Insteon PLM not passed through to HA or, dead new PLM?

going crazy here - I have a USB Insteon PLM that I can not get working. It’s replacing a serial modem that died. This is new - out of the box.

I have recently even started from scratch (with and without applying a backup) and now running the generic version on an intel nuc gen 8.

I am getting the following when I try to find the path to install Insteon.
It’s starting to feel like an Insteon PLM problem - has anyone else ever seen this?

21-10-27 19:55:41 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.hardware.monitor] Detecting HardwareAction.ADD hardware /dev/bus/usb/001/009 - None
21-10-27 19:55:41 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.hardware.monitor] Detecting HardwareAction.ADD hardware /dev/usb/hiddev0 - None
21-10-27 19:55:41 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.hardware.monitor] Detecting HardwareAction.ADD hardware /dev/hidraw3 - None
Cant read config index 0 descriptor/start: -71
Cant read configurations, error -71

I’ve had an issue importing a new device paired to my PLM lately - different error, but potentially a similar problem. I haven’t had a ton of time to try to debug my issue yet though.

new devices i have been having issues with as well on another deployment …

Windows picks it up and installs it just fine - this seems to be Linux not having the appropriate drivers?