Installing HAOS in a VM on TrueNAS SCALE

On my old nas I was able to access the config files via smb. Since this is a zvol, has anyone figured out a way to get access?

I’ve used either the SAMBA add-on or the SSH add-on for this.

The only way I know, without using an add-on, is to enable SSH to HAOS itself.

thanks for this, it installs and looks like its running but no usernames or passwords are being accepted

Done the same like in the guide. But nothing shows up. If i click monitor i just see some shell, thats all but no life signs from homeassistant

same problem here. Seems that the qemu command isn’t availble in truenas core 13… so we’re stucked indeed.

Hi folks,

Sorry, I’m away and unable to help with installation issues for some time.

That is correct – This guide is for TrueNAS SCALE, which is the Linux-based version of TrueNAS.

TrueNAS CORE is based on FreeBSD and uses a different hypervisor which is why the qemu command is unavailable. The good news is, that you can still install HAOS in a VM on TN CORE following this guide instead

1 Like

@Elfir If you find a way of doing this I’d be interested to know what you did. I’m still looking and if I have any success I’ll let you know.

Hello everyone.
I’m instaling se haos on a VM as @troy 's instructions. It work smoothly until the onboarding screen.
I was able to create my account, but on the next screen, the country field is missing and I can’t move to the next step…

I did the instalation twice and had the same result…

Any sugestions?

Thanks

can you manually edit these values and continue? skip?

@aelg305 I can edit all fields but the country. Whe I click next, it show an error message and I can’t go past this screen.

I don’t know if there any file I can manually edit to baypass this error…

I’m still trying to figure out what is happening…
I created a VM on a Windows computer (virtualbox) and tried several versions of HAOS (10.3 to 9.0) and everytime the result was the same: there is no country selector and I can’t go beyond this screen…
I don’t know if if something related to this, but I’m from Brazil… Is there some issue relate to my ip address?

Hi Fabiano,

This sounds like it could be a bug within Home Assistant itself. Maybe consider filing a bug report.

Yes, I was thinking the same… Thanks for your reply.

1 Like

hi,
I’m facing an issue when I try to add Skyconnect to my HA running on freeness.
I tried the guide but when I run the command
"freenas[]> system advanced update kernel_extra_options=“module_blacklist=cp210x”

I receive:

invalid arguments: kernel_extra_options
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/cli", line 10, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/midcli/__main__.py", line 109, in main
    cli.run()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/midcli/__main__.py", line 95, in run
    self.context.do_input(parsed)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/midcli/context.py", line 277, in do_input
    namespace = self.current_namespace.do_input(text)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/midcli/context.py", line 61, in do_input
    return i.do_input(parsed)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/midcli/context.py", line 61, in do_input
    return i.do_input(parsed)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/midcli/context.py", line 64, in do_input
    i.do_input(parsed)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/midcli/command.py", line 177, in do_input
    for name, v in args.items():
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'items'
freenas% 

How I can solve? the device is not shown in the /dev/serial
thanks in advice

Hi dinoc93,

Other users have reported the sky connect should just work with USB pass through in your VM settings.

I don’t think you need to blacklist anything for the sky connect

Thanks @troy , I also thought it didn’t work as per the comments but unfortunately I’don’t see it neither in /dev/serial neither I passtrough.
Instead if I try to connect on my laptop I see it correctly. But maybe I need to check again somethings in bios or similar, because freeness is updated but nothing:

ls: /dev/serial: No such file or directory

freenas% ls /dev/serial/

ls: /dev/serial/: No such file or directory

Thanks again

1 Like

If you go to VM settings and try to add a USB device does it show up in the drop down list

(Screenshot is for reference, showing differant device)

thanks for reply @troy, nothing shown, I tried both with vm powered off that running but not appear in device list

It should show up as a USB pass through device… Not PCI pass through

If it doesn’t show up there either then I’m sorry I don’t think I can help at the moment. Maybe someone else can jump in with something to try.

Sorry I hadn’t noticed… but I don’t have the option for usb pass trough.
Thanks I undstrand an thanks for your support!!