Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

@Jpsy Thank you and thanks for a great guide!

I did read about the USB cable in another thread. Thanks for the tips to plug in the Conbee II first and restart. I will uninstall the add-on that I included in the snapshot restore.

I’m on 5.3
Is it safe to upgrade to 5.8?

I started in version 5.0 to 5.7. The last time I updated to 5.8, but I always updated all versions using a USB flash. Everything still runs without a problem even today on version 5.8.

ok just updated to 5.8
and its back up again, so i hope it stays that way :slight_smile:

I was previously successfully running HassOs on a RPi4 on a external M.2 SSD following this thread’s instructions; I saw that there were big updates available for both Core and Home Assistant ( I think that’s what they’re called). I tried updating the Core first but when it went through the motions and rebooted, it never turned back on. Appears to have killed the everything. Home Assistant won’t boot up, but on top of that I can’t SSH into the Pi via a command prompt; Furthermore, the RPi is no longer a detected connected device in my router’s settings.

Are there any known issues with the latest Core (or HassOS) updates with external SSD installs? Second, should simply reflashing latest development HassOS version 5.7 on the SSD with BalenaEtcher and reinserting the SSD to RPi4 fix things back up? Or will I first also have to reinstall on a SD card, stick that in the RPi4, and continue on from there and reconfigure everything to make boot-from-SSD work again?

If I recall correctly, the HassOS version that I flashed that had everything working up until yesterday was hassos_rpi4-64-5.5.img.gz. If I’m to follow the instructions just as I did previously, I’m now to try 5.7 as that is the latest developer version, and not the 5.8 stable version. Or is that incorrect?

1 Like

If your Pi was already running from SSD you don’t need the procedure of updating the EEPROM with RPi Imager / RPi OS anymore. You EEPROM is already up to date.
Just etch the stable 5.8 64 onto SSD, boot up and install a snapshot.

Hi Jpsy, thank you for your excellent guide which I followed at the weekend to get my Pi 4 up and running with the Eluteng adapter and a WD Green SSD. All went well until after about 24h I noticed home assistant became sluggish and unresponsive. After a couple of reboots I decided to switch to a usb 2 port for the adapter. Since then the system seems much faster and up to now I have had no further issues. This leads me to believe that the Eluteng adapter I have has some issues. The adapter I have has the blue SATA connector which after some research seems to be an updated version. Check out this post https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=227600

Its reported that the new blue connector version is fine on the Pi4 and was only an issue for the 3, I wonder if you could confirm whether your Eluteng adapter has a blue or black SATA connector?

CURRENT: Wed Oct 28 17:32:40 UTC 2020 (1603906360)
LATEST: Fri Dec 11 11:15:17 UTC 2020 (1607685317)

Just updated bootloader to latest beta version. And boot 5.8 from USB SSD without unplug Zigbee Stick works now! Seems that updating to the latest version is not such a bad idea, even if everything worked before 5.8.

This is my set that works perfectly on the Pi4:
ELUTENG adapter + Crucial BX500
All in nice Home Assistant blue. :wink:

@Jpsy Thank you for confirming, that looks the same as mine. Its really odd as running on usb 2.0 its rock stable and quick.

Is there much benefit to usb 3.0 for ssd on Home Assistant on a Pi? Obviously it should be faster but already noticed a massive increase in speed over sd card install.

In theory we all know that USB 3.0 can be up to 10 times faster than 2.0. But to be honest, during my tests with USB 2 the Pi performed sufficiently well. Boot times were about 30% longer and heavy database access (i.e. history over many days and entities) was also somewhat slower. But all still acceptable and much faster than an SD card or a Pi 3 maxing out its 1 GB of RAM.

My installation has crashed on the preparation screen. I’ve tested it in USB 2.0 and 3.0. Did anyone also have this problem and managed to install?

Do you have a monitor connected to your Pi to see what its up to?

It took quite a long time for my install to complete - so much so that I thought it wasn’t doing anything.

What USB adapter, Pi and Home Assistant version are you trying to set up?

The more I read the problems of users running HA on SSD, the more I am convinced that the problem is largely in the sata to usb adapter.
Maybe I was lucky or maybe the brand that supplies stackable boards for Rpi thought correctly what users want.
I’m just glad that I went this way and from the beginning of version HassOS 5.0 when it was possible to boot SSD until today’s version 5.8 I did not have a single problem. Today I am on a stable system Rpi4 8Gb HA 2020.12.0 HassOS 5.8

@pepe59 which stackable board are you using?

I use this board and really no problem.
Suptronics X825 2.5 "SATA HDD / SSD shield
Kingston SSD 120Gb A400

1 Like

nice thats the combo i ordered a few days ago, so i dont have too worry. Thanks for info

When he arrives, let me know if you’re as happy as I am. :slightly_smiling_face:

ok, but will be in couple of weeks, comes from allie.
Other question, can i take a snapshot from my 32bit hassio( on rpi3) en put it on my new install that will be 64bit on the rpi4?
Or do i have too start from scratch

Install HassOS 5.8 64bit on the SSD and then you can use the last backup of your system which is 32bit.
No problem. Don’t forget to Rpi update the FW to the latest version.
If there are errors in the log, you can delete the db and restart the HA. The database will create a new one, but you will lose historical data.

1 Like