Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

I have since tried both 104 which I think I have never used before, and the 110 as you suggested which I am 100% positive has never been used and both come with the same error as before.

Simon

Which storage are you trying to use? Use local-lvm

SOLVED

No not the local-lvm, I have been trying my vms storage which is on my trueNAS server, hosted on the same machine.

However, trying it on the local-lvm storage it has worked. I shall live with this,

Thank you
Simon

Using local-lvm for both containers and virtual machines is highly recommended as it will prevent potential issues in the future.

1 Like

I’ve made some updates to my HAOS on Proxmox 7 detailed installation post. The post goes through the whole Proxmox 7.4 installation process, plus deploying the HAOS VM. I of course use the wonderful @tteck scripts to automate much of the process.

Home Assistant: Proxmox 7 Quick Start Guide

If anyone is interested in Proxmox VE 8.0, HAOS on Proxmox VE 8.0 quick start guide:

Home Assistant: Proxmox VE 8.0 Quick Start Guide

1 Like

Proxmox Virtual Environment 8

The 8.x family is based on the great Debian 12 “Bookworm” and comes with a 6.2 kernel, QEMU 8.0.6, LXC 5.0.3, OpenZFS 2.1.12

Looking for a straightforward method to transition a currently running PVE 7 instance into a running PVE 8 instance?

Proxmox Virtual Environment 8 · tteck/Proxmox · Discussion #1472 · GitHub

No longer in beta testing!

https://proxmox.com/en/news/press-releases/proxmox-virtual-environment-8-0

2 Likes

Just wanted to say a BIG thank you for this. Professional, helpful, and it worked 100%. You saved me a ton of time. THANK YOU.

(I registered just to post this!)

3 Likes

As a Proxmox newby I’m very pleased with this howto. I have the latest version 8 running on a hp tc630. Can I still use all the scripts for this version as well?

So I tried to run the first script in the command shell and nothing happened :slight_smile: I just copied and pasted the code from the github in to the shell window on Proxmox. Am I missing something here?

Sounds like you’re missing internet connectivity.

1 Like

Was there a reason this was flagged?

I have no idea. The message I got was “off topic” but it’s exactly the topic at hand, so I dunno?

Excellent guide!

5 Likes

I used this great howto and the scripts to install HO on proxmox 8. When connecting to proxmox admin I still get the message that I do not have a valid subscription. I thought one of the scripts would take care of getting rid off that message? Can I run that script again although proxmox and VE are setup already?

Have a look at this: Remove Proxmox Subscription Notice (Tested to 7.1-10) – John's Computer Services
I used the manual steps.

I’ve been running Proxmox 7 for a couple of months with no issues, so thought I would give version 8 a try after following the guide (Derek Seaman’s) kindly linked to here. Everything went well, I followed it to the letter, updated to the latest version of 7.4 available before updating to 8 etc.

Everything was working fine yesterday subsequent to the update - showing correctly in Proxmov 8 and Home Assistant was running fine also. Still running fine at around 11pm last night. I woke up this morning to find both Home Assistant as well as my Proxmox host machine ‘offline’ and not responding to ping. The LED power indicator on my Dell host was on, so I plugged a monitor into the host to see what showed on screen, and there were several lines referring to Realtek ethernet r8169 enp1s0:

Can anyone suggest what may have caused this, or what these messages indicate? Are there any log files that might give more insight as to the problem? With my limited knowledge I’m thinking possible driver issue for my ethernet adapter and Proxmox v8?

Hi Scott, you will likely find more help on the Proxmox forum.
Maybe consider not updating that fast if a new version of a program is released; sometimes is not bad to stick to what you run already.

I’m staying with the latest v7.x for now.

Hi Nick, Yeah I do normally hold back on updating, but curiosity got the better of me - following minor memory creep issues and testing different Kernels.

This ethernet driver does look like a reported issue on the Proxmox forum - should anyone else face the same after updating to v8

I’ll be rolling back to 7.4 in the meantime while following that thread.

1 Like

:grin:
Curiosity killed the cat…

It’s now about 4 years that I discovered and use Proxmox: I really like it A LOT.
I have 1VM and 10LXC’s running on it so I’m very cautious with updates.

I guess you run more then HA on yours, or at least plan to do so: in that case you it’s wise to hold back.
I see no big advantage of upgrading.

1 Like

Haha indeed! Well my cavalier attitude this one time certainly reminded why I normally hold off! Although, I am only running a single node in Proxmox currently, so not the end of the world, and a hard reboot resolved things for now, but a pain nonetheless to revert. It does look like either a Kernel downgrade to 5.x or running the 8168 driver instead of the 8169 will also resolve, so I’ll do some testing before reverting back to 7.4.

I do plan on eventually also running some LXC’s alongside my HA VM, as I have enjoyed using Proxmox in the short time that I have been running it, after moving my HA from a very old (Celeron) Intel NUC.

Delete your browser cache.