Installing Home Assistant on VMWare Player / Workstation 16 (or 17)

Thanks for the suggestion, but I gave up and have installed x86 method on a laptop so finally up and running

I have same problem with the first page showing the logo just times out and tries to retry every 60 seconds. Did you ever find the fix for this problem?
Thanks.

Same problem here, I checked only one Network adapter and Network manager problem seems gone, but Kernet Time Sync still fails.
Also IPv4 addresses for enp2s1 is empty. And I can not access HAOS by any address (localhost, laptop IP)
OS version: 8.2

Fixed:
After checking up only one Network Adapter I should remove old HAOS-0.vmdk and replace it with fresh downloaded vmdk.
But still have a problem with Kernel Sync Time. It slows booting for 1.5 mins.

Network adapter bridged with your the interface connected to the internet ?

You can also specify which network card to use(in case you have multiple) in the virtual network configurator:
Unfortunately, this option is only available in the VMWare16 workstation, not in the Player

I can’t check now, but I’m pretty sure there is a way to select one or more cards in Player.

@djbrooks022 Thanks very much.
Nice one! Clear and easy guide.

It even worked on my ancient i7.
I ignored the warning at VM install

I had a VMX-Unrestricted-Guest warning similar to below on VM start

This host does not support
virtualizing real mode. The Intel
"VMX Unrestricted Guest" feature is
necessery to run this virtual machine
on an Intel Processor.

fixed with addition to VM workstation config.ini

go to this path :

C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Workstation

and so change this file : config.ini
set this parameter on file config.ini

authd.client.port = "902"
authd.proxy.nfc = "vmware-hostd:ha-nfc"
installerDefaults.autoSoftwareUpdateEnabled = "no"
installerDefaults.autoSoftwareUpdateEnabled.epoch = "25844"
installerDefaults.componentDownloadEnabled = "yes"
installerDefaults.dataCollectionEnabled = "no"
installerDefaults.dataCollectionEnabled.epoch = "25844"

monitor.allowLegacyCPU = "true"    <---- this needs to be added

I had to sort the bridge adapter bit also… I only have my NIC card ticked in configure option
Capture

one buggy bit was typing on the account creation page. I could only type a letter at a time and box would lose focus, until I mouse clicked on it again, Reloading the page fixed that.

Worked with an Addon using bluetooth too!

Quick question. I am using your method of bringing up HA under VMWare Player automatically by the Windows Task Scheduler. Whether or not I specify “nogui”, there is no GUI and the VM comes up automatically in the background. Where can I find the log that is normally seen in the black screen of the VMWare Player as HA is coming up? I’ve had some issues during HA startup and would like to see the log. However, now that it’s coming up in the background, I don’t see anything.

Thanks, David

oh nice… had the exact same problem, no network available because of that. will have 2nd attempt to get it runnng now (didnt bother enough to go googling as i run production on virtual box)

I’m running VMware Workstation Player 17, and I don’t have that Advanced option available to me. I couldn’t get Workstation Player to boot properly until this post listed adding the entry in the config file. I even tried downloading a trial version of Pro, but I couldn’t get the Zooz Stick to connect. When I saw this I gave Player another try. It’s been stable all evening. I guess I’ll find out in the morning if the improvement will last.

Hi David, when you start the VMWare Player through task scheduler, the only way you will see it running later on, is to select the option " Run only when user ist logged in".

Which kind of defeats the purpose I guess, because you would want the machine to start automatically in the background after a power loss / power restore without any manual actions required - In which case you must select “Run whether user is logged in or not”

Unfortunately with that option ticked, you will never get a gui, even if you log in afterwards.

FYI - This guide works perfectly with Windows 11 and VMWARE Player 17.

1 Like

Just edit your vmx file manually, and add:

firmware = "efi"

Thanks! This helped me too! Maybe this would be handy to add in the instructions. Looked for over 30 minutes :stuck_out_tongue:

In Virtualbox I detected my bluetooth device in the devices tab. Can’t seem to find my bluetooth device here unfortunately.

Excellent documentation. Thank you!

1 Like

Thanks for the guide, now my installation is working.
However the last 2 links are dead, only white blank pages are opening , the ones with vm running in the background /auto restart.

Run VMWare Workstation in the background / Auto launch VMWare VM after reboot 527

Do you guys know of another sourse tutorial to make it autorestart?

Are you using the free Player or Workstation (Pro)?

I tried both of them .

If you are using Workstation Pro, the easiest way is to use the Inbuilt auto-start system.

The other way is to use cli… Something like
(Stop Command as an example)
"C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Player\vmrun.exe" -T player stop H:\VMware\HomeAssistant\HomeAssistant.vmx soft

See more here

Another way, which IMO offers a lot more control and other options.

which only works on w10 and vmware workstation >17