Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

Use the latest available. As noted in the post directly above, the guide will be updated shortly.

1 Like

I am looking at running another instance for testing purpose. If I run the script will it automatically increment the VM ID or will it create another one with VM ID 100.

Yes it will

:+1: Thanks for confirming.

1 Like

Thanks. A perfectly straightforward guide, no hidden snafu’s. Nicely done!

1 Like

Have anyone used this guide and succesfully gettting the Conbee II to work?
I am really struggeling, could it be that proxmox 7 have an issue?

The conbee show up in homeassistant but can’t find anything no matter what?

I assume you’ve passed the device though to the VM correctly?

Correct. Can see there at other post in the community, but none of them have any answers and solutions.
As of the picture below the Conbee looks like it is connected correct.

Have tried using Deconz integration, ZHA and Zigbee-2-mqtt

@MartHan

I have ConbeeII working with Deconz without any issues using Proxmox 7.

How have you configured ConbeeII in Proxmox - have you passed through the device or the USB port?

I have passed through the device:
Proxmox_conbeeII

1 Like

I wouldn’t select β€œUse USB3” because it’s a known issue that causes interference with the network

1 Like

Good pick up.

I think I this is a hangover from when I first moved from a Pi3b+ to a x86 box, and selected this as the ConbeeII is connected to a USB3 port and I wasn’t sure what setting I needed.

Interestingly, I am not sure if this has caused me any issues - ConbeeII on a 3m extension lead out of a Optiplex 9020m.

Just deselected it and restarted the VM - will be interesting to see if I see any changes in behaviour.

1 Like

When you say configured, what does you exactly mean?
Isn’t all you need to do is to add the USB port, like you did i your picture?
Or is there more to it? :slight_smile:

But, as per the picture and my prior message, I am pointing out that I haven’t added the USB Port - I am passing through the Conbee II Device - not the USB port.

I was asking, as you were stating you could not get yours to work and this may have been a difference in our set-ups that may help you.

1 Like

Could you send a screenshot of your hardware setup.
And what hardware are you running?

@MartHan

Not sure hwat you are after, as my last 2 posts basically tell you what my set-up is:

• Optiplex 9020m
  • Proxmox 7.0-11
  • HA (Supervised)
  • HA in a VM - number 222
  • Conbee II - passed through as a device in the Proxmox VM rather than passing through the USB port
  • Conbee II - on a 3m extension lead into a USB port on the 9020m

Not sure what else there is to say about my set-up that helps with you being able to see zigbee devices?

I’m a fairly seasoned Linux user, but I’m just getting started with Proxmox and HA. Your helper scripts look REALLY REALLY NICE! The back and forth in here on whether HA should be run in a LXC container has been interesting. I’m looking forward to trying it out.

How does your script differ from Whiskerz007’s script? Perhaps just that his is not being maintained any longer?

Also, I saw you mention earlier in this thread that you were having problems with Proxmox 7 and would stick to 6 until it matured further. I see that you have a script for running HA on Proxmox 7. Have the issues settled out or would you still recommend Proxmox 6? Thanks!

First, let me take this time to thank wiskerz007 for his hard work, without it none of my scripts would be possible.

In early 2019 wiskerz007 made his script available. At that time there was not a HAOS KVM .qcow2 file so, a HAOS VMware .vmdk file needed to be downloaded and converted via his script to a .qcow2 for Proxmox to use. Once the VM was successfully created, other setup was required (cpu/mem/storage).

In early 2020 the HA dev team made a KVM .qcow2 file available for download. They also change file compression from GZIP to LZMA, wiskerz007 corrected his script for LZMA but never changed it to download the .qcow2 and kept converting the .vmdk file.

In mid 2020 the HA dev team changed the compression of the .vmdk file to ZIP, which broke wiskerz007’s script, and remains broken. (fixes are available)

I modified the script to download the new KVM .qcow2 file (still using LZMA compression), no conversion is necessary, also made provisions for other compression formats (just in case).
Added NFS storage type for installations.
Set default cpu, memory, and storage to HA recommended settings. No other setup is required, just start the VM.

Proxmox 7 is the way to go now. I have no issues

4 Likes

HAOS should always be run in a VM
HA Core and HA Container can be run in a LXC

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies! Very good. It’s going to be a few days before I can tinker around with PM, but I look forward to trying out your scripts on a PM7 install.

Hey, I’ve been running hassos on proxmox on an old laptop for a while without any issues, however just recently it randomly shuts down. Any ideas?