Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

I also noticed the higer load.
I went from a 0.4 5 min load and a steady 39 degrees celcius on SD to a increasingly higher load and higer temperature the longer the system runs.
I just rebooted it after a week and temperature was 45 degrees and load 2.85.
The load is now back to 0.6 and temperature is dropping.

I’m on a Pi4 with 2Gb ram. Core was using 58% ram and now back to 23% ram.
Cpu of core went from 26% to 0.6%.
I looked at the processes with top and ps but they don’t give any clue about whats happening.

PID USER TIME COMMAND
1 root 0:00 s6-svscan -t0 /var/run/s6/services
35 root 0:00 s6-supervise s6-fdholderd
444 root 0:00 s6-supervise ttyd
446 root 0:00 s6-supervise sshd
448 root 1:16 ttyd -p 8099 tmux -u new -A -s homeassistant bash -l
450 root 0:00 sshd: /usr/sbin/sshd -D -e [listener] 0 of 10-100 startups
544 root 0:00 sshd: root@pts/0
546 root 0:00 -bash
563 root 0:00 ps aux

Edit: I just noticed some database errors, I deleted the database and restarted, lets see if that helps…

I’ve noticed a 200mb increase in ram use as well compared to the 32bit version. My load seems to stay around 0.5 and I also notice nothing weird when I look at the running processes although the docker processes when viewed in top are not exactly transparent. But 'll keep an eye on it.

Eric,
Is it fast enough for you?

before installing HA i made some speedtests with raspi OS. between the Sd and SSd i measured a difference of 20x the speed.
HA restarts very fast

Seems HA is becoming bloated each time there’s an update. I’ve used to be able to run HA smoothly on the Rpi3 despite the 1gb ram, now it’s sluggish as hell.

Thanks. Good that it is “very fast” :slight_smile: It would be nice, however to see more precise data if possible. Like how many seconds/minutes from the moment you hit RESTART button until system is back. Or how much time from the moment you connect power…

restart of HA is 1 minute

1 Like

‘Bloated’ or more feature rich and useful? The latter to me. The software is free so a small investment in hardware is trifling.

1 Like

it is a small investement, X862 was 25$, ssd was 28$

i have booted up a brand new pi4 (2 gig) using the downloaded OS at the top of this article and am using mouse/kbd/monitor, but when i try to nano the file it says that rpi-eeprom-update is unwritable.

Did I miss someplace where I should have set some perms or set an admin login?

(I tried to search for this issue but found nothing)

Well, not sure where i fell down here but after a reboot (I set up the pi password and such) I was able to sudo nano…

So, believe I am set now

Since I ignored all the “pick the right USB SATA adapter” advice (but had similar experience getting Pi OS to boot and run off USB SSD per https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=245931), I of course got all kinds of fails and timeouts on boot up, lots of “chkdsk” message.
No network, but eventually got a login prompt locally (root, no password)
From here, I was able to:

# mount -o remount,rw / 
# vi /mnt/boot/cmdline.txt 
and put my "usb-storage.quirks=7825:a2a4:u" at beginning of line.

On reboot, system came up really fast and and I got to setup screen in browser.
So far so good! Thanks for the guide!

Hi all, after migrating to Pi4 + SSD. I managed to restore, everything is back online and working okay. Except for Zigbee devices, sometimes they just die!

My issue is updating, I cannot update to any version, I keep getting the below error. I’ve even tried 0.119.x nothing works. I’ve tried changing DNS, rebooted supervisor and core multiple times. Every time I run the update, it crashes with this error and I have to hard reset the Pi4.

21-01-22 23:05:22 ERROR (SyncWorker_7) [supervisor.docker.interface] Can’t install homeassistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2021.1.4 -> 404 Client Error for http+docker://localhost/v1.40/images/homeassistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2021.1.4/json: Not Found (“no such image: homeassistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2021.1.4: No such image: homeassistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2021.1.4”).
21-01-22 23:05:22 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.homeassistant.core] Updating Home Assistant image failed

I’ve killed, at minimum, three… and while I wouldn’t call Inland (microcenters house brand) high-quality, certainly not a dubious source.

also: did you read the first reply in that raspi.org link? …pretty much debunks the validity of most of the OPs conclusions (ie: SDs do alright in a sprint to copy a single 2GB file, but the performance takes a serious hit on more complex operations (ie: writes of multiple small files).)

It’s ridiculous to even pretend that SD cards are up to the challenge when just using them as a boot drive for a SBC is a compromise far outside their designed for purpose.

After deleting my database my system with SSD is running again with low load and low temperature.
Very happy with the switch!
only thing stil bugging me is the slow reacting of the Tradfri sensors, but will figure that out sooner of later.

Thank you so much for this excellent guide. I’ve got it working within 20 minutes. Forgot to order a USB extension cable so my Conbee II wasn’t working well, but got the cable today and everything runs fine right now.

Real quick and snappy system!

1 Like

Thanks for this guide. I didn’t see my issue mentioned anywhere so I thought I’d comment…

I “etched” hassos_rpi4-64-5.11.img.xz to a clean (de-partitioned) Samsung 840EVO through a StarTech USB adapter. Then I connected the SSD to a RPi 4b (4GB) with the latest EEPROM (and no SD card). I’m using a mHDMI cable and wireless keyboard (with dongle).

It boots as far as the “Welcome to Home Assistant” message, and then I see:

udevd[205]: bind failed: Address in use
udevd[205]: error binding udev control socket

For several minutes, I cannot login to HA as root – I get a “Home Assistant CLI is not running!” message. Also I cannot access HA via its web page. The solution is to wait a few minutes.

I’m not sure if this is normal…?

I’ve also been utterly unable to restore a fresh snapshot. Every time, after reboot, the web UI fails to come up. The console shows no error messages, but top shows that all 4 CPUs are busy doing “something” (and my Pi Case is pretty warm). I waited 30 minutes but was still unable to access the web UI.

Is this a known issue? (I haven’t found any useful threads on this.) Should I wait a month for a few updates and try again?

1 Like

5.11 is still steaming hot (haven’t updated myself) and it contains changes to udev which could be the reason for your problems (see https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/pull/1186). Maybe you wanna try again with 5.10.
About your reboot problem: Does this happen on cold boot too?

YEAH! I just reinstalled 5.10 on the SSD and I was able to login to the console almost right away (though she is busy for the first couple of minutes). Also the web UI became available right away (though it’s “preparing”).

Thanks so much for the idea. That PR didn’t seem like a bit change but obviously it had a serious impact for me.

I own you one :slight_smile:

1 Like