Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

You are a legend sir… I spent far too much time trying to get this stuff manually working before finding this which worked 100% first time.

1 Like

Thank you very much for taking time to write this guide. I am planning on moving my HA to a proxmox server using an intel nuc7i3 with a 16ram and nvme of 1 TB. ( I am thinking of adding 2 vms such as Unifi and Pihole as well). My question is that I have different vlans on my network and I would like to know if it is possible to change the ip address of HA vm to a static one (like the one I am currently using which is tied to the mac of nuc ethernet card)? Thank you in advance!

When creating the VM, use Advanced settings and input your current MAC address. IP will stay the same.

A walk through using Advanced settings

Screenshot 2022-11-15 8.16.13 AM
Screenshot 2022-11-15 8.16.29 AM
Screenshot 2022-11-15 8.16.46 AM
Screenshot 2022-11-15 8.16.56 AM
Screenshot 2022-11-24 7.11.32 PM
Screenshot 2022-11-15 8.17.06 AM
Screenshot 2022-11-15 8.17.12 AM
Screenshot 2022-11-15 8.17.21 AM
Screenshot 2022-11-15 8.17.32 AM
Screenshot 2022-11-15 8.17.38 AM
Screenshot 2022-11-15 8.17.45 AM
Screenshot 2022-11-15 8.17.54 AM
Screenshot 2022-11-15 8.18.03 AM

6 Likes

@tteck .Thank you very much for this. I really appreciate it and it will make it much easier to set up.

1 Like

just tried to reinstall HA as been having issues lately and wanted to start again anyway.

attempted to setup HA VM with Proxmox 7.2-4 with script:
bash -c β€œ$(wget -qLO - https://github.com/tteck/Proxmox/raw/main/vm/haos-vm-v4.sh)”

however get the below errors in the Proxmox Shell:

Malformed entry 1 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/influxdb.list (Component)
The list of sources could not be read.
unable to initialize AptPkg::Cache
:warning: This version of Proxmox Virtual Environment is not supported
Requires PVE Version: 7.XX
Exiting…

have used this guide in the past and has worked well, just unsure of the issues now

thanks for your help in advance

Sounds like you have attempted to install InfluxDB on Proxmox directly. IMHO, Installing anything on Proxmox directly is bad practice. Removing influxdb.list should get you by this error.

This is the result of failing the PVE 7 check:

if [ `pveversion | grep "pve-manager/7" | wc -l` -ne 1 ]; then
        echo "⚠ This version of Proxmox Virtual Environment is not supported"
        echo "Requires PVE Version: 7.XX"
        echo "Exiting..."
        sleep 3
        exit
fi

What does running pveversion in the Proxmox Shell show?
The current PVE version is 7.2-14

1 Like

resolved by removing influxdb.list, managed to install new ha as a vm :slight_smile:

I’m struggling with setting up a pair of Coral TPUs, with HA and Frigate, and need PCI-e passthrough to make it work. To do that, I need to use a machine type of q35 instead of i440fx. I’m using a VM which was built using the script this thread is all about. I’ve attempted to just change the machine type of my existing VM, but it doesn’t work and I get a β€œGuest has not initialized the display (yet)” error on the console. I haven’t been able to figure out how, but I’m looking for a solution that gives me a q35 so I can try out the TPUs.

Edit: I’ve just tried this walkthrough with a few modifications (to align better with my previous instance) and create one based on q35 that’s otherwise identical. After that I was able to export a full backup from my old i440fx instance and re-import it into the new q35 instance and seem to be back up and running without any issues. Tomorrow I’ll try again to get the Coral TPUs working.

Create a q35 Home Assistant OS VM, use β€œAdvanced” and select NO to β€œStart VM when completed?”
click️ on the newly created VM, then the Hardware tab. Remove the EFI Disk and the Unused Disk 0
click️ Machine then Edit and change it to q35.
click️ Add, then add a new EFI Disk, set storage location and unckeck Pre-Enroll keys.
Start VM

2022-11-24

Changed

• Home Assistant OS VM
    • Add option to set machine type during VM creation (Advanced)

Just a clarification. I am currently running HA with a static ip assigned from my router. I would like to know if Proxmox server and Home assistant can have the same ip since they are operating at different ports? Thank you.

No, they can’t share the same IP

1 Like

Thank you @tteck. I will need to update my router dhcp server so it will assign proxmox different ip address. Thank you again for your time and your work.

Heads up:
After upgrading to: Proxmox 7.3-3 + Kernel 5.18.19-edge
While already on: HAOS 9.4 + HA 2022.11.4

Home Assistant silently died within 1 hour (no reboot)

Will try to go back to 5.18.16-edge in Proxmox :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m running HA OS on Proxmox for almost a year now and I’m very happy with it.
One question: restarting HA seems to take longer than it used to before. Can I see / follow the log while restarting HA somewhere?

Click on the Console tab

@tteck So I installed the Home assistant VM using proxmox script. How do I access the server via ssh? When I go to the console for the VM it is showing β€˜ha’.

I cannot get my Google coral usb accelerator to show up under the usb devices.

Any ideas?

Via one of the SSH addons

Screenshot 2022-12-07 10.11.47 PM

Plug it in a USB port and reboot, should show up (I don’t use Frigate)

@tteck . Thank you. I used this guide and install HA in Proxmox. It is assigned an ip from different vlan just like you pointed it to me. It is working perfect. I have a couple of questions and would be thankful if you can assist me,
1- I would like to save a copy of the HA vm so I can create the same vm in case of a failure… What would you recommend?
2- I think I ran the Post Install script that get rid of the subscription nag. However, it is still get it when I log in. Can I reapply it again without affecting the HA vm?

1. Proxmox has a backup feature, use it.
  2. Yes