Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

Yes, you can.

1 Like

In the excellent directions, do you know if anyone reported" login screen comes up DO NOT use the snapshot restore feature of this screen. There have been multiple reports that installing a snapshot from here does not work and may even ruin your virgin HA installation. There seems to be some incompatibility of snapshots created with other HA OS versions. Instead define your new admin user and do a fresh first start. Then go to Supervisor » Snapshots and use the dot menu in the upper right corner to upload and restore your snapshot." The standard restore was added several versions ago for ease of update. If it doesn’t work, a bug report should be generated.

This exact same thing has just happened to me too.
Upgraded the Core to 5.8 and it never came back.

Reetching HassOS5.3, 5.6 or 5.8 to the SSD isn’t working.
It just sits there with no activity light on the SSD.

Can you guys recommend the go to can´t miss adapter in AliExpress?

Wait, so you’re saying to flash the latest, non-developer 5.8 version, and ignore the original instructions that say to flash the latest developer version, which currently is 5.7? Or am I completely missing that 5.8 is actually also a developer version despite being branded stable.

FWIW ever since the Core upgrade attempt issue, I only tried flashing 5.7 on the SSD to get back up and running again, and didn’t reattempt 5.6 or the newer 5.8. Hopefully you’ve already gotten things already working, but in case you haven’t, you may want to try this weird trick that worked for me.

Even after reflashing 5.7, then plugging the SSD back into the powered off Pi and then turning the Pi on, I still got the zero activity lights on the SSD (other than a single brief flash to indicate initial power) with no booting nor onboarding. What eventually got the activity lights to start flickering, and it to successfully boot and begin onboarding, was this: with the Pi already ON, I then unplugged the lifeless SSD from the ON Pi, then replugged the SSD back in to the STILL-ON Pi. And like magic, the SSD started flickering and everything started working. This weird advice likely isn’t for everyone; it’s possible my fix only applied to my specific SSD and adapter; it definitely goes against conventional knowledge with respect to avoiding data corruption and not unplugging devices not properly disconnected or powered down, but here we are; it’s what worked for me when nothing else would get the activity light going again.

In reference with my reply I have tried another time to install latest 64 bits stable version. And I have exactly the same problems, for remember…:

I have the following external devices:

1. PI 4 4 GB ram.
  2. ConBee II Zigbee USB dongle.
  3. Sigma Designs Zwave Plus USB dongle.

These devices works without problem with HA system 32 bits on SD card.

For the migration I bought:

1. ELUTENG Cables USB to SATA for 2.5 SATA SSD/HDD
  2. Crucial BX500 240 GB CT240BX500 SSD disk

Following the tutorial from this post but with the latest stable version I installed the HA version: hassos_rpi4-64-5.8.img.xz.

When I restore my last snapshot from the old system (32 bits), HA starts without problem from the SSD but with the following problems:

1. My Sigma Designs - Z-Wave Plus USB was detected but all the z-wave devices don’t works, for example, if I turn ON a zwave light automatically the systems turn OFF inmediately . I tried to change the port from USB 3 to USB 2 and the same problem… I tried to connect the zwave usb dongle to a extension USB cable and same problem.

In other hand, the zigbee dongle works well and I can see all my zigbee devices and they works perfect.

1. HACS integration don’t starts, and I need to unistall and install another time. Really Is not a problem…
  2. AEMET integration don’t works

The rest of the systems works well. But zwave network it’s impossible to works correctly.

Please, any help about this situation?. Any people have similar problems with zwave integration with a similar dongle?. Can be a problem with the drivers for this dongle?

Thanks in advance,

Thank you Sean!

This has been driving me mental for hours, but now finally I got the ‘Preparing Home Assistant’ screen up and have restored my snapshot. That’s after much time spend fiddling around with the eeprom etc.

I’m using a Kingspec Z3 SSD. Same as yours?

i just hope this issue doesn’t persist and cause trouble after any restarts or power cycles. This update has broken something for me.

Well now I have to know; was it the ‘unplugging-replugging-while-pi-still-on’ weird trick that got it going? Even if it wasn’t I’m glad you got it sorted it out, but if it was, well, 2 different datasets with a common solution might be enough to be helpful to others as well.

My SSD is Inland (Microcenter in-house brand; unclear who they outsource from). My SSD USB enclosure/adapter is SSK brand, ‘USB 3.1 Gen 2 NVMe PCIe M-Key’ bought off Amazon.

What version did you flash, and what Core are you running now? I’m still on the flashed 5.7, but I suspect if I had the courage to try updating Core to 5.8, it would probably once again reboot to the “dead” SSD, but I also suspect that simply unplugging and replugging the SSD with the Pi still on would let it boot back up and complete the upgrade to 5.8.

Hey guys, just a weird idea about your SSDs not even trying to start up:
Are you sure that your power supply’s specification meets the requirements of your SSD? Do you use the original RPi4 power plug and have you checked whether the max current of your drive can be provided?

how can it be related to os upgrade?

For those of you struggling with USB after the latest update, it is due to the latest eeprom firmware on the pi, not HA.

I had lots of issues but now back to normal, this is what worked for me…

1st I had to update the firmware of my USB controller, to one that supports NO_UAS. Then I had to boot the pi and unplug/plug the drive and it would boot.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=294557

Finally, I fixed this by editing the eeprom with the following command…

USB_MSD_PWR_OFF_TIME=0

Now all seems well!

The OS upgrade updated the Pi eeprom

Just a note of thanks to say I completed the process last evening and everything went perfectly. I’m successfully using an SSD on my RPi4 with Home Assistant.

To confirm, it took me about 45 minutes to complete the steps below after reading the original guide by @Jpsy and the other useful posters.

1. Downloaded the latest full snap shot of my 0.118.5 system.
  2. Downloaded the Raspberry Pi Imager.
  3. Wrote the Raspberry Pi 4 EEPROM boot recovery image in Misc utility images to a spare SD card.
  4. Shut down my raspberry pi via Supervisor, System, Shutdown.
  5. Inserted my SD card with the EEPROM boot recovery image on, and powered up the pi.
  6. Waited for the pi’s green LED to flash constantly to know the EEPROM was updated then powered down and removed the SD card.
  7. Wrote the latest hassos_rpi4-64-5.8.img.xz image to my Samsung 840 Evo SSD using the Raspberry Pi Imager and the Eluteng USB to Sata adapter @Jpsy recommends.
  8. Connected the SSD using the Eluteng USB to Sata adapter to my RPi4’s USB3 port.
  9. Powered up the pi and loaded homeassistant.local, waited patiently (hit F5 on the keyboard about every 3 seconds) until I was able to log in.
  10. I created myself as a user and went through the initial setup and didn’t adopt any devices.
  11. Went back into supervisor, uploaded my snapshot using the three dots and restored it.
  12. Waited patiently for the snapshot to restore (by hitting F5 on the keyboard about every 3 seconds)
    Done - everything worked.

Thanks to all of you that offered some suggestions and guides.

2 Likes

Thank you for answer on my question and detailed description of how to cope with the situation.

In my opinion, OS update should not touch the firmware. Especially in silent way it has been done. It’s unacceptable.

If you have followed the development of the HassOS system, you will find that it is already part of the upcoming update in version 5.6.

Tracking development is not obligatory for common users. And never should be.
This information has to be presented in change log and as warning just before update (due to possible consequences). Maybe better: should be an option of choice or a prerequisite.
I’m not even speaking about the fact, that updating FW has more strict requirements related to power interruption.
In other words OS update shouldn’t touch anything but OS.

What will be next: silent firmware updates of home appliances (bulbs, relays, ovens)?

It is a voluntary and leisure project and nothing is mandatory. It is up to each of us what information we want to obtain and how we deal with it.

You are missing the point. I’m pointing to braking basic rules which are valid regardless the project is voluntary or not. Of course devs are free to decide what and how they develop.
But the fact it’s voluntary project doesn’t change my opinion about the fact that updating OS should not silently update the firmware. Dot.
If you have different opinion about that, please give your arguments. But don’t be alibistic just because the software is free. It’s not applicable for this case.

Seems you don’t care about OS update can brick HW or destroy someone’s installation- you are entitled to your opinion. But this attitude doesn’t help improving the project, Actually is useless in this whole discussion: how it helps people who have not working home automation for week? Blame them they haven’t read all commits information on GitHub.

1 Like

Ano, máte pravdu, tato slovní přestřelka je opravdu k ničemu a nikomu nepomůže.
Jak jsem pokračoval, psal jsem o několika příspěvcích výše.
Nevlastním jiný hardware pouze Rpi4 4Gb a Rpi4 8Gb SSD Kingston A400 120Gb. Používám desku X825 Sata. Mou prioritou bylo zavést SSD a sleduji to od začátku vydání HassOS 5.0. Všechno s tímto zařízením fungovalo a dnes HassOS 5.8 a nejnovější HA fungují stabilně. Chtěl bych poradit, ale protože nemají další HW, nemohou to zkusit, a tak radit s jiným HW a omlouvám se.

Maybe the translator is to blame, but I don’t blame anyone and I know it must be annoying. I’d love to advise but I don’t really have any other device to try it out.

1 Like