Installing Home Assistant Supervised using Debian 12

Just a shout out to @kanga_who for the great write up! I followed it and my Intel NUC is now running everything flawless.
I also had the 2 lines commented in my sources list, but that was a minor issue and easily fixed.

No differences <ā€¦> I keep it up to date with the main version.

Thanks for all the work youā€™ve done on this! Any reason to not update the instructions at the top of this page to call out the official one?
https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/blob/master/installer.sh

I ran into a really nasty problem yesterday/today
I updated Debian now at 10.6 and everything stopped working.
I am using only IPv6 to access my HA via a reverse proxy (Caddy). My domain only has an AAAA record.
It seems that Debian have implemented some security fixes that caused my domain AAAA record to be pointing to a different IP Address as the IP address had changed. I ended up going to /etc/network/interfaces and hard wiring the IP address into there and then restarting the service.
To duplicate this, I updated my test system as well (on a different domain) and it died as well.
I might also be seeing some of these issues because I set DoT for encrypted DNS on my router a few weeks ago which also had some unexpected consequencesā€¦ I ended up hard wiring DNS in HA to cloudflare and google so itā€™s independent of my routerā€¦
Anyway, be aware when you update Debianā€¦

(I added an A record and a port forward as a temp fix till I made the IPv6 Address static)

1 Like

I installed the Debian 10.6 and I had some errors on the next step:

apt-get install -y software-properties-common apparmor-utils apt-transport-https avahi-daemon ca-certificates curl dbus jq network-manager

ERRORS:

Package network-manager is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source.

Package apparmor-utils is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source.

Unable to locate package software-properties-common
Package 'apparmor-utils' has no installation candidate
Unable to locate package avahi-daemon
Unable to locate package jq
Package 'network-manager' has no installation candidate

How to resolve that? How we can install the HA in debian 10.6?

1 Like

Iā€™m woring through the same install process. What I found is that if one answers ā€œNoā€ to using a mirror that the package manager is not updated with the https://deb.debian.org repository. I simply reinstalled Debian 10 using a mirror, which in turn added the URL to the file. Iā€™m sure there was a better way to resolve this issue however Iā€™m only three days into using Linux. Being a 30 year DOS and Windows man is not helping!

After I solved this issue I discovered hardware on the PC Iā€™m configuring needs firmware updates to network and video cards. Iā€™m now working out how to resolve that issue, sigh!

Right now I have debian 10, does this mean that if I update debian, homeassistant will stop working?

I used the non free debian image which has that firmware. You should find references to that on the debian download page.

Yeah you could have just added the mirror to the sources listā€¦

I had a screwy issue this week I posted about above after updating to Debian 10.6. It seems you do have to specify an IP address for the interface now which I had never previously done before - or maybe that was because I needed an IPv6 address for my system and external access. I have also had some weird stuff happen with DNS but easily resolved by adding DNS servers once HA was up and running.

Thanks for using that releaseā€¦ it made updating the firmware easy (Once I found out how that is!)

No more errors since updating the firmware. No onto the next thing, setting up Automationā€™s, Scripts and Scenes.

Before building a dedicated Linux box, HA was running in a Docker container on a QNAP NAS. Iā€™ve found the folder on the NAS where the configuration.yaml and a number of other files are located. Thereā€™s a database there as well. Can the entire directory, including hidden files be copied to the new build on Linux. Iā€™m questioning this move as the QNAP install was sans Supervisor. If this can be done, where should the files be copied to on the Linux box?

Robert

Yes you can just copy those files/folders.
On Debian, the config folder is:
/usr/share/hassio/homeassistant

1 Like

same errors here to

Any solutions?

[edit] nvm my problem is trying this on a 32 bit machine. disregard.

Yes. We must select on the part of mirror to the sources, yes.

It will work this way.

David,

Thank you. With your guidance I have successfully installed debian and HA Supervised on an old Dell Studio XPS. I look forward to expanding my knowledge of HA and linux.

2 Likes

Thank you for this very well explained guide. I managed to install it, but home assistant doesnā€™t start after a reboot. Could someone guide me in the right direction?

when you run systemctl status hassio-supervisor.service what youre getting?

1 Like

being lazy a.f. and into reinstalling HA a way to often I just scripted the steps.
Itā€™s based on my needs but feel free to include or change it when you think that it is useful. I would be honored.

I got it working following this guide: Autostart using systemd

Iā€™m a tad confused here.

Been running HA on Ubuntu 18.4 LTS, with gnome desktop, for quite a while. Right now Iā€™m thinking about reinstall Ubuntu for a couple of reasons. And noticed this new thing about official and not.

Could anyone help me figure this out. My hardware is an old macbook pro, with desktop. And running more than hass.

If I install Ubuntu again, itā€™s not officially supported.
If I follow the official installation and then install more software, itā€™s no more officially supported.

So, since I then will end up with an unsupported installation anyway, are there any other differences between istalling on Ubuntu or Debian?

If you are doing a fresh install, you might as well use Debian. Itā€™s a little lighter weight as an OS than Ubuntu, but itā€™s not really going to make a massive difference at the end of the day - youā€™ll be running unsupported anyway.

You could also look at using Proxmox and running HA OS in a VM, and then run another VM with Ubuntu/Other Distro for anything else you want to install, gives you the best of both worlds and is considered fully supported. This is how I run things now and it works very well.

1 Like

canā€™t get this working on debian 10.6 keep getting errors about apparmor avahi even though they are installed