Installing Home Assistant Supervised on a Raspberry Pi using Debian 12

Overly complicated work around to be fair.

I usually just Nano systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0 back into the cmdline file. Then reboot.

Just seems like that should be unnecessary though.

Agreed, to each his own - actually, that reminds me - Iā€™ve made alot of changes time to do a full backup of the whole disk image

ā€¦and additionally not without certain risks.

To make this even more simple just type the following command through CLI:

sudo sed -i.bak 's/$/ systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=0/' /boot/firmware/cmdline.txt

and reboot.

The above command will take care of writing a backup of the original file (/boot/firmware/cmdline.txt.bak) to be prepared just in case something goes wrong.

Sure that workaround also works.

The work around doesnā€™t address my question though.
Is there a way to stop a work around being requiredā€¦

sounds like no at this point.

Seemingly No at this point. This did never happen with Debian 11 (at least here). I am still investigating the latter on a dev RPI4 with HA Supervised on Debian 12.

It occurred in deb 11 also for me. I was hoping deb 12 would cease the behaviour.
Was also hoping deb 12 might have made the systemd ver2 to cgroupfs ver1 change unnecessary.

Oh well. Itā€™s only a minor inconvenience in the scheme of things.

If in future v1.6.x is released, do we have to manually update it or homeassistant update will automatically update to latest OS-Agent?

Yes, you have to take care by yourself to keep OS Agent updated.

Ok thanksā€¦

I just have 2 sensors, so I can spot an update immediately

This os really nice, how have you implemented this ? Kindly share

Left one is a Github integration
Right one is a Supervisor host sensor

The images are just standard badges

Thank you :+1::+1:

Are there any sensors in Homeassistant that report the above three states as shown in screenshot ?

I had the same issue of lack of GPIO and 1WIRE with the debian12 , (in my opinion a step backwards), I managed to work around this an documented in this post Unable to get a new install of Supervised HA on Docker - #7 by mr-artizan hope this helps

There are now native libraries for handling the gpio pins on 64-bit Debian, have been available for at least a year or so (maybe longer), unfamiliar with 1WIRE

When I install everything new with Debian 12 when installing systemd-resolverd, everything breaks, the connection stops working and I have tried everything and I canā€™t get it to work

When we read this message, we donā€™t know, how you installed it, on what you installed it, what is that everything, you have tried, so we canā€™t get it to work too for youā€¦

1 Like

Heā€™s posting in a thread about installing Supervised on a Raspberry Pi :man_facepalming:

Read the whole thread and you will see, that this assumption has been made before and did not worked out :wink:

1 Like