Insteon Component

We are getting close to having local support for the hubs built in there are a few bugs that we are working through.

So, you guys need a beta tester??

I’d be up for that.

Got a 2245-222 hub w/ things like thermostats, motion sensors, water leak detectors.

Running the HA on a RaspberryPI3

Let me know if I can help.

@camrun91 – did you ever figure out whether you could use this component to control a fan linc module? I have two fanlincs in my home which I would really like to get cleaner control of through HA (currently I have the fans set up as three switches each, one for each speed mode, but I’m looking for a cleaner solution).

There is now an insteon_local component. We are working on integration with other devices. Fan lincs may not be too hard. We can look into adding this.

That would be great. I’m using the insteon local component now for lights and switches in my home, and it’s working well. Though I really wish I could control both top and bottom outlets… with the Insteon (Local) Switch Home Assistant only seems to see the top outlet. Hopefully that’ll be a future addition, too.

Feel free to join us over on the gitter.im chat. We have a room there that is just for the insteon stuff. The more people we have in there the more we can actually get things added. I am not sure we even knew the outlets worked with the insteon_local. I will double check and see, do you have them added as switches or what?

Did you just set up the outlet using the switch class that is already available?

Regarding the OpenHAB-Insteon custom component:

Has anyone been able to get the custom OpenHAB-Insteon light component to show up in Home Assistant as a dimmer? Mine are all showing up as on/off switches. I followed the example code here exactly (and then tried tweaking it), but no luck. I’m wondering if something might have changed on the Home Assistant configuration side of things.

Can anyone confirm whether the Insteon 8 button keypads work with this component? Except for turning something on and off can you use the remaining buttons to activate scipts/scenes?

@Maaniac I recently asked the same question in the HASS Insteon Gitter chat and apparently it doesn’t however the guys developing this component agree that it would be a cool feature and are looking into it.

On a positive note they found that OpenHAS has implemented this so they are confident it is achievable.

The guys in that group appear to be passionate about Insteon and HASS so I believe there is a lot of potential for this component.

1 Like

Hi everyone.

I’m just getting started with HA (moving my entire setup from openHAB).

My dimmer lights are working great with insteon_local but I cannot see my roller shutters (using INSTEON Micro open/close switch).

In openHAB, these were registered as dimmers and 50% brightness = half way open. I then modified the icons to match.

Is there a way to force insteon_local to see the open/close switches as well?

I just got a Pull Request done for a big update to the insteon_local component. I am hoping that this cleans up the performance and gets it to be more reliable for everyone. Once this is found to be fully stable I can work on possibly adding more features and devices. I will graduate this semester so hopefully I have a little more free time for this project after that.

Sounds awesome. I’ll test it out this weekend. I am planning to add some fanlinc to my system.

FYI - here is another option that I wrote over the holidays for those of you with a PLM modem: an Insteon<->MQTT bridge package. It’s working very nicely for me and has support for most of the common Insteon components (switches, dimmers, keypads, fanlincs, sensors of most types, iolinc). It also allows for changing the all link database (controller, responder links) as well as triggering Insteon scenes (simulate a button press on a device) from HASS. Since it knows about the Insteon links, it also reports state updates for all devices in a scene instantly with no polling required. Feel free to add comments/requests/issues over in that thread or on github.

We have just also made a significant update to the insteon_plm component that will be coming out with 0.65.0. @TD22057 @camrun91 would love to team up with you both to understand how we manage one python insteon library rather than 3. Feels like we are all duplicating work. I don’t use the Hub or MQTT but the underlying messages, devices, ALDB, etc should all be the same model.

@teharris1 I would be good with that.

Awesome. Do you thing phareous and wardcraigj would be good to consider a merge? I believe nugget would be. I have not worked with the Hub but looking at the documentation the only difference is the message transport (rest vs serial). It looks like you are still sending/receiving messages to/from devices. So if our plm.py module and your hub.py module were merged most of the rest looks the same. The general structure we have used is very similar in concept to @TD22057 as well but each library has pros and cons as far as I can see.

@teharris1 Hello, I was wondering is there away to add insteon scenes as entities in hassio to turn them on and off?

I just pushed an update to allow INSTEON scenes to be triggered from HA. Since you are using a HUB you can create the scene in the Hub app ( you can creat them in HA too but the Hub app is easier). Then you create an automation calling the service insteon.scene_on or insteon.scene_off . Once it is accepted into the release I will let you know and send a link to the documentation.

Where can I find this documentation?