Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

Did you start out on 5.9 or upgrade?

Started from a fresh 5.9 and then restored my previous microSD full snapshot

Well crap, back to the drawing board. I had 5.2 running with no issues, just tried updating to 5.9 and I cannot access home assistant now. With a monitor connected I get as far as showing Welcome to Home Assistant with a login prompt and that’s it. Cannot see the rpi on my network.

I never had any issues with SSD booting with the PI4 and i am running this direct after the first release of V5.0. I have followed every update without any problems. At the moment i am running 5.10 now!

I upgraded in the UI.

Edit: and of course, shortly after I wrote this, HA fell over, and needed a power reboot. First time it’s happened. System back up, and all working, as far as I can see.

Started with fresh 5.9, added user & finished initial setup, then restored snapshot.

Did you try setting up WiFi with nmcli?

nmcli device wifi connect "YOUR_SSID" password "YOUR_WIFI_PASSWORD"

The result of nmcli con show would be interesting as well.

workarounded this with this:
I attached my SSD with HassOS 5.9 to my PC, I opened the boot partition and added
“usbcore.old_scheme_first=Y” to /boot/cmdline.txt

this fixed the problem.

1 Like

I flashed 5.2 on mine again and now I can’t get it to show up on my network. Not at home right now but, I have a monitor connected and at the moment it shows Home assistant login prompt. If I use “root” as login, it says something along the lines of data partition not mounted, using emergency cli or something like that.

1 Like

What I have done to get it working.

This worked 100% OK apart for the other USB peripherals that were not recognized after an host reboot.
For this problem I opened an issue here:

and then solved as described in the issue.

1 Like

Is anyone able to use CC2531 stick after switching to SSD?

As I already wrote above, if you’re using USB3 this might cause heavy interference on the 2.4Ghz band, and Zigbee happens to be in that range :expressionless:

How can USB create interferences - when using an USB extension cable to plug in the ZigBee stick not directly to the Pi‘s USB ports instead a bit away, this should be fine I think.

Just an update on this issue.

It seems updating to 5.8 also messes with the bootloader.
The Devs have since addressed this, as 5.9 onwards no longer updates the EEPROM firmware.

Applying the below fix, then burning 5.10 (latest stable) to my SSD has fixed this. After a snapshot restore I’m back up and running.

EDIT: Link added. here

1 Like

Linked the paper, didn’t know about that either.
Yes, moving the stick away from the SSD/adapter might help. As mentioned in my case it rendered my wireless keyboard/mouse and 2.4Ghz Wifi useless.

“Applying the below fix, then burning 5.10 (latest stable) to my SSD has fixed this.”?

What did you do to get it working?

I have it working using the recommended adapter and a 240GB Kingston SATA SSD but only on USB2 ports. When I connect to USB3 it seems to not be able to access the hassos-overlay and hassos-data partitions. For reference I’m using this adapter

along with a Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB. It still works great but I’d like to get it working on USB3.

Thanks.

I have the same adapter with a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB and I had 5.2 booted from USB3. Tried to update and I think it changed my eeprom when I updated. Trying to get 5.10 booted now.

I’m running 5.10. Maybe that has something to do with it. Let me know if you have the same issue.

I’ve tried 4 times now on USB3 and USB3 and I get to this point and it never shows up on my network. What eeprom version do you have? Just curious.

I’m not sure how to get the version now without popping the Raspberry OS SD card back in, but it was from Dec 2020. I literally upgraded from an SD card this afternoon. I get to that point as well, but with a bunch of errors on boot. Then if I log in with root, I get an error about not being able to mount hassio-data and its loading emergency console or something like that.