Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

Do you have problems with the bleutooth range on your setup? I use device tracker on HA and on my Rpi3 my phone was detected all through my house , now detection range is aprox 4m.

1. Default boot order is sd and then USB
    But you van change that. You can fijne info on the raspberry.org site.
    Iā€™m gonna change it to boot USB and then de.
    That way, i can leave the SD in the rpi and it will boot from de always when i remove thee USB.
    I have and argon one m2 and to reach the SD, i need to open the case. So, i guess this is the easiest solution

@stefan.uytterhoeven, @Vdwkes, thanks for the info. Good to know we still can boot from SD card. Just left with the question about the Supervisor updates and the Core updates, would like to know if there is any difference between what we are doing with sd card.

Also, is anyone using CC2531 with RPi that boot from SSD? Does it work?

Oscar, thank you for your post. Though I could not believe the ssd interfered with the zwave stick (which was connected using a 10 cm extension cable, obviously not enough), you were right. Now I am using a 150cm usb extension cable, and all problems are gone. Astonishing. Tx again.

1 Like

I followed the instructions and have Home Assistant booted up on my rpi4 8gb with a samsung ssd. I can see it on my network, I know the ip but, homeassistant.local:8123, hassio.local:8123, homeassistant:8123 ip-of-the-instance:8123 doesnā€™t work. I can ping it, thatā€™s about it. I already have an instance of home assistant running so I tried changing the hostname on it to something other than homeassistant. Also powered down my existing rpi and that didnt work either. It shows up on my network as homeassistant7. So I tried using that also. No luck.

I have a monitor and keyboard connected and it shows Welcome to Home Assistant with a login prompt. Not sure where to go from here.

could be a problem with USB adaptor see part in first post " use the right sata to usb3 adaptor"

And i know with my setup i couldnt use a samsung SSD, this was stated by manufacturer

Great to hear!

I believe Home Assistant is up and running just fine on my Samsung SSD. I just cant access it. I see it on the network. Acts like there are no open ports.

Thank you, this worked without a hitch!

I used the Argon One case with an M2 SSD and this M2 enclosure so I could flash it from my computer

Thanks bas996, I expected than only me have the same problem with zwave dongle. Im waiting for a versiĆ³n wuitout this problem., i returned to rpi4 with sdcard and 32 bits Ha versiĆ³nā€¦

If you discover a solution please send say meā€¦

Thanks

Mine works on ssd, 64bit, os=5.2. Running over a week with no freeze.

The (unexpected simple) solution is using an usb extension cable. For some reason the usb3.0-sata-SSD combination interferes with the zwave stick. Now my zwave stick is approximately one meter away it works perfectly.

Did you connect the SSD via a USB3 slot? Just found out the hard way that USB3 interferes heavily with 2.4GHz Wifi - to the point where connecting to any 2.4GHz Wifis is just impossible.

My alternatives:

1. switch to 5GHz Wifi (much smaller range and therefore unreliable)
  2. plug USB-SATA adapter into USB2 slot (initial setup takes more than 1h as of now, took only a few minutes with USB3)
  3. switch to wired connection (ethernet)
  4. buy a different adapter? Seems to work perfectly fine when connected to USB3, though

Yes I did connect to USB3. I also tried wireless and ethernet. Either way I could ping the device but could never get to the frontend for some reason.

Flashed 5.2 version and now Iā€™m getting this. Buy I do not see it on my network. How can I set the network up their HA CLI? Our is that even possible?

Not sure what you are asking?

Ha core info
Ha su info
Ha network info

Nevermind. Itā€™s up and running. I guess I needed to wait a little longer.

Just curious, Have you tried updating to the latest HA?

Have you upgraded to the latest 5.9 yet? Just curious, finally got mine working on 5.2 this morning. Kind of scared to update it. LOL

5.8 and then 5.9 both failed for me. Went back to 5.2. Working for almost 10 days with no issues.

2 Likes