Installing Home Assistant Supervised using Debian 12

I just went in and deleted my four lines that started with “deb” and typed in what kanga_who had typed, the 6 lines, and we may have a victory - Lets find out!

Edit: Aaaaaand that did the trick.

I really appreciate the help and responses. And the patience!!

I’ll have more questions, I’m sure… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just wondering - did you ever get this installed on an NC10? Just found one in my cupboard and planning on starting my HA adventure…

what img are you using?

debian-10.6.0-arm64-xfce-CD-1.iso
nor debian-10.6.0-arm64-DVD-1.iso doesn’t even boot when I try to use SD card.

I know I’m missing something very obvious, just don’t know what.

No, I abandoned it, it may well be possible to install to a 32 bit machine but not without significant tweaking. I suspect the very frequent updates in HA would break the installation and lead to further tweaking so I left it alone. I’m running HA in Virtualbox on my daily laptop now, works fine.
EDIT: the main problem is with Docker, as far as I recall

1 Like

Heh, I’m back!! Well, I spent today waiting for NabuCasa to work (it had issues). I signed up for a trial account, I got SmartThings configured in Home Assistant, it looks cool! I can use my PC in my studio to access it. I DO have a monitor/keyboard/mouse hooked to it - I have the room, it’s in an upstairs corner. So then I shut down/restarted because I had to move the PC one last time.

hello - log in to Debian screen!

So I logged in with my username and password (from step 1.11). Successfully!

But… No Home Assistant! LOL I have the IP correct, and the port correct… But no Home Assistant!

I would appreciate any help. Also, any help to automatically restart it after a reboot.

Thanks!

If you reboot the machine, you don’t need to do this. The only time you need to log into the Debian machine is if you are running Debian OS updates - you manage HA from the web interface.

HA automatically restarts when the machine starts. If you have have set up a Nabu Casa account, it seems as though there was some connectivity issues for a few hours today that were causing start up problems for many.

I would suggest rebooting the machine, waiting a few minutes and then visiting http://IP_OF_THE_MACHINE:8123

Yep - I had to wait until Nabu Casa was fixed until I could sign up with them. I had put in a ticket - got a response within 5 minutes! And THEN they emailed to tell me I could go ahead. Nice of them!

So - I rebooted. CLEARLY I did SOMETHING wrong somewhere, as it’s sitting at a prompt.

Debian GNU/Linux 10 ejcourmac ttyl

ejcourmac login:

You don’t access HA from the Debian machine, I just stated that. Have you opened your web browser on your phone/PC/tablet/Laptop and gone to http://IP_OF_THE_MACHINE:8123?

Sorry, yes, I did after reboot, from another PC.

This site can’t be reached

10.69.0.214 took too long to respond.

Try:

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Is this an IP on your local network? 10.69.0.214, or your external IP?

That’s my local network.

Did you use this 10.69.0.214 in your web browser, or this 10.69.0.214:8123

The second. 10.69.0.214:8123

On the Debian machine, log in using your username a password, then run these command, and post the results

ip a
sudo docker ps

When you run ip a, what does the entry eth0 show? you’ve cut off the top half of the information

Crap sorry - here.

Well, this isn’t the IP of the machine. Look at eno0 — inet…10.69.0.215.

1 Like

Feel free to laugh at me. Go on, go ahead, I deserve it

Sigh.

I SWEAR I thought it was 214. I would have bet money.

Thanks yet again for your patience.

THIS. NEVER. HAPPENED!

3 Likes

If you are looking for help installing Debian on a Pi4, you can take a look at this guide which will help you install a supported version of Home Assistant Supervised.