Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

Thank you Capnkirk…I was able to add my Aeotek z-wave card. I’ve completed the install…,.BUT…the z-wave card is not responding. The integration starts OK, the switches are shown on the overview…but they don’t work. I stopped the network and found this in the log:

2021-01-26 13:29:50.131 Info, mgr,     Driver for controller /dev/serial/by-id/usb-0658_0200-if00 removed
2021-01-26 13:29:51.133 Error, mgr,     Manager::GetDriver failed - Home ID 0xedda610f is unknown
2021-01-26 13:29:51.133 Warning, Exception: Manager.cpp:373 - 100 - Invalid HomeId passed to GetDriver
2021-01-26 13:29:51.133 Info, mgr,     GetSendQueueCount() failed - _homeId -304455409 not found

It appears that home assistant or the z-wave integration isn’t loading the driver for the card correctly. The card is shown correctly in the USB parameter of proxmox.

Is there something I’ve missed in the installation? Surely there are others that have this z-wave card working under proxmox running on a NUC.

UPDATE: This morning, I moved the z stick from a USB 3 port to a USB 2 port…and it worked! I know that the pre 2020 Aeotek z stick had a design problem working with the Raspberry Pi 4 which required a USB 2 hub to fix. When I moved to the NUC, I forgot this (assumed it was unique to the RPI 4)…and I just plugged the stick into a USB 3 port. Obviously, the “design error” in the Aeotek stick also applies to a NUC (or similar).

I’m struggling to figure out how to update my installation. I am able to login and use Home Assistant just fine but when I use the console in Proxmox for the VM and use the login command, pip3 is not found (/bin/ash: pip3: not found). How am I supposed to login to the VM and update it?

Sorry if this was already answered; reading through 300 messages at midnight is an imperfect process!

You update HA from within HA, you don’t have to do anything with the HA VM from Proxmox. Also, pip3 won’t work in HA as it’s a stripped down minimal OS.

1 Like

I was under the impression that the default way to update was via the terminal and pip from the website. But since posting I realized I was on the right version and I don’t currently need to update. Thanks for the response!

…post deleted (never mind :slight_smile: )

Hello, thanks for this amazing tutorial.
I’m trying to install HA, but it is giving error shown in the image below:

The proxmox has been successfully installed following this tutorial, and is properly updated, with no further updates to be made.

I use an intel j4125 mini pc with 8 GB RAM and 120 GB SSD.

Can someone tell me what exactly does the script do? Is a VM created here with home assistant or is something changed in the Proxmox? I just want an installation on a VM in Proxmox with homeassistant.

Did you have a read?

Yes, I read that, but I would like to know whether something is configured in the Proxmox itself? I don’t want to destroy my live system because of something like that.

Did you click the link?

Awesome very helpful thx :slight_smile:

1 Like

This worked great. Not a noobie to virtualization. Had my hypervisor up with 7 different os’s in a flash.

Question. I have a large server with tons of cores and ram, nvme drives.

For HA, i allocated 2 cpu/4gb ram/128gb drive. Should I allocate more cpu or ram? At what point will HA be overpowered and not use resources?

1 Like

That will be more than ample. You could give it more if you like, but you’ll probably find it won’t make any performance difference.

Noob question here:

I have HA installed on Proxmox. It’s booting from 32GB on an SSD. I also have a spinning disk in the machine which I’ve allocated 500GB to the homeassistant VM.

HA seems to know its there. Here it is in System>Host>Hardware:

sudo fdisk /dev/sdb gets “can’t open”.

I’m driving a set of IP cams using Frigate and I’d like to use this larger drive to store video clips, etc. My problem is I don’t know how to make that drive accessible to HA. Within the terminal inside homeassistant a df -h command renders this:

I don’t see my 500GB space available. I’m sure I’m missing a step here. Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Like

What did you intend to do with 500Gb for Home Assistant ?

Whatever use that space should probably better be configured outside of Home Assistant.

It is just a setting. The space that’s allocated for the virtual disk is not actually committed until it’s needed. So you can allocate more virtual storage than there is physical to back it up. As long as one monitors that actual free space at the storage layer, this is a perfectly acceptable method to allocate sufficient storage without the hassle or risk of expanding a volume later on.

Thanks for the reply.

I run Frigate within Home Assistant to drive my IP Cams and perform AI object detection.

Frigate saves the videos to /media/frigate/clips. I’m worried that the 32GB boot disk (local-lvm on SSD) will be insufficient to store these videos for long.

I wanted to add a larger volume that I could access within HA to either change the folder in which Frigate saves the clips, or set up some sort of automation to move them over and I thought by allocating the 500GB drive space (part of a 9TB zfs HDD) to the Home Assistant VM I could do that, but I cannot figure out how to access it from within HA.

Thanks Steve - Are you saying that, under my current configuration, If I should exceed the 32GB boot disk HA/Frigate will automatically start saving to the 500GB space on the HDD with no action required on my part?

No. What I am saying is that you can set the disk size in Proxmox 1TB even if the physical disk is only 500GB. The VM will think it has the full TB even though there’s not enough real storage to support it.

That sounds kind of useless, but it’s not. If you are using ZFS for example, when that 500GB drive in my earlier example is almost full you can add another 500GB drive to the pool and now you’ve got a full TB. No moving files or resizing partitions, and that can be done with no downtime too.

And when that 1TB isn’t enough just add another drive to the pool, and so on…

Steve - Ah, gotcha. Yeah that is a great feature. I just can’t figure out how to access the additional drive within HA. Any idea how I can initialize, partition, and use /dev/sdb within HA?