Installing HAOS on VM

I’m trying to install HAOS on a virtual machine but I’m having some issues. The only directions that I can find require you to first boot from a USB then to install the OS. I’m having trouble finding a way to do this since it’s a virtual machine. Is there a way that I can just install it directly? Is anyone able to share a disk image that is compatible with my hypervisor (XCP-ng)? Any other ideas? I could just do a docker install but I would really like to have plugins available if possible. Thanks in advance.

These are the instructions for installing under a VM on Windows or Linux. There’s also a bunch of useful information googling “home assistant XCP-ng”.

1 Like

If your VM is Proxmox, there is a helper script that works very well.

Keep in mind, this is some guys code, so run at your own risk. It has been around for a while though with no reported issues.

1 Like

Try my guide, I believe the most comprehensive on the planet. Created for Proxmox but can easily be adapted to work on any virtualisation tech.

Install HAOS inside a VM.

Any hypervisor should have the ability to load an ISO as a “disk” that you would boot from instead of using a USB. From there, just follow the regular instructions.

Or use the VMDK route as this poster did:

Thank you for posting this! I was looking (hoping) for a simple VM install for HAOS and you led me right to it!