Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

You’re using a usb-a 3.0 patch cable?

Basically a USB-C - USB 2 cable that I use for data transfer from my phone, etc. Guessing by your question that could be the problem? If so, I have Sandisk SSD (wish SUB cable) USB cable at the office, so that might work?

Found the same cable at home, unfortunately it doesn’t work. It’s a USB cable for a sandisk SSD drive.

Any thoughts?

I have an argon the c didn’t work and usb a - a 2.0 didn’t work. It’s been over a year since I set mine up. There is an argon tread specifically for the SSD have you looked through that one, might be better to post to that as well.

1 Like

Thanks, that thread might help actually! Will try tonight!
Also just realised, the little A-A connector that comes with the case might actually fit into my mac adapter… Will update how it went.

Hello everyone,

It’s 2022 now. I wonder if you still need to do the step to install the Rasp OS and update the EEPROM. Or does installing the latest version of HA on the SSD will allow boot from USB straight away on rpi4 8GB?

This step can also be done with the Raspberry Pi Imager. There is a USB boot Image selectable. You simply have to insert the written SD card, wait until the green LED is flashing or a green screen is shown on HDMI and the shut the Pi off. Ready!
But newer Pi 4 should have the correct firmware.

I have it on my list for months now to ask Stefan @agners about this and to update the guide accordingly. From what I read I am quite sure that HA OS now contains the latest Pi 4 firmware and loads it itself. So the whole RPi OS step would be superfluous.

As soon as I get this information I will update the guide.

After 2 months I getthis error

This is meaning the ssd is broken or I’m wrong?

The only time I have seen this is not having a boot device connected (either SD or SSD).

Was this on a restart or it crashed with this message. You may try removing power from the pi and hub (if you use one) and then try restarting again. This error is not reading the boot information.

If you have a current backup, the fastest way back is reformat the SSD, install HA and then install the backup. Should be done in around 20 minutes.

In the night the system crashed 2 times then i pluged the monitor on and saw this messange.

I’m don’t sure if the problem was the ssd. After a clean installation on a new ssd all work like a charm.

I’m using the Argon M.2 case too. What I did is to install the M.2 SSD into the case, then use a USB 3.0 cable and connect directly from the Argon case to the my PC USB 3 port. The Balena/RPi Imager is able to see the drive. Don’t use USB2.0 cable, the PC can’t see it.

Hi, I just want to share my recent problem with the SSD so that anyone who bumped into the same issue might have idea what to check first!

My HAOS started having problem in reading the configuration file yesterday. And I can’t restart it as it keeps saying the configuration file is missing. I have been running SSD with RPi4 for a year and it is working at the while and survived multiple power dropout.

Then, I pulled the plug to do a hard reboot and ends up it can’t boot up anymore with the following errors.

At first I was thinking the HAOS was corrupted. I tried to reflash and but still, the HAOS doesn’t boot up with the same errors. So I tried to change the power supply and voila, it started to boot and took another 30 mins for the restore.

I were using the Argon official power supply and it is just like one year old before it’s started failing. I now switched to the official RPI power supply and so far it is running fine.

I should have try to swap the power supply at first before going to reflash the whole thing. :roll_eyes:

So anyone who might have the similar problem, just swap your power supply first and see it helps. I never thought the Argon power supply is dead in just one year!

1 Like

Thanks, Jörg, just followed your guide to install my SSD again from scratch.

Till HA OS V7.6 I had no troubles with the SSD but I cannot get it to work with V8.0/8.2/8.4
I’ve just updated the EEPROM firmware, without any change.

Since HA is running without any errors on a SD card with HA 8.4, I assume that it has something to do with hardware incompatibility on OS > 7.6?!

My setup:

• RPI 4 (4GB)
  • Yehua M.2 NVME SSD USB 3.1 Gen 2 - NVME PCI-e m-Key Solid State Drive
  • WD Blue SN550 NVMe SSD, Gen3 x4 PCIe, M.2 2280, 3D NAND

In the meantime I will run HA on a SD-card, but I will probably have to try the StarTech 2.5″ SATA to USB 3.1 Adapter that you suggested and with another SSD.

Hi Roland,

what exactly happens when you try to update your SSD to 8.x? I have my own system running on 8.4 without any problems. You may want to look into the issue tracker. There are some issue reports relating to 8.x and to updating from 7.x.

Hi there.

Anyone know any recommended M.2 USB adapter available in the Netherlands?

SD-card was showing signs of dying so moved back to SSD, hopefully the rpi4 EEPROM shitstorm is actually fixed now simply by installing the newest version of HAOS. Before the system would hang/freeze completely after updating the HAOS.
IIRC HA devs and rpi devs released the EEPROM fix few weeks after I moved back to using SD-cards.

Hi All,

I bought an off the shelf SSH with usb-c connection and used usb-c to regular usb-cable to connect it to the Pi4. No luck on booting form the SSH.

I’ve been troubleshooting and found that it is possible to boot Pi OS via the SSH. But when I try it with HAos, it will not work. Green light turns on, light on SSH turns on, both go out, that’s the end.

Anybody have an idea?

Thanks!

The issue is generally with the enclosure and not the SSD. If this thread there is a list of enclosures that are known to work and some that do not.

I use a Sabrent enclosure that I needed to flash in Windows first before it would work properly.

Also note that if you have UAS enabled via the enclosure then you may find that it does not run as fast as expected. Using quirks to enable usb storage mode is then the way to go. See here as well as search the forum on how to enable it.

This adaptor works: