Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

I ended up just making that larger HD a part of another Ubuntu Linux container on my Proxmox server and then running the following shell commands on an automation interval. Seems like an odd way to simply bring in more storage space to Home Assistant but its getting the job done so I suppose this is what I’ll do until I find a better solution.

shell_command:

mount_cams: mkdir -p /media/camsonplex;mount -t cifs -o user=redacted,password=redacted //IP redacted/plex/cams /media/camsonplex

copy_clips: ‘cd /media/frigate/clips;for file in *.mp4;do cp -u “$file” /media/camsonplex/"$(TZ=America/New_York date -r “$file” +"%Y%m%d_%H_%M_%S")_${file:0: -29}.mp4";done’

I have followed this guide to install home assistant from a Pi3b onto a virtual machine with Proxmox, which is brilliant, thank you.
I have a strange problem with home assistant on the virtual machine. My Tuya and Sonoff devices (on wifi) all work perfectly and I have a ZigBee network working perfectly as well.
The problem is home assistant no longer sees any WLED devices, Lifx lights or switch bots. These all work perfectly on the Pi but not on the virtual machine.
I use the same snapshot on both devices but I just can’t get the virtual machine to see the devices. Even if I uninstall all the lights they are not seen again to reinstall.
Very strange as the wled uses ip addresses but home assistant cant find them (they work in the wled app).

In the core error logs i have this:

**2021-03-07 10:12:31 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.wled] Error fetching wled data: Invalid response from API: Timeout occurred while connecting to WLED device at 192.168.68.120**
**2021-03-07 10:12:31 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Config entry 'wled-kitchen2' for wled integration not ready yet. Retrying in 80 seconds**
**2021-03-07 10:12:54 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.config_entries] Config entry 'EPSON WF-3520 Series' for ipp integration not ready yet. Retrying in 80 seconds**
**2021-03-07 10:13:10 ERROR (MainThread) [aiohttp.server] Unhandled exception**
**Traceback (most recent call last):**
**  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/asyncio/base_events.py", line 1152, in _sendfile_fallback**
**    read = await self.run_in_executor(None, file.readinto, view)**
**asyncio.exceptions.CancelledError**
**During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:**
**Traceback (most recent call last):**
**  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiohttp/web_protocol.py", line 485, in start**
**    resp, reset = await task**
**  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiohttp/web_protocol.py", line 440, in _handle_request**
**    reset = await self.finish_response(request, resp, start_time)**
**  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiohttp/web_protocol.py", line 591, in finish_response**
**    await prepare_meth(request)**
**  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiohttp/web_fileresponse.py", line 241, in prepare**
**    return await self._sendfile(request, fobj, offset, count)**
**  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/site-packages/aiohttp/web_fileresponse.py", line 96, in _sendfile**
**    await loop.sendfile(transport, fobj, offset, count)**
**  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/asyncio/base_events.py", line 1131, in sendfile**
**    return await self._sendfile_fallback(transport, file,**
**  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/asyncio/base_events.py", line 1161, in _sendfile_fallback**
**    await proto.restore()**
**  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/asyncio/base_events.py", line 263, in restore**
**    self._transport.resume_reading()**
**  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/asyncio/sslproto.py", line 344, in resume_reading**
**    self._ssl_protocol._transport.resume_reading()**
**AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'resume_reading'**

Am I missing something simple here? Does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Operating System
Home Assistant OS 5.12

Version
supervisor-2021.03.4

core-2021.2.3

Can you ping them from your HA command line or terminal?

If not, you may not have bridged your Proxmox and HA NICs properly (or at all).

They should effectively be on the same network.

Thanks for pointing me this direction
I can ping the proxmox address and my router from home assistant command line but nothing else.
I can’t see anything wrong with the bridge set up but I am a complete novice which wont help - but learing fast! (trying to)
vmbr0 is bridged to network device enp3s0 but when I go into the HA teminal the ip for the home assitant in emp0s18. Could this be the problem?

