Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

Because developers don’t know will to ensure proper database copy from running system. They copy files while HA is operational and database may perform write operations, thus makes data inconsistent.
Most databases provide tools for consistent backup during runtime.

This issue is known for long time already. Obviously nobody cares about it.
the only way to ensure consistency is to stop homeassistant prior to creating backup

I always stop the db prior to backup. Sometimes the restore works, but most of the time it doesn’t. Not sure why, but it has been broken for several years that I know of.

OK, sure, I will try a 3.5 amp supply.
But if it is the power supply that is the culprit, how come this never happens when I’m actively using the HA?
Only happens at the least busy times (me not being there).

Under powered leads to all types of write and execute errors, the system can only handle so many before it shuts down, in other words it’s cumulative.

I suspect you had removed this database letting HA to create new one, hadn’t you?
Or you still use the broken in the very past?

Might be so but I doubt it.
If that was the case it would very likely happen when I’m there as well.
Didn’t happen one single time while I was there, and I spent 8 weeks there this summer (well happened once actually, when I was away for 2 days…)
You have to agree, the stats doesn’t point that way, they point to something else.
Would be interesting to discuss other possible explanations.

Then stay with the original and disregard the recommendations of the guide.

Most of the time, I can start it (using MariaDB) and then restart HA. Seems to work after with no errors in the logs.

The guide actually says: “At least use the original Pi 4 power plug with 3 Ampere. If you can get a good quality supply with 3.5 Amps or more: Use it!”
So I’m not above spec but not below it either.

If you’re not interested in discussing what the data points to, say so.
Hammering the 3.5 Amp mantra doesn’t encourage productive discussions.

I apologize as you are correct, my case has a fan and 3.5 is required for it. Back to the matter at hand the crashing for no apparent reason in HA is usually power related, if not the sd but that is obviously not the problem. The ssd adapter I assume is one of the known working adapters?

No problem.
Yes, using the StarTech 3.1 and a Conbee II stick (on a 1 m extension cable, away from the RPi)
Nothing else connected to the USB ports.

IDK I’m still going with the power supply. It’s “at least” for just an ssd, you’re also powering a dongle. Is there anyway you can leave it unplugged or run it through a powered usb hub.

So guys, I’m still on 5.13 with a SSD and the recommended USB to SATA adapter.
Should I try the update to 6.5 or not?

I have taken all OS updates without any problems.

1 Like

I have my Pi 4 running since the first beta of Home Assistant Operating System 5.x from a SSD. I updated to every Home Assistant Operating System/Core/Supervisor version and didn‘t had any problem, it is simply running.

Ok so I just took the leap of faith and everything theems to be working great… Thank you!

1 Like

I am using raspberry pI 4 with Home assistant on a 32GB sd as an experiment since may 2021, now that card is almost full. I want to move over to SSD based setup.
Which is the cheapest and reliable SSD to use in that case?
which power supply I should buy? any mobile usb C adapter with a rated output of 5V 3.5A will work? or should I buy the official raspberry pi adapter (which is not easily available)

I’m using an argon one case and kingston ssd with a cana kit 3.5A. The argon 3.5a is suitable as well, was out of stock when I ordered .

i have both, the official raspberry pi adapter and an 5 USB port device with enough power, and both are working without problems (raspi4, 1gb).
SSD is not important, the adapter (usb -SATA) is. See first post.

I am pretty sure though that the 1GB will give you problems when your HA setup starts to grow. Had this on RPi3. System starts to slow down, especially when showing multiple history graphs on the same Lovelace page. The complex container structure of HA together with db caching of many entities seems to be quite memory hungry.

1 Like