Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

@DavidFW1960 that doesn’t seem to work for me if I go via the iOS app being as it is routing in from an external address. Can browse with iframes when at home going direct to the IP

Just take automated snapshots of the Proxmox container/VM, achieves the same thing.

1 Like

@KingRichard give Duplicati a try. It’s the best thing I have found to work especially if you want to save the backup to Cloud

I believe @kanga_who already give the best solutions hahahahahahah… Which I used frequently even for my VM HA+Supervised

You have to specify the external address for the iFrame (use a reverse proxy)

I had a go at creating the homeassistant container from the helpers file. No luck I’m afraid. Console comes up with a login command but ipaddress:8123 does not load at all.

Has anyone had better luck with running has as a container? If so what script did you use?

Thanks

It’s not a recommended way of running HA. The guide is not for this.

maybe not but was interested to see how it runs compared with my VM.

Update:
Got it running as a LXC container.
HACS installed.
Portainer.
Samba share installed to open access to all the configuration files easily
ssh installed.

Just running some tests. Very very lightweight. Yes, no supervisor or addon store but if I have my main ones as other containers in proxmox I’m not missing anything.
Can use portainer just to update to the latest each time or by shell command.

Interesting though.

Just popped in to say that this script worked a charm for me!

1 Like

On Discord #homeassistant_os today someone had problems getting HAOS to boot on Proxmox. The UEFI firmware was always complaining with the error Access Denied. Disabling Secure Boot by hitting Escape when the Proxmox logo shows up and disable it under Device Manager → Secure Boot seemed to help. Thought I leave this here in case it comes up :slight_smile:

@Kanga-Who minor other detail: From what I can tell the script currently uses S-ATA as Bus for the disk. HAOS should support VirtIO Block as hard disk bus option since a while. It paravirtualizes the disk drive and is the most efficient option.

hmm, very nice! How did you installed as lxc? Would be interested to run a second instance.

If you would like to have a discussion about that, start a new thread please. This guide is not for that purpose.

1 Like

Would it just be a case of substituting like this?

qm set $VMID \
  -efidisk0 ${DISK0_REF},size=128K \
  -sata0 ${DISK1_REF},size=6G > /dev/null
qm set $VMID \
  -boot order=sata0 > /dev/null

for

qm set $VMID \
  -efidisk0 ${DISK0_REF},size=128K \
  -VirtIO0 ${DISK1_REF},size=6G > /dev/null
qm set $VMID \
  -boot order=VirtIO0 > /dev/null

The script uses virtio-scsi
virtio-scsi offers a better command set than virtio-blk and supports more use cases.

EDIT: as for secure boot

1 Like

I have 2 attached storage disks. one attached to the proxmox directly (SSD) and one remote HDD(CIFS). Daily backups to both for all containers/vms with a purge of 3.
Piece of cake. Can restore any in a minute. Guess you could upload 1 to a cloud also.
No messing about with snapshots etc that don’t always work and can take ages.
HA in lxc. With turnkey you can add the addons easily.
I have a portainer on each lxc for easy GUI interface.

Update HA version just by redeploying the image from portainer.

and just look at the resources used for all of this! Soo lightweight and fast

@tteckster

virtio-scsi offers a better command set than virtio-blk and supports more use cases.

Ok interesting, what kind of use cases? I think FS trim should be supported these days in virtio-blk. I guess performance wise it doesn’t really make a difference…

as for secure boot

To be fair, I don’t know Proxmox. There was a person on #homeassistant_os with the Access Denied messages, and he was able to fix it when I linked that post. Maybe Proxmox not supporting it make it problematic when its enabled in the ovmf firmware settings :man_shrugging:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Proxmox/comments/qil7qy/unable_to_pxe_boot_uefibased_vms/hkzrz0z/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

1 Like

This explains it better than I can

https://www.qemu.org/2021/01/19/virtio-blk-scsi-configuration/

That’s the problem, it’s enabled by default. Disable Secure Boot in ovmf UEFI bios should be added to the guides.

This explains it better than I can

Configuring virtio-blk and virtio-scsi Devices - QEMU

From what I can tell, its mostly about supporting more devices, CD-ROM support and “full SCSI” support, but a bit unclear what that exactly brings me.

IMHO, as long as FS trim works, I’d rather take the performance advantage with virtio-blk .

That’s the problem, it’s enabled by default. Disable Secure Boot in ovmf UEFI bios should be added to the guides.

Ugh I see. And I guess it can’t be disabled as part of the machine config…?

As slight as it is, in your case, I totally agree

I’m afraid not.

Can anyone recommend a lga1200 motherboard that supports hardware pass through vPro or VT-d, it’s a requirement for frigate but there’s very little info out there.