And I see that your WLED integration in HA thinks that WLED is at 192.168.68 120.
Is that address correct, is that the IP address that you use to connect the WLED app to?

Can you ping 192.168.68.120 from HA?

There is no response from 192.168.68.120 (which is the correct address) or the other wled lights. All are on the network and can be controlled from the wled app.
Even the lights i can actually control from home assistant I don’t get a response from pinging but can still control (sonoff and tuya) them from lovelace - its strange.

What’s your HA ip address and subnet?

HA ip 192.168.1.5
not sure about subnet - where do you find that?

Had to reinstall Home Assistant ip is now 192.168.1.3/24
The linux bridge is connected between proxmox ip and my router ip. I can ping them both, but not anything else on the network - not even the devices still working with Home assistant.

So if HA thinks your WLED is on 192.168.68.120 and your HA is on 192.168.1.3 then it’s no wonder they’re not talking.
Something is wrong with your config or network. Did you set your WLED for static IP or something?

You need to make sure they’re on the same subnet.

I.e HA 192.168.1.3
WLED 192.168.1.something
Having it on 192.168.68.something will not work.

1 Like

Ah, I see what you are saying. This worked perfectly on the Pi for the past couple of years, so I assumed it would work on the VM/Proxmox.
The 192.168.1.x is the router - all ethernet connections
The 192.168.68.x is the tp-link Deco Wifi mesh set up which is connected to the router
All smart devices on the wifi have static IPs

Do you know if there is a way to connect/bridge the two networks? (just if there is a simple way, I will start to look into this - I think I may have a long road ahead)

You should be able to set the mesh router in bridge mode, so that it effectively becomes part of your main 192.168.1.x network and relays DHCP requests to your router.
But you’d have to change the IP addresses of your IOT devices too then.
If the host machine has wifi you could also try connect the VM to wired ethernet and wifi at the same time, so that it’s part of both networks.

After a lot of research, entering into the wonderful world of networks using debian and linux, I decided to take the easy route and just to put my mesh into Access Point mode from Router mode. This just puts everything into one network. basically at the flick of a switch in the app.(I am using TP-Link M4 set up)
A few changes in the configuration.yaml to point home assistant in the direction of the lifx lights and shelly devices and all is working great. Everything else is working well with no intervention from me. (I have about 30 smart devices on my network)
Thanks for your help with this - much appreciated.

1 Like

i get an error

root@m90p:~# sudo bash -c “$(wget -qLO - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Kanga-Who/home-assistant/master/hassos_install.sh)”
[INFO] Using ‘unraid’ for storage location.
[INFO] Container ID is 100.
Getting URL for latest Home Assistant disk image…
Downloading disk image…
hassos_ova-5.12.vmdk.xz 20%[======================> ] 53.73M 8.93MB/s eta 29s ^hassos_ova-5.12.vmdk.xz 25%[============================> ] 66.78M 6.76MB/s eta 28s ^hassos_ova-5.12.vmdk.xz 37%[==========================================> ] 98.56M 9.88MB/s eta 21s ^Extracting disk image…
Creating VM…
[ERROR] 2@136 Unknown failure occured. ’

Looks like your storage location from what you’ve posted.

How big is the free space left?

[solved] it wouldn’t install to my NFS unraid share when creating the VM. as a work around i had to create locally then move the vmdks to the NFS unraid share.

Hey there.

I’ve been using Whiskers instructions for a long time now for running HA through proxmox on a dedicated old HTPC. I’ve never needed to use docker or VM in the past before this and still don’t fully understand it if i’m honest, but it works right!?
Anyway, i’m interested in using a 2nd instance for either testing or for starting from scratch. Is there a way of doing this with proxmox? I’d ideally like them running side by side for a while until i’m happy with the new one and then delete the old version.

Thanks, this worked perfectly! One question: as improvements are made to Home Assistant, how do I get those improvements incorporated into my installation?

Home Assistant is updated from within Home Assistant. You will update HA as normal and update Proxmox separately when needed for security patches and so on.