Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

I was looking into the documentation and we can read the following:
" Is USB Boot for the Pi4 supported? Is the Pi4 with 8GB RAM supported?

The bootloader for Home Assistant OS (uboot) does not yet support Pi4 booting from USB. Support is likely a month or two away as of July 2020.

The Pi4 with 8GB RAM is now supported on the 64-bit image."

-> Ddoes anyone knows when it will be officially supported(boot from USB/SSD)?

I don’t know, but I just finished migrating to Rpi4 8Gb ram and it works well with HassOs version 5.5

Hi guys I set this up on my Pi4 last night.
For some reason version 5.3&5.5 wouldn’t boot in any usb slot.
So I tried 5.4 and it booted from the usb2 ok.
The part about updating does that mean I can now update the OS to the latest official to take me out of the Dev version or do I have to keep on the Dev for now ?
Also if I was to turn the Pi off and swap the usb to the USB3 slot do you think it would boot?
And lastly I plugged in my usb ZigBee stick and the Pi seemed to stop responding do you guys use a powered usb hub when adding additional usb devices ?
Thanks

I have an Enocean USB 300 stick and a Crucial BX500 connected to and power supplied by the Pi4. No USB hub, no additional power supply. It is important though to use a sufficiently strong power plug for the Pi, i.e. the official 15 Watt Raspberry 4 power supply.

Thanks yeah i have the 3 amp power supply,
It seems to be working now but i can’t boot from SSD when using the usb3 ports.

Hey @Jpsy Is there any advantages or disadvantages between your guide and Installing Home Assistant Supervised on Raspberry Pi OS?

This sounds very much like the SATA-to-USB adapter problem discussed in the guide and in many comments here. Use another adapter. Recommendation contained in the guide.

I have never tried that version. AFAIK the supervised version was announced to be discontinued but that was revoked again due to heavy requests from the community to continue it. If you use that version you will have to keep two separate systems up-to-date. Why would you do that?

I bought the Eluteng adapter you recommended in post 1 which does seem to work ok.
I’ll try again maybe I’m not waiting long enough for it to boot fully.

That’s the key part I wasn’t aware of, thanks, I don’t fully understand the difference between the traditional install and the OS install.

Also I assume updating the OS is not the same as updating HASS?, and HASS will need to be updated independently.

If you installed the supervised version the answer is YES. You have to install and maintain RPi OS and HA separately.
If you install the version described in this guide the answer is NO. It comes bundled with its own OS and updates OS and HA together.

Sounds ideal, but a little confused by the procedure “ha os update”, will this be the route for every HASS release like the most recent 0.118.0?

Any reason why you suggest the Development Release and not the latest?

No. Updates to HA like. 0.118.0 are initiated using the HA frontend as normal. Updates to HA OS like 5.5 would also be started from frontend, but currently do not appear there as they are on dev channel, not on release our beta. Updates initiated through frontend are only possible for release and beta channels. So you currently have to use CLI to update the 5.x OS. As soon as HA OS 5 is officially released you can do all updates through the web frontend.

USB boot for RPi4 is only possible with HA OS version 5.x series.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification, only inquiring because I just got my Pi 4 8Gb (ordered prior to reading your guide :frowning_face:), and preparing to start an all new install in an effort to upgrade my instance of Hassbian running on a Pi 3b+, and looking for the cleanest install option, utilizing minimum system resources to allow for optimum performance, and full control over the native OS

Following this guide you will - in a not so distant future - be able to do ALL updates (HA, OS and supervisor) through simple clicks in the HA frontend.

1 Like

Updating Raspberry Pi OS literally takes 1 min, once a month, or less often if you choose. Other than that, you do nothing to the OS and use and update HA, add-ons, Supervisor, as normal from the web interface.

@Coolie1101 running a Supervised install is very simple, however, you may find it easy to use the official HA OS image as is used in this guide.

After reading the 0.118.0 release notes and watching the release party stream yesterday it seems that 5.x of HA OS is getting very close to a stable release and native install on an 8gb Pi4 will be supported OOTB.

Are you saying following this guide is best, or HA OS on Raspberry Pi OS?

I don’t want to suggest not to follow someone else’s guide. The choice is up to you. Both options work and have advantages and disadvantages.

This is what I’m trying to figure out.

I did a test install on another Pi3b using your guide here but it shows unsuported installation.

Correct, Supervised on any other OS than Debian 10 is ‘officially’ unsupported. It still works without issue though (my own backup machine is a Pi4 4gb with a Supervised install).

Even Frenck runs an unsupported install from what I saw in the live stream yesterday, so it’s not a huge deal. All it means is that you will need to reply on the forums for support and can’t post issues to Github.

1 Like