Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

Line 249 wget -q --show-progress $URL
Do you have wget installed? (apt-get install -y wget)
Came pre-installed on previous PVE versions.

edit: added a check for wget to the script.

1 Like

Had no internet connexion on the server.

I added google’s dns and solved it.

But using the post install script made my web interface not available anymore

Post Install script has nothing to do with the web ui. Make sure you’re using https://

Yes I’m using https

Fresh install
Going on the web ui > working
SSH through the ui and launching the post install script. It reboot and then can’t access anymore to the web ui

Hey!

My VM (installed as described in the 1st post, with q35, restored my backup from RPi3 without issue, latest Proxmox, latest HA) keeps crashing after 1-2 days usage.

All I can see in the console is this

HW is Intel NUC11ATKPE single 256 SSD 8G RAM. HA uses 2 cores of the N6005, and 4G RAM, system is not running any other VMs.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Basically the same as the N5105
https://cpu-benchmark.org/compare/intel-celeron-n5105/intel-pentium-silver-n6005/

There’s known issues with those processors and Proxmox
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/proxmox-vms-crashing-freezing-on-intel-n5105-cpu.113177/

Sometimes, a kernel change fixes the issue.

1 Like

Always keep proxmox up to date with

pveudpate

pveugrade

update

pveupdate
pveupgrade
1 Like

I wanted to try 5.19 and then noticed they also have 6.1 available.
I was wondering if you could adapt the β€œProxmox Edge Kernel Tool” to allow to choose between 5.18, 5.19 and 6.1?

When I run the script it only talks about 5.18 currently:

** 1) Install Proxmox Edge Kernel & Reboot
** 2) Switch to Proxmox VE 7 5.15.83-1-pve Kernel & Reboot
** 3) Switch to Proxmox Edge 5.18.19-edge Kernel & Reboot
** 4) Unpin Current Kernel
** 5) Remove Proxmox Edge Kernel & Reboot

Please choose an option from the menu and enter or x to exit.

In any case thanks for your scripts, saves a bunch of time !

1 Like

That (6.1) isn’t an edge kernel. The latest edge kernel package is 6.0

You can use the proxmox-boot-tool to add/remove, pin/unpin, list kernels (and more, it’s what I use in the script)
just run proxmox-boot-tool in the Proxmox Shell to see all of the commands.

1 Like

If you would like to change edge kernel packages, I first remove the package that I’m using before apt installing another.

You are correct and I totally overlooked the difference between the edge and opt-in kernel. In my mind I was expecting something called β€œedge” to be newer then something called β€œopt-in” :man_facepalming:

Maybe an idea to extend your script to support both the Edge and Opt-in kernels?
I have the impression most people who stumble on this are just trying newer kernels because they have some issue and your scripts allow to easily try a different version… I don’t really β€œcare” what kernel I land as long as it offers a stable result. I was perfectly happy with 5.18 until I had problems with the latest 5.18. I rather try a newer branch than forever pin a specific version though.

Hello ,

I have readed through this thread and did not find the answer.

I am migrating HA from Proxmox Debian VM + HA supervised to a VM HA OS install . as per section 3 of this guide

Actually β€œpreparing home assistant” has been completed on the web UI and then I will be ready to restore the backup of the supervised VM install to the new HAOS VM.

Will it worked ?

Thank you

Hello guys!

After I discovered the option to migrate my HA from RPI to VM via Proxmox I was very happy impatient to do it. So, I bought a recommended mini PC (Dell Optiplex 3050 -i7-6700T with 8GB RAM & 256 GB SSD) and I’m looking now to improve this hardware configuration in order to virtualise the following apps/services:

• HomeAssistant
  • openVPN
  • Plex
  • PFSense
  • Torrent server

The backup disk for photos, videos, downloaded files, etc will be either SSD connected via usb or a NAS Synology.

For the RAM memory I think it is simple. I can buy, 16GB or 32GB. My concern is related to the SSD and M.2, memories. My questions are:

1. It is recommended to use the m.2 for root drive (-local(pve)) and the 2.5” drive for local-lvl (images, containers, VMs) or it is enough to use only one disk?
  2. Considering the huge number of writes on SSD/M.2 disks because of virtualisation or the use of ZFS file system, it is important to consider the TBW (Terabytes Written) parameter or it is not applied for a simple homeLab configuration like it was described above? Do you recommend to buy a SH enterprise SSD instead of a new consumer SSD?

Please share with me your experience/knowledge…
Thank you !

My setup is a laptop i5-8350U, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM and a 512GB USB NVME (formatted FAT32) for backups. I also prefer using EXT4 file system.

Hello,
I started today with my Proxmox installation on my Server.
As HAOS does not support Raid-1, I decided to go for Proxmox and so I installed it with Raid-1 with ZFS.
Was this a clever idea? Or do you recommend other Filesystems?
I have 2 SSDs.

Looking for a recommendation here… Currently running HA Supervised from a Proxmox VM running Debian11. I have spun up another VM using the latest HA OS version installed with the script here. All good to this point.

I always change my VM’s to run with static IP’s. Currently the HA Supervised in Debian is 10.1.xx.15. The new install uses a a non-static IP. In this case 10.1.xx.224. I would like the new HA OS to use the 10.1.xx.15. (Old VM will be turned off and deleted.)
My question is: What is the correct order to changing the assigned IP to static? Stop the old VM and change HA OS to the 10.1.xx.15, then load backup? Or load backup first, then change IP after all is running?
TIA,
Cheers!

Shutdown both VM’s, then copy the MAC address from your HA Supervised VM to your HAOS VM.
Start the HAOS VM, it will be using 10.1.xx.15.