Installing packages such as python / pip3

Hi There

Fairly new with home assistant and struggling to install additional packages like PIP3 and Python.

I I have a Raspberry Pi 4 64bit and used this guide to set it up: Raspberry Pi - Home Assistant

I used this image:
https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/5.13/hassos_rpi4-64-5.13.img.xz

Now I’ve got a lot of it working already but playing around with some samsung automations but it says I need pyhton/pip3 installed but I can’t figure out how to set this up.

Whenever I run pip3 install websocket-client I get bash: pip3 command not found.
Python3 --version also returns bash python 3 command not found.

This is all within the terminal on the home assitance UI.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

There are four official ways to install Home Assistant. You chose the one that comes with its own operating system. It’s a highly streamlined version of Debian Linux, optimized for hosting the docker version of Home Assistant Core (and several other, related docker containers). This purpose-built operating system does its own updates as well. The main goal is to provide just enough operating system to host Home Assistant and no more.

If you want complete control over the operating system, including the ability to install other things, you will need to choose one of the other three installation methods.

2 Likes