Installing HAOS in a VM on TrueNAS SCALE

Can’t get past the UEFI shell.
Yes, it’s set to Linux and using VirtIO.

I’ve retried many times with different ZVOLs and have used both ones created by using the VM creation GUI and ones I create both before and after with the exact same result. Tried 32GB exact, larger, smaller, no change.

I’ve used different versions of HAOS qcow2 files as well (up to the latest 10rc2 files).

Always boots into the UEFI shell and never shows any file systems when selecting boot from file either.

Tried forcing the file conversion using -f qcow2 -O raw with no luck either.
sudo doesn’t help.

Tried it on multiple vdevs and in different locations as well with no luck. Other VMs work just fine.

Various configurations of other VM settings make no difference.

TrueNAS Scale - Bluefin [release]
Primary VDEV for the ZVOL is a pair of mirrored 2TB NVME M.2 drives.

Been using HAOS for years, hypervisors, including KVM, and other stuff for years, and I’m stumped.

I’ve tried converting from other image types even and I get the same result.

I humbly come to ask for help.

Hi @VDM - I’ve been lucky HAOS has not had this issue, but I had the same problem with a Debian VM.

I’m busy with work right now, so I can only share a link - Hopefully, this will help get you running for now.

1 Like

Hey @troy

Thanks for the reply!

That’s one of the first things I tried, having had the experience in the past before myself as well.

There aren’t even and files listed. It’s like it doesn’t even see the drives.

I’ve continued to work on this since posting and have also tried direct dd image copy after converting the qcow2 file, also without luck and with no files visible.

Confounding for sure!

Thanks again!

Right, so I gave up and went the supervised route.

Even Debian gave me trouble booting after an install and I had to edit Grub but I got it working (Using the link troy shared works great for anyone else who stumbles across this).

Super weird given that Debian itself has also never had issues in the past - I must have borked something somewhere else and just cant find it.

Other OSs work fine - Windows, Ubuntu, etc.

Anyway - Got my Coral M.2 via PCIe riser working via passthrough with Frigate just fine now.

At least now I’m officially a community member instead of a lurker :smiley:

Thanks again @troy

I’m having the same issue. I have a win10 VM running just fine.

I tried both options as well, running the shell and doing it via the GUI. But no go.

Had any luck lately?

Hey there, I had the shell prompt. What I did wront was use the wrong location for the ZVOL. I used the mnt path. I changed the qemu-img convert to use the /dev/{{pool-name}}/{{otherdir if app}}/{{yourZVOLName}}

Hope it helps.

2 Likes

Thanks for this. I had a dozen or so failed installs and bad configs prior to finding this post.

1 Like

VM stays in a eternal loop in GRUB:

hi there : my HAOS wont boot, because it stays in a loop: Slot A

• then reboots

any advice appreciated :slight_smile:

hi there
did it work out ?
-seems i’m with the same troubles…

Many thanks to @troy for this guide. It has worked flawlessly.

As TrueNAS Scale is evolving, there is a new option, WM min memory. I chose 1GB, with 2GB as the max / nominal value. In that way, the WM is only using 1GB at the moment, with half of that taken by homeassistant. Docs say that RAM amount will be increased up to the max if neeced. For me, a double win, as my modest NUC only has 8GB.

I have a MQTT broker as an App. To be able to communicate the VM with apps I had to create a bridge as explained above.

I am still sweating to have bluetooth working. There is an integrated Intel BT device, which works in TrueNAS after installing extra firmware and even scans nearby devices, but fails completely in HAOS:

[    4.220393] usbcore: registered new interface driver btusb
[    6.277999] Bluetooth: hci0: command 0x0c03 tx timeout
[    7.299711] Bluetooth: BNEP (Ethernet Emulation) ver 1.3
[    7.299719] Bluetooth: BNEP filters: protocol multicast
[    7.299725] Bluetooth: BNEP socket layer initialized
[   14.662033] Bluetooth: hci0: sending initial HCI reset failed (-110)

Advice welcome!

1 Like

I’m trying to use Coral USB with this installation of Home Assistant os on Truenas, but I cannot understand how to do the usb passthrough.

Here are a few quick screenshots… hopefully these will help.

After you’ve added your device, start the VM again. With any luck, it should show up in HAOS.

For the most part, this USB passthrough seems to work rather well. Please let us know if you’re successful or not.

Good Luck!

when does HAOS get installed?

It’s not a typical install… Here we are just downloading an image and writing it too disc. The disc in our case is the zvol. I guess these steps would be considered the installation. After that it’s just a matter of adding the zvol to a VM and booting up.

1 Like

I keep getting this in the initiation window,

23-06-10 09:01:10 ERROR (SyncWorker_2) [supervisor.docker.interface] Can’t install ghcr.io/home-assistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:2023.6.1: 404 Client Error for http+docker://localhost/v1.42/images/ghcr.io/home-assistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:2023.6.1/json: Not Found (“No such image: Package qemux86-64-homeassistant · GitHub”)
23-06-10 09:01:10 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.homeassistant.core] Error on Home Assistant installation. Retry in 30sec
23-06-10 09:01:40 INFO (SyncWorker_1) [supervisor.docker.interface] Updating image Package qemux86-64-homeassistant · GitHub to Package qemux86-64-homeassistant · GitHub
23-06-10 09:01:40 INFO (SyncWorker_1) [supervisor.docker.interface] Downloading docker image Package qemux86-64-homeassistant · GitHub with tag 2023.6.1.

my zvol is a 100 gigs

i have this problem after download: unxz: haos_ova-10.2.qcow2.xz No such file or directory

Please share the output of first command after you download the file

i just did the command and this is the result

I wonder if your first download was either corrupt or did not complete successfully.

In your screenshot I see subsequent downloads are appending a number suffix and unxz is complaining about that.

Looking at the last three lines in the screenshot you shared the suffix is .3

Unxz ignores the suffix so I think it’s trying to unzip the first download but it says unexpected end of input.

Please try removing all downloaded copies of the hass ova file and try again. If it fails again, please share the full output of download and attempt to unzip again.

Thanks, and sorry for the trouble

1 Like

now i am stuck here