Installing Home Assistant Supervised on a Raspberry Pi using Debian 12

Thank you so much for this well written and detailed guide. It enabled me to do a fresh install on an Rpi 4 8GB system with one of those fancy Argon cases with an M.2 drive. Absolutely painless.

Best,

Ritz

1 Like

Happy new year everyone! First off, I am new to RP & HA ā€“ so thanks in advance for your patience. I got HA OS up and running on my RP4 last night, then immediately decided I wanted access to HACS, so I started barking up the HA Supervised tree.

Iā€™ve followed these instructions 5 times (very well written, btw), and each time HA login screen doesnā€™t load and when I plug HDMI back into my Pi, I seeā€¦

eth0: renamed from veth[randomstring 0]
IPv6: ADDRCONF (DETDEV_CHANGE): veth[random string]: link becomes ready/
docker0: port 1(veth[random string]) entered disabled state
docker0: port 1(veth[random string]) entered forwarding state
docker0: port 1(veth[random string]) entered disabled state

and a bunch of ā€œdevice entered promiscuous modeā€ and ā€œdevice entered disabled stateā€ log strings.

If I reboot the system, it just goes into a boot loopā€¦
systemd[1]: hassio-supervisor.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=125/n/a
systemd[1]: hassio-supervisor.service: failed with result 'exit code'.

with mentions ofā€¦
Could not generate persistent MAC: Is a directory
ethtool: Autonegotiation is unset or enabled, the speed and duplex are not writable
Failed to connect stdout to journal socket, ignoring: Connection refused

Iā€™m paraphrasing the log lines, though I fear thatā€™s both counterproductive & a no-no when seeking help in a forum like this.

The only difference in approach compared to the instructions is that Iā€™m booting Debian from a micro SD (vs. SSD). I canā€™t imagine that would cause the boot loop (ignoring, though, that maybe this is a poor performance/stability choice in the long run?)

Anyway, Iā€™m in a positionā€“being new to all of thisā€“where Iā€™m not really sure what to even ask.

Hardware: Raspberry Pi4 Model B with 1.5GHz 64-bit quad-core CPU & a 128GB Samsung EVO+ Micro SD Card (Class 10)

Iā€™ve booted the 2021.08.23 11 (Bullseye) Wired & Wireless versions. No dice.

I hope this isnā€™t foreshadowing my future experience running the supervised instance & managing Debian myself :grimacing: Iā€™m not an engineer, but Iā€™m relatively technically literate, even if Iā€™m not super comfortable with Linux or command line script, specifically.

Thanks for your help in advance!

1 Like

Iā€™m getting the same, on a very similar set up (Pi3 instead of Pi4). Really hoping someone more knowledgable comes back on thisā€¦

You didnā€™t tell which Raspberry Pi4 Model B (4 GB or 8GB?) you are trying to install HA Supervised on.
The correct image for the 4GB model is:

Did you use the above?

Thanks for the quick reply @Tamsy - Iā€™m using Raspberry Pi4 B 8GB. I booted the version you screenshot (twice, then the wired version on my third attempt).

I assumed ā€œtestedā€ meant just that (confirmed functioning) rather than ā€œwonā€™t work on anything elseā€/that it wouldnā€™t work on a Pi with more RAM. Should I consider that my issue?

Shouldnā€™t make a difference.

Are you sure you have followed the instructions with the OP exactly, especially when it comes to 1.5) where you create an unpriviledged user, then unplug the monitor and keyboard from the Pi and continue the installation by connecting to your Pi via SSH (from your PC over LAN) and go on with the installation as the sudo-user instead of doing all of the following as the root user?

1 Like

After my first attempt, yes. 4 times, in fact. I saw the monitor/keyboard removal ā€œrequirementā€ note when hunting through replies after my initial fail.

However, when I SSH in, the sudo -i command from 2.1 generates a demand for my previously created sudo/non-root user password. After typing it in, I am reverted to the root user (for all remaining steps in Sections 2 & 3). I understood this to be intentional. Particularly with the note in 3.1 ā€œā€¦make sure you are running as root before executing the below commands.ā€

Is that where Iā€™m going wrong? Should entering my password after the sudo -i command not change me over to the root user?

You enter your user (not root) password only whenever the console asks you for that password.

sudo -i makes the following commands getting executed with root privileges as needed. The prompt for inputting your previously created sudo/non-root user password is intentional by design. All good there.

You wrote ā€œIā€™ve followed these instructions 5 timesā€. How did you do that? Did you restart with Section 1 using balenaEtcher starting again from zero?

That I didā€“back to square/Section 1 all five times. I would re-image the SD card each time using balenaEtcher. It was on my third (or fourth?) attempt that I thought Iā€™d try the ā€œwireless interface not detectedā€ version (tested on p400 per the tested images page) just to cover all my bases, as I was using a LAN connection every time.

I appreciate your engagement on this so far @Tamsy!

That is really strange. The only thing I can imagine of is a compatibility problem with the actual ā€œ2021.08.23 11 Bullseyeā€. This has happened before with Debian 10 Buster too where later images suddenly brought problems similar to yours. Unfortunately I donā€™t have an older guaranteed-to-work-image for Bullseye archived. I have already looked through my files for it. Maybe @kanga_who can jump in with an earlier Bullseye-Image (or a helping hand)?

@proctavius PM sent with a link to my Google Drive with an April 2021 version of Debian.

2 Likes

@kanga_who as posted above, Iā€™m having very similar issues to @matt, only with a Pi3 instead of Pi4. If you have an older image for Pi3, do you mind sharing it with me? Iā€™d be super grateful.

PM Sent, let me know how you go.

1 Like

Thank you @kanga_who , really appreciate the support!

1 Like

@kanga_who Still dropping onto the same endless string of log lines that @Mat quoted above.

As Iā€™m using a Pi3, Iā€™ve tried both Raspberry Pi3 and Raspberry Pi3 64bit at stage 3.2.

Watching the logging, the chain Mat quotes starts immediately after [info] installing the 'ha' CLI

Any thoughts you might have would be really greatā€¦

As of today (2022-01-03) the debian bookworm release isnā€™t supported yet.

Some issues I ran into:

• Time/Date was not synced: fixed with timedatectl
  • Docker had no release for bookworm: went back to bullseye release

Yep, and thatā€™s why this isnā€™t a guide for running on Debian 12. Once it is supported by HA, the guide will be updated. Until then, use Deb 11 as per the guide.

1 Like

Hi there,
I wanted to use the guide to install Home Assistant Supervised on my CM4 with EMMC.
The problem is, that the USB ports are disabled by default on the Compute Module and after the initial boot, I have to use an USB Keyboard to login and follow the guide.
Does anybody had the same issue and a solution?
I already tried adding

dtoverlay=dwc2,dr_mode=host

or

CONFIG_USB_DWC2=y

inside the /boot/config.txt file

nothing worked.
Any idea?
Thanks in advance

dtoverlay=dwc2,dr_mode=host may need to go in /boot/firmware/config.txt, instead of /boot/config.txt, then reboot.

Thanks for your reply.
There is no /boot/firmware/ folder, so I created it and also the config.txt with only:

dtoverlay=dwc2,dr_mode=host

in it.
Still not working