Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

I would support this idea. I guess a request for this “functionality” is required on github or on this forum in the section for new requests ? Which is better ?

FYI. I am running RPi4B with 4GB on SSD since Dec. 4 (Unitek Y-1039B USB-SSD adapter and Samsung SSD 860EVO 500GB) and today made upgrade to 2020.12.1 and then OS to 5.8 from Supervisor UI. Both went fine in few minutes.
Then I rebooted the host (also from Supervisor UI) since my MCP23017 integration did not work (this is known issue and not related to latest upgrades - I have to reboot after each OS upgrade or in other specific cases) and also with no issues system came back in few minutes - this time everything is working fine.

I had done a search already for the utf8mb4 before posting. What I couldn’t find is what it should be for mariadb and the advantages / disadvantages in changing it. In any case, I just tried the utf8 again this morning and it now works again. No errors in the logs on a reboot. I still don’t understand why the db was not restored and why I needed to changed the charset to begin with to get the recorder to load.

For anyone else struggling with the same issue as me.

1 Like

I hadn’t but after your question I bought an adapter to understand better what was happening.

After around 5 days following inumerous tutorials I found the problem and was a very simple thing. I tested around 10 versions of Home Assistant and each version had your error, so I tested other types of installation for example direct on Raspberry OS, Ubuntu Server 18.04, Debian and I had different errors for different trieds.

Yesterday I tried install Ubuntu 20.10 desktop and worked very well, so I installed Hassio using IOTstack and worked like a charm too and at the end of the day I saw why worked. On my begining tests I tried different power supplys some more powerfull than 5V 3a and nothing was changed but yesterday I tried unintentionally with a 5V 3a and after that every test worked :sweat_smile:

I think lacked energy for SSD and Raspberry turned off USB 3.0 causing the errors. I know that was a noob error but I’m noob it’s my first Raspberry.

Just to inform I’m using a very simple and cheap case that I bought on Shopee. In a moment I thought that case was the problem but wasn’t.

Case:

Hello,
I followed the instructions (except that I use a Pi with 2GB and Hassos with 32bit), but when booting with the SSD, I get this bootscreen and then the screen goes black and nothing happens. I can’t see anything wrong with the lines. Do any of you see more or suspect something?

I have the recommended adapter and I have tried different USB ports. No success.

how many times has been already said, that it must be 64bit version of hassos?

2 Likes

I want to order the ELUTENG adapter, but is not available anymore in Amazon.
Found this comment on the UK site:
1.0 out of 5 stars Beware, doesn’t support UASP for Raspberry Pi 4

Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 14 November 2020

As of Nov 2020, be aware if buying to use with an external drive on a Raspberry Pi 4. They seem to have changed the chipset used in this adaptor. It does not support UASP but does work when forcing the older USB driver using storage quirks…however there is a performance drop when doing this. I was only able to get 200Mb/sec reads and 135Mb/sec write out of my SSD (normally about 350M/sec with USAP RW)

This cable does not work at all on my 2018 Mac Mini running Catalina. The drive mounts but the entire OS becomes very unstable shortly after until the cable is unplugged.

SSD support is the most important feature as SD cards do die. Mine after about half year, last backup was 1 month old. I wonder why there is no feature that allows external FTP upload of nightly backups? This is really bad this way, terrible.

Amazon Next Day Delivery: Kingston A400 SSD SA400S37/120G - 2.5" SATA 120GB > 19EUR
Amazon Next Day Delivery: StarTech.com USB3S2SAT3CB - Adapter USB 3.0-2.5" SATA III > 15 EUR

total cost: 34 EUR for SD to SSD migration, works perfectly!!

I use the awesome Nextcloud backup addon for exactly that.
You can choose how often you want to do a backup & it gets uploaded to your nextcloud automatically.

I hope i will never need it, since i also switched to SSD, but better be safe than sorry.

1 Like

awesome, i will use that too. now on SSD probably we dont need it but good to have a recent backup i learned the hard way with SD card :slight_smile:

I use the samba backup addon and back up images to a local smb server

1 Like

The same happened to me after upgrading to Dec11 bootloader. Two things that worked for me:

• Connect SSD to a USB2 Port
    or
  • Downgrade the bootloader to version: Thu 3 Sep 12:11:43 UTC 2020 (1599135103) and use USB3.

Dears,

Really not people have problems when update from rpi4 sd 32 bits to rpi4 ssd 64 bits with zwave standard integración as I mention in post? . Im really desperate with this issue…
Thanks,

Jose

one very important feature in Home Assistant OS Release-5 build 9 (Stable) Disable Raspberry Pi EEPROM upgrade

so the HA OS update will not mess up our EEPROM and the SSD boot.

If needed we can manually do the EEPROM from Raspberry Pi Image.

Thank you very much for this article.

Recommended hardware ( Kingston A400 SSD SA400S37/120G and Startech USB3S2SAT3CB ) works perfectly.

I found the issue, wen you make a snapshot you need to stop the mariadb prior. I made a new snapshot like this and no issues on restore. Maybe you can add a note about this in the directions above?

Thanks for the instructions… Super helpful… I was able to set up my new RPi4 *GB platform with an SSD and then migrate my HA config from the current RPi3B+ I am using to the new platform… Thanks so much!

Having worked in the the memory/storage business in a previous life, I am excited to move to an SSD versus relying on an SD card… SSDs are WAY more reliable…

Thanks for these instructions!
Worked for me with a Samsung EVO 250GB SSD and the Startech USB3S2SAT3CB.