Installing panels and plugins in Grafana (Hass.io)

I’m not sure if I am doing it the right way, but anyway it worked for me, so I just wanted to let you know that if you want to install new panels in Grafana, in a Hass.io environment , you have just to put the following code in the “Options” field.
This is for the clock panel

{
  "env_var": [
    {
      "name": "GF_INSTALL_PLUGINS=grafana-clock-panel,grafana-simple-json-datasource"
    }
  ]
}

and this is the dicrete panel which could be used for booleans or binary sensors

{
    {
      "name": "GF_INSTALL_PLUGINS=grafana-discrete-panel"
    }
  ]
}

After installing them you can put back what you had in that field, for example I have:

{
    {
      "name": "GF_AUTH_ANONYMOUS_ENABLED",
      "value": "true"
    }
  ]
}

Where is the “options” panel? Is that the “config” box?

For future reference I’m documenting the way I installed a plugin for Grafana which is running as add-on in Hass.io:
To be able to use Flux query language with Grafana, I installed the following plugin:
https://grafana.com/grafana/plugins/grafana-influxdb-flux-datasource

Just add the plugin name to the add-on configuration and restart the add-on.

{
  "plugins": [
    "grafana-influxdb-flux-datasource"
  ],
  "env_vars": [],
  "ssl": true,
  "certfile": "fullchain.pem",
  "keyfile": "privkey.pem"
}

The plugin will be installed on restart. In Grafana you can then create a new datasource and select the new type that becomes available with the plugin.

Hopefully this is useful to others, too.

1 Like

So I’m curious where did you install this plugin? Did you ssh and wget a file/zip and dump it somewhere?

The cfg file you ref above for plugins … which file is that?

1 Like

Go to Grafana configuration and add plugin.

2 Likes

Perfect, thanks!!

As a note I went to Supervisor --> clicked on Grafana under add-ons —> clicked on Configuration —> that’s where you’re screenshot comes in. Thanks again.

I want to install NTOPNG plugin but how can i do that in grafana becauase it is installed on my supervised Home Assistant?

Did you find a solution? I want to do the same thing.

Simply add the plugin: string to the config in home assistant

plugins": [
    "grafana-influxdb-flux-datasource"

Then you can find it in grafana, click and install. But my problem is now i can’t get configured ntopng plugin with pfsense ntopng? Are you planning also to do that?

Allright - thank you!
I switched to an opnsense firewall just some weeks ago but it should be indeed very similar for ntopng. I also found the site on github explaining how to connect to ntopng but haven’t messed - uhps - set this up yet.
I’ve managed to connect ntopng to influxdb though and all those multidirections and changes spin my head at the moment. I have to rest a little bit overthinking what would be possible and what desirable.
The ntopng-blog entry is some years old and I haven’t found this nice how-to until now on the web. So if you come across something like that - I would be interested.

Best, Bernd

Ended with installing Telegraf->InfluxDB->Grafana, only i don’t get info from pfblockerNG…

Where do I find ID for plugin? I tried to install Grafana_Status_panel from https://github.com/Vonage/Grafana_Status_panel but it ends with error that plugin id cannot be found… I think the way which is described here only works for plugins that are in grafana “store”, not for those at github.

1 Like