installing Docker. Is there any benefit in using Debian over Ubuntu? Not real familiar with Linux apps any input leaning either way you help

Not really.

1 Like

I installed virtual box on top of Windows, then Ubuntu, then ran the GitHub script about to install docker then hassio. Process took less than 45 minutes. I migrated my nodered and HA environment was running in less than 2 hours.

1 Like

Thanksā€¦your good pal

Yeah, it was really easy. Iā€™m not a linux person either. I know command line in windows, but am a newbie with linux. To do what I did above was really easy. After doing research about ubuntu vs. debian I went with Ubuntu as they keep their repositories more up to date than debian (thatā€™s what I read at least). Itā€™s quite user friendly and it looks nice. You could just install Ubuntu on your device vs. doing a virtual environment, but I wanted windows on my ā€œserverā€ as well as there are some things that just run better on windows and thatā€™s what Iā€™m most comfortable using.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your input. I bought a Intel laptop and I wanted to dual boot both windows 10 and Lenux but after playing around and advice from others Iā€™ll just boot into Lenux running Ubuntu server 18. Itā€™s been a learning curve for sure

yeah, running ubuntu in virtualbox allowed me to have the best of both worlds

1 Like

Re the Ubuntu vs Debian questionā€¦

Ubuntu was based on Debian (which came first), and no, thereā€™s not a great deal to choose between them.

Tradition has it - and this is perhaps an over-generalisation- that Ubuntu moves faster, so itā€™s more likely to have the latest and coolest features and work out of the box with new hardware, graphics cards, etc. Debian moves more slowly and cautiously, so is generally more stable and predictable (and supports more chip architectures).

In general Iā€™ve tended to recommend Ubuntu on the desktop and I now tend to use Debian for running servers, especially since the flexibility of Docker makes you less dependent on exactly whatā€™s underneath, and my chief requirement is for that underlying platform to be reliable and not change too much from year to year.

But I do still have quite a lot of Ubuntu servers running big production systems for clientsā€¦

This!!!

I saw a youtube video comparing debian and ubuntu and ubuntu pretty much won - mainly because of all the shinny new features. But inexplicably, the guy who did the video said that distribution upgrades on his Ubuntu system had completely hosed his system 2 or 3 timesā€¦ lolā€¦ that was enough for me to never touch it.

Totally agree re: docker - it doesnā€™t matter what the underlying system is which is a beautiful thing. So itā€™s debian for stability for me but I know I have docker containers based on Ubuntu and Alpine but it doesnā€™t matter at all.

Which can happen literally on any distro.

The FUD surrounding Ubuntu server is unfounded. I run many many production Ubuntu server VMs, and have yet to hose Ubuntu server. I havenā€™t hosed an Ubuntu desktop install since 2010 upgradeā€¦

Seriously, stop being so paranoid.

Seriously stop being so patronizing

1 Like

I also run many Ubuntu and Debian production servers, and Iā€™ve never hosed one completely by doing an upgrade. But I will say that the upgrades in general go more smoothly on Debian (where Iā€™ve never had an issue) than on Ubuntu (where a few things usually need fixing).

Though to be fair, these have often been multi-stage upgrades where old servers have had to be taken through several versions, and the fact that Ubuntu changes more quickly causes more issues, for third-party software if not for the core OS itself. (E.g our startup scripts on Ubuntu went from sysv to upstart to systemd, while on Debian they only had to make one change.)

On the other hand, the Ubuntu version-naming scheme, though silly, is a lot better than Debianā€™s :slight_smile:

Weā€™re probably going into more detail here than is appropriate for an HA forum, though. My fault :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all of your input.

Just a follow up I installed Debian 9, Docker-CE
HASSIO and Portainer and it seams like things are working. I copied all of my yaml files over from my Pi, install my addons and now I have to work out some display errors which is not a problems.

How do you guys re-start HASSIO after making changes, Iā€™ve tried the old way but it doesnā€™t seam to see my yaml changes.

The ā€˜oldā€™ way? That is still the current wayā€¦ Either through the GUI Configuration>Restart Server or via ssh (in the ssh addon for hassio) hassio ha restartā€¦ What other ways are there?

1 Like