Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

@tteck Using your new script with the CPU model and disk caching option. Awesome! Did you remove the network IP config option in advanced? Just ran through an install and for the life of me I didnโ€™t see the option anymoreโ€ฆreally need to set a static IP.

Also, under what circumstances is setting the host CPU type advisable?

Assigning a static IP address is not possible with the script as it would not work correctly (has never had that option). Instead, you can reserve the IP address in your router, use a previously reserved MAC address, or set a static IP within Home Assistant to establish a specific IP address.

Also, under what circumstances is setting the host CPU type advisable?

Did you ever get a true resolution to this issue? I was having a similar issue on my N5105 based installation with constant crashes and similar screens in the shell to what you posted. I moved my installation to a recycled i7-8400 platform with double the RAM and while it hasnโ€™t crashed, it is now starting to show similar RAM creep on at the VM level, but not in the HAOS dashboard.

Current install
Proxmox 7.3.6
Linux 5.15.74-1-pve
i7-8400
32GB RAM
Single 512GB SSD EXT4 for Proxmox and backups
Dual 512 GB NVME ZFS mirror for VMs

When I moved machines from my N5105 I stood a fresh VM from trackโ€™s script and then restored the HAOS data, stripping out basically every add-on I had running and starting with the bare minimum to try and locate the source of the issue. But the issue remains, high RAM โ€˜usageโ€™ on the Proxmox VM but none of the add-ons or HAOS indicate they are us much RAM at all in the dashboard.

What is confusing is that I have (2) other VMs/LXC running on the same host at this time and they show minimal RAM usage. But now on two back to back hosts I am seeing this behavior on an HAOS VM.

Any thoughts or feedback would be welcome.

I just replied to someone else from an older post about the memory / RAM issues they were experiencing, but I too am experiencing the same behavior you are describing. Did you ever find a solution? The details of my situation should be immediately before this post in a reply to someone else.

Hello. Yes, all problems were gone after I had switched to Kernel version 6.

Thanks for the response. Can I assume you used the instructions in this article that tteck linked?

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/opt-in-linux-6-1-kernel-for-proxmox-ve-7-x-available.119483/

1 Like

Thanks for tha walk through. Just installed and worked first time, no IP clash, as I did before looking at other tutorials. THanks!

Iโ€™ve just installed prior to the installation 4gb ram, so now should have 8. In the HA summery, it states only 4gb. I know I can adjust this in Proxmox but do you know if I need to adjust the NUC settings to increase RAM? I thought it would be just detected?

EDIT:

On another note, not one add-on will start. For example, if I go onto ESPhome, there is a red dot in the top right corner, if I press โ€˜startโ€™ nothing happens.

Hi all,

I installed HA using this script a while back and all has been great but wondering if anyone here can direct me to the correct thread/post to help clear up my HA Storage. I havenโ€™t been able to find a Proxmox HA OS specific guide or similar to do this.

Iโ€™ve tried a few other suggestions without luck but have managed to access the host system via SSH and found the culprit /dev/sda8

Any assistance in clearing this up or directing me to the correct thread/post would really help.
Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Try

cd /
du -d 1|sort -n
1 Like

Hi everyone,

I just installed Proxmox on a new mini PC. I got a local proxmox up and running. I can reach it thru a web browser. Unfortunately nothing seems to work in point 2 and point 3.

root@proxmox:~# bash -c โ€œ$(wget -qLO - https://github.com/tteck/Proxmox/raw/main/vm/haos-vm.sh)โ€
root@proxmox:~#

Can someone help please?

seems like DNS failure, can you reach ftp.de.debian.org, in your browser ?
if you can from another device, the failure is on your proxmox host โ€ฆ
then try to ping the same from your console in proxmox

This is an excellent article that demonstrates how to use the latest procedures to set up HAOS on Proxmox.

3 Likes

Hi @tteck ,

I installed proxmox on a new miniPC and then HA in one VM last weekend. Unfortunately my HA instance is really unstable and keeps restarting multiple times a day.

When I look at RAM usage in HA, it is always between 1.0G to 1.2 G. In Proxmox HA VM, it always shows anywhere between 50% to 98%

While doing the proxmox and HA installation, I tried to learn it thru a youtube video. After reading thru this thread, I realize that older Kernel version might be the root cause here. Can I do the Kernel upgrade after shutting down HA VM or do I need to completely remove HA VM, do the kernel upgrade and then reinstall the HA all over again?

Any tips you can give me would be really helpful.

Thanks !

To ensure compatibility with a newer Intel Celeron, you will need to install the Proxmox 6.2 kernel and the Intel microcode. After installation, reboot Proxmox to apply the changes.

Edit: For detailed instructions, please refer to the guide posted above your post.

I did use that guide that you so kindly provided. Although I wish I had it earlier when I was doing the first fresh install instead of a video on youtube.

Did Kernel upgrade. Then rebooted proxmox.

Then did the Intel microcode upgrade and then another reboot of proxmox.

RAM usage for HA VM is still over 2.5G.

While it shows around 1G in HA GUI.

Is that normal?

I find it challenging to understand the issue with RAM usage, as it appears to vary depending on the setup. There are numerous topics on this forum that discuss it.

Sorry, I donโ€™t mean to bother you or anything.

My setup is actually pretty simple. My Raspberry PI running HA was slowing down so I bought a new miniPC.

Processor Type โ€ŽCeleron
Processor Speed โ€Ž2.9 GHz
Processor Socket โ€ŽBGA 413
Processor Count โ€Ž4
RAM Size โ€Ž8 GB
Computer Memory Type โ€ŽDDR4 SDRAM
Maximum Memory Supported โ€Ž8 GB
Memory Clock Speed โ€Ž2.9 GHz
Hard Drive Size โ€Ž256 GB
Hard Disk Description โ€ŽSSD

It came with Win11 default. Last weekend I formatted it and installed proxmox new and then HA in one VM. I got nothing else running on this box.

After migrating my HA setup, HA instant was restarting randomly. I deactivated some add-ons just to make sure if those are not the one causing the problems but it didnโ€™t help. Then I came across this thread โ€ฆ

Sorry for the silly questions but as HA keeps restarting over last 5 days, it was/is a bit โ€˜panicโ€™ situation for me.

There is increased usage of ram in haos 10. Try downgrading to 9.5.

1 Like