Installing on Beaglebone Black

Hello,
I am brand new to Home Assistant and the surrounding ecosystem.

I would like to install on a BeagleBone Black that I have.
I would like to hear what the recommended and simplest way to do so would be.

There doesn’t appear to be a Hass.io image for this device. The docker installation is responding with the message:

[ERROR] Please set machine for armv7l

Can anyone advise the best way to get setup on a BBB?
Thanks,
Peter

I just got into an argument on here yesterday when I said the instructions are hidden.

Assuming you are following the Linux instructions and have all the dependencies mentioned, here is your “magic command”, I believe.

curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/master/install/hassio_install | bash -s -- -m raspberrypi3

From the README here. https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio-build/tree/master/install

Thanks @anon34565116, I’ll try that. Setting the machine to raspberrypi3 - does that mean that the raspberrypi3 release of hass.io would work?

Not necessarily. Your underlying hardware is different.

Raspian for the Pi and your OS are both armv71 though.

This is what I’ve been using for over a year on a RPi, and more recently on an Intel Core-i5 system running Ubuntu, but it should work on a BBB, too (I would think.)

Since they specifically mentioned Hassio, I posted that installation. Your manual one may work for a venv. Or, likely, they could just install the Docker image.

Fair enough. I don’t use hass.io so really don’t know much about it.

Thank you both, I’ll take a look when I get a chance.

Any results? Trying to do the same (Installing on BBB) and would love to eliminate some stumbling :wink: Thanks.

Sorry, I can’t help - I ended up getting a pi to eliminate the inevitable stumbling!

As much as I love BBB more (open HW architecture) than RPI I may take the same route. But if I make the BBB working I will post the results :wink:

@peteretep, Have you tried installing Ubuntu on the BBB and then running the generic installer script to get Hass.io installed?

Since I had a BBB lying around doing nothing at the moment (it was an Octoprint server but I’m trying an original Beaglebone White to see how it goes for that) and since I felt like a challenge, I decided to see what could be achieved.
My “real” HA server is hosted in a venv under Debian 9.9 on an older pc. So I just attempted the same setup on the BBB.
I flashed the latest Debian 9.9 IoT SD image and started to build Python 3.7 from source. I probably shouldn’t have used “–enable-optimizations” in configure as after 5 or 6 hours the test suite failed with a segmentation fault. (The poor old 'bone is struggling a bit nowadays.)
So I lost interest and went back to the Beaglebone downloads page and found an alpha image for Buster 10.0. So I flashed that and confirmed that Python 3.7 was there. Looking back through this thread, I can see that the guide that @pnbruckner posted above is more or less what I did.
I needed to install libffi but otherwise the install of HA went smoothly but very slowly.
Running hass for the first time took about 30-40 minutes and but is not too bad subsequently.
All in all it took the best part of the morning sitting and watching the 'bone grind away.

It seems to run OK but I didn’t load it up with much of anything.

Would you want to use this for real? I don’t think so. I’ve got a Pi 3B+ build stored away for a backup in case my main server fails but I’ll probably keep the card from the BBB as well for another backup.

Hi There,

Has anyone been using BBB/Pandaboard for their Homeassistant needs?

BR
Kozak

FWIW I installed the official Debian for BBB, upgraded to the stable kernel
followed this guide

Replaced

wget https://github.com/home-assistant/os-agent/releases/download/1.2.2/os-agent_1.2.2_linux_aarch64.deb

dpkg -i os-agent_1.2.2_linux_aarch64.deb

with

wget https://github.com/home-assistant/os-agent/releases/download/1.2.2/os-agent_1.2.2_linux_arv7.deb

dpkg -i os-agent_1.2.2_linux_armv7.deb

when prompted instead of selecting raspberrypi4-64 I choose qemu-armv7

It appears to be running albeit with not much RAM to spare - it would probably need a 1GB board to be on the safe side

1 Like

So you get it working that way with just 512MB? Right now I have an openHAB installation running. The 3.x version is working ok with that setup. For the latest 4.x you will need 1GB. That is why I am curious.
Have just a few devices, heatpump, power meter - so more for supervision than control. Don’t want to control each plug/lamp. So, if someone has more hints or experience, you are welcome.