Installing Home Assistant Supervised on a Raspberry Pi using Debian 12

I installed the lastest version (1.3.1) and still get the warning [warn] Could not find /etc/default/grub or /boot/firmware/cmdline.txt failed to switch to cgroup v1.

I added systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=false to the cmdline.txt file in /boot. I do not have a /boot/firmware/ directory. Is the next step to create the directory and the file?

Thanks for your advice.

Could you share the url from where you downloaded Debian 11 image you are using?

I used Raspberry Pi Imager v1.7.3 and installed Raspberry Pi OS Lite (64 bit)

Than that’s your source of trouble.
Sadly Raspberry Pi OS is not supported operating system for Home Assistant. Only Debian 11 is. Hence the installation script doesn’t work well with your OS.

OK - thanks for the info. After many attempts to uninstall, reinstall, reboot, repeat. I still got the error but HA started and is running without problems. All good at this stage.

Sure, it mostly works on other Linux distros, but if you check the system information, you will see your system as unsupported and from my experience you will hit issues sooner or later.

1 Like

…besides both, the title of this thread as well as (not only) in Section 1 it i is clearly stated that the instructions are for installing HA on RPI’s with Debian 11 but not with Raspberry Pi OS.

Thus if you run into trouble please don’t ask for support within this thread.

1 Like

Where does it clearly state “that the instructions are for installing HA on RPI’s with Debian 11 but not with Raspberry Pi OS”?

i.e within the title: Installing Home Assistant Supervised on a Raspberry Pi with Debian 11

or: Using Debian 11 and following a strict set of guidelines available HERE → Please also follow the link

or: This guide will help you to install Home Assistant Supervised, on a Raspberry Pi with Debian 11

or: 1.1) Start by downloading the correct xz-compressed image for your Pi from HERE → the link points to downloads for Debian, not Raspberry Pi OS.

Please note: Supported Operating System, System dependencies and versions → Debian Linux (no derivatives). Although Raspberry Pi OS is based on Debian, it is a derivative.

Probably you’ll find more to-the-point-instructions for installing Home Assistant on Raspberry Pi OS here (fairly new, those instructions are as of July 25, 2022).

3 Likes

Thanks Tamsy. I suggest the following be added at the top to make is very clear “Although Raspberry Pi OS is based on Debian, it is a derivative and as such is not supported with these installation instructions. Do so at your own risk.”

Thanks for the link. I started down that path but it seems to be for HA without Supervised.

Did you click the all caps link and read it? It says this right in the requirements section:

Debian Linux Debian 11 aka Bullseye (no derivatives)

1 Like

Reading, What’s that?

2 Likes

The file for PiOS is in /boot/

Here are my exact steps - worked like a perfect charm (and proof of it working too):

Same here…

I thought this was going to be successful install but although the supervisor would run in docker container, it was getting a “connection refused” trying to access more images and sat there for an hour. Trying to kill the supervisor took another half hour. Another hour of research and someone mentioned ‘resolv.conf had been overwritten’. So I checked mine.

My /etc/resolve.conf was empty. There was no part of the instructions that described how to set up the network. My router knew to assign the eth0 port an ip address and I was able to ssh into it. I ended up manually editing resolv.conf and adding nameserver information and BINGO! it started to come up.

Would you please add some mention in this list of instructions how to ensure the network was configured properly. It put me back hours and untold aggravation.

Hopefully I won’t end up with an unsupported configuration…
Cheers

This is because the DNS settings are managed by NetworkManager.

You should not edit resolv.conf manually as it is generated by NetworkManager. It will likely to get overridden at any time.

The easiest procedure to configure network settings (including DNS servers) is from within Home Assistant:

1. Goto HA → Settings → System → Network
  2. Choose your network interface → IPv4
  3. Choose “Static” and set:
  • IP-Address/Netmask (i.e. 192.168.0.10/24).
  • Gateway Address.
  • DNS Server.
  1. Save and restart HA.

If you want to edit/change DNS settings through the CLI use nmcli (instead of editing /etc/resolv.conf):

1. Find out the active connection name:
    sudo nmcli con

The output looks something like:

NAME             UUID                                  TYPE      DEVICE 
Supervisor eno1  76b55560-114g-47ba-844e-a1eke625bd48  ethernet  eno1

were the connection name is "Supervisor eno1".

1. Now set/change DNS Servers like:
    sudo nmcli con mod "Supervisor eno1" ipv4.dns "8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"

2. To ignore automatically configured nameservers and search domains, i.e. the settings passed from DHCP:
    sudo nmcli con mod "Supervisor eno1" ipv4.ignore-auto-dns yes

3. To not to get temporarily disconnected restart NetworkManager with:
    sudo service NetworkManager restart

More:

PS. If you are not using IPv6 you should switch this off (see above: 1. Goto HA → Settings → System → Network).

1 Like

Thank you - very helpful info. Unfortunately after getting it running, it came up as unsupported and trying to correct it has me starting all over. So I’ll keep this handy to get through the next attempt. There appears to be quite a few folks that ended up in ‘unhealthy’ when I read gown to the end and it’s not clear why or how best to prevent it. (Hopefully the reason will be made clear later.

Cheers and thanks again.

I started all over, wiped the disk and followed verbatim (I know, everyone says that) but after booting up the debian bullseye and doing the update - it apparently updated to bookworm when it failed to get the docker image. I specifically used the Bullseye release here. The error was:

The repository 'https://download.docker.com/linux/debian bookworm Release' does not have a Release file.

So after fiddling and googling around, I’m starting over again to try to get a SUPPORTED HA installation.

It’s a little perplexing when those two links point to pages that look exactly alike except for the revisions called out. When you look at github homeassistant/architecture section they are document 014 readme files. I don’t get how they are the same yet different, but then I’m not a github source developer.
It’s just very confusing when you think you’re following sanctioned procedures. There should be a warning on the top of the outdated one saying see: updated instructions here->architecture/0014-home-assistant-supervised.md at 2017fdae15d48f287f2398e3243a91ec7a34b161 · home-assistant/architecture · GitHub