Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

Most likely your USB3 adapter is causing the issue. There are working adapters mentioned in this thread.

I purchased the ā€œStarTech 2.5ā€³ SATA to USB 3.0 Adapterā€ as it was specifically called out within OPā€™s post as working - unless Iā€™ve missed something?

Is there a SW update of this adapter? My Sabrent enclosure needed to be updated to work correctly. Also are you using the 64bit version of HAOS?

Have you tried an earlier version? I cannot get HAOS 6.x to work with my Pi3 but it works fine with my Pi4 using the same enclosure. 5.2 works on the Pi3 but updating kills it.

Use the 64 bit version as recommended in the guide: haos_rpi4-64-6.2.img.xz

Ah! I was assuming that was a only due to your 8gb device. Thank you.

Iā€™ve followed this guide and all seems to be working fine.
For anyone thatā€™s wondering

My sata caddy is a ORICO 2189C3
Seems to use a VL817 SATA chipset

As long as you use a USB-3 A to C cable (not all are) it does USB Attached SCSI Protocol but I cannot confirm TRIM is working.

Is there a console command I can run from the latest Home Assistant OS that would verify the TRIM status? Thanks

2 Likes

Hi

Iā€™ve switched since a few weeks from SD to SSD.
Startech USB3.1 cable and a Kingston KC600 SSD SKC600/512GB SSD

All went well, but at random moments (maybe once a week), it looks like Supervisor just dies and I get a configuration.yaml missing

Impossible to do soft restart so have to unplug power en plug it back in.
Anyone an idea what I can check to solve this issue?

Thank you very much! This tutorial helped me to boot from SSD!

1 Like

Great. Super
Perfect manual
Everything worked as described
Now working HA on USB 3.0 SSD

1 Like

Worked perfect for me with one caveat:

SSD - Samsung 960 EVO NVME
Enclosure - SSK Aluminum M.2 NVME SSD Enclosure Adapter on USB 3.0
Pi 4B 8 GB
Zwave - Z-Wave.Me stick with USB extender on USB 2.0

I did have to upgrade the firmware for the SSK enclosure using MyDigitalSSD M2X NVMe M.2 Adapter Firmware Update 0209 before the Pi would read it from USB 3.0.

CPU temps run abound 160 F without fan. With fan around 115 F.

Thanks for this great manual

Hi There,

Can i use the 32 bit Version of Hass.os with a ssd too?

I have a Raspberry 4 1 gb, installed Hass.os on my ssd as shown her in this thread and had still problems with a slow system. After changing my swap size to 2gb this is much better.

Perhaps my problem is the 64bit version of Hass.os combined with the smallest ram possible (1gb)?

Greetings
Cubertt

Yes you can.

1 Like

With 1Gb of RAM you will definitely not get a fluent system. HA with some add-ons and a bunch of entities will soon start to lag and stall. The containerization together with the growing database size will result in more and more SSD reads because the system cannot allocate enough RAM buffer to cache a sufficient part of the DB content.

1 Like

Great post! Saved me a lot of time. Thank you very much.
BTW when i restored my HA i lost all history. Is this normal? DB isnā€™t backud up in snapshots?

Pedro.

1 Like

Nope, not normal. If you do a full backup using the default DB in the default path then you should not lose your history. But in the past HA had in fact some db issues when reading 32 bit backups on 64 bit systems. Not sure these are all solved.

Go look through the logfile, theyā€™ll likely be an entry saying saying the database was corrupt (search for malformedā€™ and renamed to something else for a recovery attempt.

For some reason, snapshots sometimes produce corrupt databases. Unsure why. Iā€™ve not been able to recover these DBā€™s, Iā€™ve had to roll back to earlier snapshots. In my experience the automated snaps taken early morning are fine, manually created ones often fail.

Ok, trying to take the desperate leap of upgrading my HA OS 5.3 to HA OS 6.5.
The system was whining about new dependecies that the 5.3 was missing.

Until now the update has ALWAYS caused that stupid bug where the whole system hangs/freezes every 8-24 hours and only hard reboot will bring system back up.

Wish me luckā€¦

OK, first post since I posted in june 27th;
Left summer house beginning august, few days later I could no longer access HA.
(I had then replaced the power supply to an original Pi as recommended)
Went there last week, restarted HA and it worked fine during my 4 day stay.
Left yesterday, 24 hours later I can no longer access HA remotely.

All my observations still point to that thereā€™s something happening when thereā€™s no activity on the HA.
I agree, of course thereā€™s activity going on in HA even if Iā€™m not turning on lights, door sensors registering open/close and so on but still, Iā€™m convinced thereā€™s something happening when thereā€™s no ā€œexternalā€ activity.

What are we talking about here? Youā€™re running an ssd off the original pi power supply, itā€™s too small. The recommended ps is at least 3.5 amps.

ā€¦and HA hanged as expected. Back to the version 5.3.