Installing on Beaglebone Black

Hello,
I am brand new to Home Assistant and the surrounding ecosystem.

I would like to install on a BeagleBone Black that I have.
I would like to hear what the recommended and simplest way to do so would be.

There doesn’t appear to be a Hass.io image for this device. The docker installation is responding with the message:

[ERROR] Please set machine for armv7l

Can anyone advise the best way to get setup on a BBB?
Thanks,
Peter

I just got into an argument on here yesterday when I said the instructions are hidden.

Assuming you are following the Linux instructions and have all the dependencies mentioned, here is your “magic command”, I believe.

curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/master/install/hassio_install | bash -s -- -m raspberrypi3

From the README here. https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/tree/master/install

Thanks @bosborne, I’ll try that. Setting the machine to raspberrypi3 - does that mean that the raspberrypi3 release of hass.io would work?

Not necessarily. Your underlying hardware is different.

Raspian for the Pi and your OS are both armv71 though.

This is what I’ve been using for over a year on a RPi, and more recently on an Intel Core-i5 system running Ubuntu, but it should work on a BBB, too (I would think.)

Since they specifically mentioned Hassio, I posted that installation. Your manual one may work for a venv. Or, likely, they could just install the Docker image.

Fair enough. I don’t use hass.io so really don’t know much about it.

Thank you both, I’ll take a look when I get a chance.

Any results? Trying to do the same (Installing on BBB) and would love to eliminate some stumbling :wink: Thanks.

Sorry, I can’t help - I ended up getting a pi to eliminate the inevitable stumbling!

As much as I love BBB more (open HW architecture) than RPI I may take the same route. But if I make the BBB working I will post the results :wink:

@peteretep, Have you tried installing Ubuntu on the BBB and then running the generic installer script to get Hass.io installed?