Installing Home Assistant Supervised using Debian 12

LTS means they provide updates Long Term, not that you shouldn’t use them!

1 Like

But neither you should use them. I have not read something about a security flaw or therelike with Docker CE 24.x.x which would make it wise to upgrade to 25.0.x.

But here again it seems to be a matter of the point of view: While some prefer to stay on the “bleeding edge” when it comes to upgrades (even these are not mandatory security updates), others prefer to stay on the more conservative side and wait a while to let the latest releases “mature” before installing them.

To each his own.

1 Like

Yeah take your point. Then again many make the legit comment that there are never enough testers.

The release of docker-ce 25.0.x appears to have introduced multiple issues for Supervised HA.

docker-ce 25.0.0 introduced a change in networking behavior the prevented Supervisor from starting. That issue was resolved with the release of docker-ce 25.0.1.
Once HA Supervised was operable on docker-ce 25.0.1 it became apparent there is an issue with the HA InfluxDB integration that may be caused by a change in docker file system mounting behavior introduced in moby v25.

In line with the cautionary approach advised by @Tamsy , it may be advisable to not use docker-ce 25.0.x until more is understood about the impact of the docker file system mounting behavior change.

See

It’s already been discussed in this thread, read above.

1 Like

Simply because the pi isn’t x86_64. You wanted this thread Installing Home Assistant Supervised on a Raspberry Pi using Debian 12

As it says in post 1

This guide will help you to install Home Assistant Supervised, on almost any machine type you choose. This guide has been tested on machines including a Lenovo m72e, Dell Optiplex SFF 990, Dell Optiplex USFF 780 and a HP T520 thin client. If you are using a Raspberry Pi , follow this guide.

2 Likes

thanks,

I’ve learnt my lesson: if anything else fails, read the instructions

2 Likes

I am facing the sam issue while installing on Debian 12 VPS.
Editing /etc/network/interfaces won’t help and I get name resolution errors.
This also kicks me off the bash and I can’t reconnect to the server after a reboot.

I have followed This article and I am already running an instance on Vultr.
For some reason when I install network-manager on another VPS (Same config as Vultr) I get the The

following network interfaces were found in /etc/network/interfaces which means they are currently configured by ifupdown:

Never had this ifupdown problem on Vultur VPS!

As I see there are 2 main problems here:
1: ifupdown editing the /etc/network/interfaces and messing things up
2: systemd-resolved breaking the network interface

I was able to solve number 2 on Vultr, but it just won’t work on this server with the same config.

In step 2.2 when I type the first command (wget https://github.com/home-assistant/os-agent/releases/download/1.6.0/os-agent_1.6.0_linux_x86_64.deb) the connection times out. It tries 20 times and then gives up. … I’m up to 60. Is there a problem with the command, with my patience, or what? Advice?

THX

Welcome to the forum, Paul :wave:t3:

Have you checked whether DNS on the Debian installation can still resolve hostnames? What does the logfile show when running wget https://… ?

Check whether systemd-resolved is correctly installed:

dpkg -s  systemd-resolved

The output should contain similar to:

Version: 252.17-1~deb12u1
Replaces: resolvconf, systemd (<< 251.3-2~)
Provides: resolvconf

In case systemd-resolved is not installed run:

sudo apt-get install systemd-resolved

If DNS is still unable to resolve hostnames after making sure that systemd-resolved is installed and correctly running do further readings about the issue here and here.

1 Like

Thx for the welcome! I feel like I’m over my head as I am just starting out. I’ve tried several things and it looks like my root problem is this message: The package os-agent needs to be reinstalled, but I can’t find an archive for it." I’ve done several searches and can’t find an answer to that one!

It’s part of the installation instructions

1 Like

I am really frustrated! I have restarted, retried and keep running into different roadblocks. I now have a stable dual boot system with Windows 11 and the latest Debian install GUI. I opened the Terminal and started following these instructions carefully. (Of course, using Terminal in the GUI, the very first command line is just “su” to get to the root rather than the longer “sudo -i”.

This time when I got to:

curl -fsSL get.docker.com | sh

I get:

curl: (6) Could not resolve host: get.docker.com

I’ve seen this question before and the answers were above my head. Can someone give me simple step-by-step commands to run in the terminal to get through this step/command??

This guide covers installing HA Supervised on a Debian 12 based system, no GUI and no dual booting.

If you are installing in some way that is outside of the scope of the guide, please don’t ask for support as you have not followed the guide.

3 Likes

Where can I get help. Certainly I’m not the only one hot using a Rasberry Pi.

As for installing Home Assistant Supervised on a Raspberry Pi using Debian 12 there is even a dedicated guide for doing so.

Nevertheless same with this guide: No GUI and no dual booting!

Is there any special reason why you want to install HA Supervised? I recommend you to stay away from HA Supervised since this kind of installation makes solid Linux knowledge mandatory.

Home Assistant Operating System (HA OS) might be more suitable for you and you dont need much Linux knowledge to install and run Home Assistant:

For an in-depth reading about the latter look HERE.

BTW, the Search-function of this forum works pretty well :wink:

2 Likes

You have a dns issue.

1 Like

It will not make a difference if the computer is dual booted.

I’d suggest trying to dual boot Windows 11 and desktop Debian on a Pi while using the x86/64 guide will almost certainly make a difference.

Are you saying this because of the desktop on debian?