Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

Oh, sorry :man_facepalming: my bad.

Do you mean load another VM like Ubuntu?

1 Like

You implied you had split up your HA into 3 VMs. I’ve created a couple of containers for Pi-Hole and Mosquitto (that is only using 25MiB! - a little bit more allocated) so I’m happy how to do that.

What I want to split out is the InfluxDB addon as that is causing grief.

Sorry for the confusion, I was saying I split my system RAM out across the 3 separate VM’s.

Ah Ok :grin:.

@kanga_who - you can simplify the first parts of the instructions post Proxmox install to

sed -i 's/^\([^#].*\)/# \1/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list

echo "deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pve-no-subscription" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-no-subscription.list

apt update && apt dist-upgrade -y && apt autoremove --purge -y

This

• Comments out the enterprise repo with sed
  • Create a drop-in for the pve-no-subscription repository
  • Update (as you have)

It is always best practice to use a drop-in rather than edit the main .conf file. YMMV :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I remember thinking the same thing when I first setup with Proxmox but then I read a technical post somewhere regarding the way linux and vm display memory usage. I’m going to butcher it, but essentially it said the memory usage displayed in the promox gui didnt reflect actual usage within the VM (cache, etc). While the memory was actually being reserved in the host system (my case a Nuc with 16gb of Ram), within the VM itself, there was likely a lot of “available” memory. Comparing the Proxmox gui versus the HA systemmonitor, it appeared to true.

I allocated 4gb to my HA instance:

But HA reported a lot mor memory available:

I could never truly get my head around memory usage in Linux, but this felt right :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Everything was going perfect until I get to step 3.7

3.7) If you have a Zigbee or Z-wave stick connected to the machine that you wish to use with Home Assistant, you can configure these now by clicking on USB Device then click on Edit in the bar just above. You can now choose the USB Zigbee or Z-wave device from the dropdown list, then click OK.

I don’t have a USB Device option. My zigbee2mqtt CC2531 USB stick is plunged in

Edit. I figured it out. You have to go up to Add and then select USB Device.

then Select Use Vendor/Device ID and select the correct device.

4 Likes

Hello, I tried this installs script on Proxmox with ZFS but something’s not working as I’d expect. It asks me to choose between two different targets: local and local-zfs. All my other VMs and LXCs are in local-zfs so that’s what I chose. But then this happens:

+ pvesm alloc local-zfs 124 vm-124-disk-0 128
command 'zfs create -s -V 1024k rpool/data/vm-124-disk-0' failed: got timeout

When I try to install in local (which is a dir) everything runs successfully. But the commands are quite different:

+ pvesm alloc local 118 vm-118-disk-0.qcow2 128
Formatting '/var/lib/vz/images/118/vm-118-disk-0.qcow2', fmt=qcow2 size=131072 cluster_size=65536 preallocation=metadata lazy_refcounts=off refcount_bits=16
successfully created 'local:118/vm-118-disk-0.qcow2'

I’m not experienced in ZFS but from what I read I believe local is the right place to put my images and that’s where all my VMs adnd LXCs are (as raw images, not qcow2). But I’m at a loss trying to understand how to make it work.

Can anyone please shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Content deleted - incorrect information.

According to whom?

I have been running HA in Proxmox for about 2 years now, but run it in a LXC container. Uses hardly any resources but you get full access as if it were a full blown VM

Much better than a VM IMO and also better than a docker container as you have full access to it.

1 Like

Ha devs say that install is unsupported and will cause problems so it’s def not recommended.

1 Like

Not seen that. Been running it like this for years - it is the same as a full blown install only a smaller footprint as in a LXC container rather than VM. Installed in both a Ubuntu container and Centos with no issues.

Edit: Granted a LXC isn’t necessarily for a noob and you need to understand Linux. If you know what you are doing it works a treat.

Edit 2: By the way I am not using a docker or supervisor, but local install of HA. Maybe that is where you are getting confused?

I’m not the one who is confused. Using LXC is not recommended by the devs at all.

If you don’t have some information that backs up this statement, please don’t post conjecture.

I’m speculating he’s referring to the script that installs the LXC container.

1 Like

I had been using Whiskerz script, was experiencing strange issues, googled it, came across a post from Frenck in a Issue, stating not to use Whiskerz script due to it causing issues. I found the better solution, have been using it ever since, never looked back.

In the meantime it could be that Whiskerz made some improvements, and I was using what is now an old script, as @DavidFW1960 is indicating.

Can you show me where this is said?

I have HA core in a virtenv running nicely in a LXC and have separate LXCs for Node Red, mqqt, Mariadb, pihole, plex, Zone minder, NGINX etc and have zero issues.

I have searched the forum and cannot find any evidence to support your claim ?

Can you explain why a LXC is bad news?

I have been running LXCs for years and I support them in our production systems at work and cannot see how HA would be troublesome (it’s not)

Edit: just seen posts about install scripts. I didn’t use them - installed from scratch as if HA core was on a Debian machine.

2 Likes

Unless your information is current and has a point of reference, please don’t provide advice in this installation guide for people not to use this method.

I have used the script and tested my guide on a number of different machines before posting and have had zero issues, along with many, many other users.

2 Likes

Sorry about that, I was not aware that Whiskerz007-script had been improved.