Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

Excellent script! Thanks a lot for this! My initial installation as well as the upgrade from PVE7 to PVE8 ran smoothless and with no errors, faults or even hickups.

I’m totally hocked up to the scripts you provide, from HA to Jellyfin, from install to upgrade - your Github repo should be noted in every installation tutorial. :+1:

Thanks man, for taking the time to make my life easier (and not only mine)! It’s highly appreciated! :slight_smile: :wave:

2 Likes

Strange… I got notified with a new post in this thread by @tteck and if I open that link in the notification, it opens a windows with 2 different versions of a post being edited… :confused:

Editing the OP
Waiting on @kanga_who to change the title

3 Likes

I’m generally not a big fan of changing a title. It might be better, to just open up a new thread with copy&paste.

Why? :slight_smile:

• if the title changes, the link changes. All links outside and inside this forum run into a 404…
  • this thread already has over 1000 posts…and honestly, a lot of people don’t even know about the “search only this thread” function. So why not start fresh and see how long it takes us for another 1000 posts?
  • Wouldn’t it make sense, if you @tteck would post that new thread? Would it make easier to update

#1 is the main reason why I like to not change titles. For all my threads, it wouldn’t really matter, they are not so frequented and important as this one. I’m quite sure I was in this very thread here more often, than in all my own threads combined :rofl: :rofl:

I hear ya, we’ll wait and let @kanga_who make the decisions.

1 Like

I think Patrick has a point: why not create a new guide for v8 and let this one for v7 exist?

1 Like

Done :wink:

And thanks @tteck for the updates, always appreciated!

1 Like

Just an idea: maybe it’s not bad to mention in the OP that this thread was about v7, for those who have not upgraded yet…

1 Like

By the way, it appears that it does not cause any links to break.

1 Like

You’re right, not the ones inside the forum, there seems to be a rewrite rule (nowadays) :+1: My two “outside” links will not get updated or re-written, I just checked. :grimacing:

Nevermind, deal is already done. :wink: :slight_smile:

I followed your suggestion.

1 Like

Wow - I just want to shout this out as a huge help!

I successfully migrated from a Raspberry Pi 4B running Home Assistant OS to a Beelink SER5 running Proxmox (and a VM for Home Assistant OS) using the scripts you provided in the original post in under 2 hours.

The only two things I had to do manually were get Proxmox installed and add the USB devices (Zigbee and Z-wave dongles → under the VM settings > Hardware > Add > USB Device > Use USB Vendor/Device ID to the VM).

This was a huge help, thank you!

5 Likes

NOTE: I feel like this is an appropriate thread to post, but let me know if there’s a better one out there.

Hi all, has anyone run into an issue where nothing installs because of “client.timeout exceeded while waiting for headers”? It started when I couldn’t install any add-ons on my instance, then the 23.7.2 HA update, then a fresh Home Assistant install on my Proxmox setup. This all is/has been running on a Proxmox 8.0 VM. This text file has the logs from my attempt to install HA from @tteck’s HA VM script.

Other things of note:

• The DNS on the pve is fine, I can ping 8.8.8.8 and www.google.com
  • I’m not sure how to check or change the DNS on the HA vm - from the searching I’ve done it sounds like it could be a DNS issue?

Any help is appreciated! :slight_smile:

You mean also any other OS?
Your not using any unusual characters for your settings (hostname/pw/…)?
Did you try the different installation types/options from the script?
Have you tried recreating the VM?

I mean nothing related to Home Assistant installs (such as add-ons, supervisor updates, or new HA vms). I have installed a handful of LXCs with no issue, so maybe it has something to do do with vms?

My settings should all be normal. I didn’t do anything unusual that isn’t predefined in the script. I did try to recreate the vm a couple times, each time by varying the settings in the install script (write through vs. default, host vs its other option).

(Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers)

It’s not DNS
There’s no way it’s DNS
It was DNS

I’ve heard this so many times. :wink:

5 Likes

Haha I was able to ping 8.8.8.8 and www.google.com in the HA console, which surprised me, so I don’t know what to check next.

Not sure if this still is about installing the QEMU agent, but if so it is relatively simple:

Since using the noVNC viewer is impractical I added the studio code server addon to HA. In there you open up the terminal and run your usual install command e.g.
apt update
apt-get install qemu-guest-agent

After that you enable the agent in Proxmox and reboot HA.

After a bit of reading, it seems that this is no longer about the guest agent, but maybe it will help someone.
Fortunately, this allows me to ask an off-topic question myself:

I set up a new Proxmox server a few days ago. It uses an Asus Prime B550 Plus motherboard with an AMD R5 pro 4650G. My problem is that the “sensors-detect” command is unable to find any MB or CPU sensors.

It seems that Asus doesn’t provide any information about their motherboard chips and the community behind the lm-sensors program has given up on supporting them. Obviously I still want to know the CPU temps and if possible the HBA temps.

Does anyone here have a solution for getting temp readings from an Asus board?

1 Like

Hello all, thanks for the Guide!

Currently I’m running Debian 12 in a mini PC (GEEKOM MiniAir 11) and installed Proxmox 8 following this Proxmox Wiki.

Following the guide here everything seems to work up until the end when the following error pops up and the HAOS VM is not created:

[ERROR] in line 427: exit code 255: while executing command qm start $VMID

Appreciate any help or guidance on troubleshooting.
Im new on the board and the automation scene, so Hello, World!

My suggestion is to strictly adhere to the instructions provided in this guide for installing Proxmox.