Installing Home Assistant Supervised on a Raspberry Pi using Debian 12

Did you update to the new 11.2 release? If so, do you need to do

sudo apt update && sudo apt full upgrade

instead of the app upgrade?

No I didnā€™t and most probably wont do. As usual I tend to follow the if it ainā€™t broke, donā€™t fix it-path. The HAā€™s I maintain are all doing their jobs without errors worth mentioning thus I see no reason to update the underlying OS.

Mentions security issues that are fixed

If this would be a server machine with 100% exposure to the internet I would definitely keep it always up-to-date without question. But since we are talking about a little RPI sitting inside a LAN with just port 443 listening to outside, additionally protected by a USG4-Pro with some fw-rules in place I donā€™t think that HA is in real danger of getting hacked whatsoever. Why should I go through the hassle of upgrading Debian 11.0 to Debian 11.2 just for this?

Well, this is my point of view. If you feel more safe to go through that update with all the risks of breakage involved just go for it :grimacing:

Thanks. If I update do I do The full command?

The following commands should be sufficient to go to latest version of your installed release:

sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get upgrade

Reboot

You can check the installed release by doing:
sudo lsb_release -r

This says I have 11. Iā€™ll try the update and let you know if I see if there are any issues. In the Debian forum it says to do

sudo apt update && sudo apt full upgrade

Not knowing Debian well enough, what is the difference with this vs what you posted?

After doing the two commands you referenced it still shows the version as 11. Reading the difference it looks like full is needed to upgrade between versions (I think).

apt upgrade	
Does not remove any packages and skips upgrading old packages if removal is needed	
apt full-upgrade
Removes old packages if needed to perform the upgrade of packages to their latest versions

To run my existing HA system as supervisor, do I need to worry about doing the full upgrade?

Someone said elsewhere that to upgrade to 11.2 you need to run sudo apt dist-upgrade

1 Like

Excerpt from:
man apt-get

upgrade

upgrade is used to install the newest versions of all packages currently installed on the system from the sources enumerated in /etc/apt/sources.list. Packages currently installed with new versions available are retrieved and upgraded; under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed, or packages not already installed retrieved and installed. New versions of currently installed packages that cannot be upgraded without changing the install status of another package will be left at their current version. An update must be performed first so that apt-get knows that new versions of packages are available.

dist-upgrade

dist-upgrade in addition to performing the function of upgrade, also intelligently handles changing dependencies with new versions of packages; apt-get has a ā€œsmartā€ conflict resolution system, and it will attempt to upgrade the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if necessary. The dist-upgrade command may therefore remove some packages. The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains a list of locations from which to retrieve desired package files. See also apt_preferences(5) for a mechanism for overriding the general settings for individual packages.

1 Like

I have tried both dist-upgrade, and full. Full give command not allowed. dist-upgrade seems to work but after complete I run sudo lsb_release -r and it still shows 11 not 11.2.
I ran:

sudo apt update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
and I get
Calculating upgrade... Done

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded

So there is probably no update to 11.2 for the RPI4 (aarch64 architecture) yet? Where did you get that information from anyway?

https://www.debian.org/News/2021/20211218

The Debian project is pleased to announce the second update of its stable distribution Debian 11 (codename ā€œbullseyeā€). This point release mainly adds corrections for security issues, along with a few adjustments for serious problems. Security advisories have already been published separately and are referenced where available.

Please note that the point release does not constitute a new version of Debian 11 but only updates some of the packages included. There is no need to throw away old ā€œbullseyeā€ media. After installation, packages can be upgraded to the current versions using an up-to-date Debian mirror.

Obviously v.11.2 is not (officially) ported to the Raspberry Pi 64-bit (aarch64) hardware.

If

sudo apt update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

brings up

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded

there is nothing to upgrade for the Raspi at this time. This might be different for other rigs (NUC, Odroid etc.) but as for the RPI4 there simply is no 11.2 (yet).

1 Like

In the Debian news group.

What is the reason you are so desperate to upgrade to 11.2? Is there something in that release that will fix your system (i.e. your system does not currently work on 11.0)?

1 Like

No desperate reason. Just saw that it was released and addressed several security issues. I guess Iā€™m use to updating when released as that is what is recommended in HA.

Looks like itā€™s not released for Raspbian yet. FWIW I use a script to update and clean and it always runs dist-upgrade

1 Like

Running

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

regulary should be sufficient to keep the underlying OS up-to-date, secure and still following the recommendation of HA. Remember that ā€œThe latest is the greatestā€ is not always true, especially with OSS.

With dist-upgrade I would be careful and read the possible breaking changes before running that command and before confirming the final execution by hitting ā€œyā€.

2 Likes

I just wanted to say Happy Holidays to everyone on this thread; the guidance, procedures, best practices, sound advice and not to forget the patience has been truly appreciated - THANK YOU !!!

2 Likes