Insteon Component

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I, too, have a deep commitment to the insteon components and have managed to get lights and/or switches working.

However, there does not seem to be support for sensors such as thermostats, motion and water leak devices. I went to the getting started page, components, hub and notice that Insteon is no longer present.

Is this to be taken as an abandonment of the insteon hub altogether?

Ok, must be a total case of Operator Headspace. Just looked at the site and the insteon hub’s back in the list! BUT, there’s still the issue of not getting notified of all the devices the hub knows about. All of which were added using the Android Insteon app and seem to function as desired when accessed via that app.

What is also interesting, to me at least, is that the 2245-222 hub is coesisting with the 2242-222 hub that I am running as well, controlled by HouseLink. The older version supports X10 which is what got me into this mess in the first place :smile:

So, for now at least, the devices the HA can’t see are being handled by the 2242 hub, only the lights/switches are being accessed via the 2245 hub.

So are you saying that you have both hubs? and are you using the native to HA insteon hub component?

Yes, I have both the 2242-222 and 2245-222 hubs. The 2245 seems to work with the HA for lights/switches. Any of the devices that were added using the Insteon App (for android) that are NOT either lamps or switches do not show up. Interestingly, the one duplex outlet I have is classified as a light!

I am assuming that the insteon support package in HA needs to be taught about the other devices.

This is beyond my knowledge as I am just beginning with HA and can not get Insteon to give me a developer API key. I would assume that through the hub that is able to access the development API that all devices would show up seamlessly as you are accessing the cloud interface for the hub. At least that is my understanding of how the hub access with HA works. I am using Open Hab to access my hub then accessing the switches and lights(dimmers) via HA custom component.

Interesting about the insteon dev key. I, too, am new to HA, but after about a week, I got mine. That’s when the “fun” started.

This was driving me crazy. I kept getting the error: ValueError: could not convert string to float, but at seemingly random times and I couldn’t make sense of it.

Finally, I realized my mistake. When I started this I installed a new copy of OpenHAB 1.8.3 with only the InsteonPLM binding. If I didn’t wait long enough for all of the devices to phone home with their status, hass would receive a nice fat <state>Uninitialized</state> when it tried to retrieve the REST data. Since you can’t really convert Uninitialized to a float, well, that’s what happens. The few X10 devices I have left in my home caused me even bigger pain since those never update the controller with what’s happening. Finally, I installed and configured mapdb to restore all of the items on startup and my problem seems to have disappeared. I’m running both the dimmer and the switch components without any flaws now. Thank you chanders for all your work!

Also, I discovered that X10 dimmers need to be treated as switches, which I’m guessing has to do with the fact that X10 dimmers won’t wake up to just the dim level and require a separate ‘ON’ command to come alive. X10 never gets any easier.

I’d have done away with my X10 stuff long ago but I have an old house and I’m faced with the problem of not having neutral wires in the switch boxes. One of these days I’ll pick up a few of those Zwave switch modules, install some regular wall switches, and hopefully do away with X10 for good.

I’ve placed my order for a used 2244-224 Starter Kit and will have it delivered next Tuesday to test out the OpenHAB->Home Assistant Insteon PLM bridge.

I came here from my thread:

Okay. I got OpenHAB up and running in Arch Linux after I figure out what’s going on:

And I will try out the custom Insteon component this afternoon.

Okay, so I got openHAB up and running. Now my question is where do I download the custom component?

Hi. New to home automation and recently bought the Insteon starter kit. I would also like to know where to download the custom component. Thanks in advance.

Just wanted to update that I got it working using the custom component here-
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/problem-with-insteon/2301/7?u=linodavid

@chanders is there a way using your component to tie in the fan linc modules?

There is some movement here to get local insteon support, if any of you would like to help develop or test

We are getting close to having local support for the hubs built in there are a few bugs that we are working through.

So, you guys need a beta tester??

I’d be up for that.

Got a 2245-222 hub w/ things like thermostats, motion sensors, water leak detectors.

Running the HA on a RaspberryPI3

Let me know if I can help.

@camrun91 – did you ever figure out whether you could use this component to control a fan linc module? I have two fanlincs in my home which I would really like to get cleaner control of through HA (currently I have the fans set up as three switches each, one for each speed mode, but I’m looking for a cleaner solution).

There is now an insteon_local component. We are working on integration with other devices. Fan lincs may not be too hard. We can look into adding this.

That would be great. I’m using the insteon local component now for lights and switches in my home, and it’s working well. Though I really wish I could control both top and bottom outlets… with the Insteon (Local) Switch Home Assistant only seems to see the top outlet. Hopefully that’ll be a future addition, too.