Insteon Fast On not targeting group

I’m attempting to set up an automation where an “instant on” turns on all lights targeting a group.

The automation I have is:

- id: kitchen_double_tap_on
  alias: Kitchen Double Tap On
  trigger:
    platform: event
    event_type: insteon.button_on_fast
    event_data:
      address: 48b814
  action:
    service: insteon.scene_on
    data:
      group: 5

I set up logging like (and rebooted):

logger:
  default: warn
  logs:
    insteonplm: debug
    homeassistant.components.insteon: debug

I see the logs for the fast on and see the device state being updated, but I don’t see group 5 being targeted in the logs (even though the group is executed which is weird).

Jan 01 03:41:46 homeassistant 3672a7227afc[379]: 2020-12-31 20:41:46 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.insteon.utils] Firing event insteon.button_on_fast with {'address': '48b814'}
Jan 01 03:41:47 homeassistant 3672a7227afc[379]: 2020-12-31 20:41:47 DEBUG (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.insteon.insteon_entity] Received update for device 48c9e0 group 1 value 255

I feel like I’m probably missing something obvious, hopefully someone else can help me find it.

I was slow to think of this, but using the insteon.scene_on service in the developer tools works which is great. I am not seeing the scene change messages in debug mode though because it looks like they aren’t being logged. Would a PR to add those debug messages be appreciated?

I was trying to figure out how to use the fast on/fast off feature of my insteon dimmer switch. I am a bit new to home assistant, but my process was to

1. In home assistant, go to developer tools > Events tab and set “Listen to events” to * and start listening.
  2. Then I double tapped my dimmer and captured this.
{
    "event_type": "insteon.button_on_fast",
    "data": {
        "address": "1b3c08"
    },
    "origin": "LOCAL",
    "time_fired": "2021-01-12T14:30:08.476149+00:00",
    "context": {
        "id": "2c0717b7949aaa697001f31dd2779afc",
        "parent_id": null,
        "user_id": null
    }
}
  1. from there I ended up using node red and had to watch all events for a “insteon.button_on_fast” event. Then I had to match on payload.event.address and put in the “1b3c08”. It works, but probably is not the correct way to to it. But the event comes through without an entity_id so I don’t know how to use the normal hass stuff. You also get a event_type=state_changed as usual with entity_id, but it just has new_state/old_state and on/off, etc.

Did you ever find another way to do this? Has the way you came up with been working well for you?