Insteon USB PLM with Home Assistant OS

I am looking for guidance on the best approach to add a USB PLM to HA to control insteon devices.

I have added the Insteon integration in the UI and passed in the device path to the modem and it detected the modem but no other devices are found.

I am expecting that I need to go through a process to link all the devices to the modem but all I can find is very generic advice about the “add_all_link” commands and such.

reference

i used a trial version of Indigo https://www.indigodomo.com/ and was able to verify the PLM works and I went through the steps to add one switch to the PLM. Moved the PLM back to HA expecting that the newly linked device will show up but nothing yet.

Tried activating the switch manually a number of times to see if that would trigger anything to no avail.

You will want to run load_all_link_database (https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/insteon/) and WALK AWAY for at least 15 minutes. Don’t think it is broken because stuff isn’t there immediately.

trying that now, I have to manually link every device to the PLM by some other means first correct?

Since so far I have only linked one device I expect only that one device will be imported into HA.

Planning to use indigo to link all my devices since it is pretty straight-forward and I can’t find any clear direction on how to add a device directy to the PLM with HA

first attempt returned nothing after a few hours

running again this time in yaml mode as per screen shot

still nothing, no output from the service call and no new devices found? will try again but any direction is much appreciated.

I’m having the same type of problems. USB insteon stick here… I just can’t get links to load, this has got to be the hardest most frustrating thing I’ve tried with home assistant yet. I spent the whole weekend without much progress. I’d really like to get off homeseer, but this is a deal breaker.

1 Like

Same exact issue here, except I have an Insteon Hub … I click call service, walk away for hours at a time and nothing happens or shows up anywhere

what hardware device are you using to try to link with insteon devices from HA ?

See this topic

Raspberry Pi4

What insteon hardware device?

Insteon Hub is what I’m trying to access … there’s a bunch of devices linked to that, pretty much any lighting hardware you can think of

I tried that and it sort of worked for a bit but no reliable. It works using HTTP post/get calls from HA to the local hub address.

I acquired an Insteon PLM that connects to HA via USB and then plugs into the wall. It works very well

I paid $35 for mine last May, now they are going for more than $200

[Insteon SmartHome PowerLinc USB (Dual-Band) Modem #2413U | Model: 2413U]

Good to know. I’m looking for solutions for the Insteon Hub though

Hi Gokuro
I was wondering how you got the PLM installed ? Do you mind sharing ?

My PLM is connected via USB, I am running hass OS and it detected it and added to home assistant automatically.

I then started adding insteon devices one at time by putting the modem into link mode

by running this service command from the developer tools section in HA

service: insteon.add_all_link
data:
  mode: controller
  group: 0

do you find the 2413U works well with HA? So far I can’t get it to control all the devices it used to when connected to different software, and it doesn’t seem to receive updates when devices are manually turned on and off. So far I’ve found the hub works better, which is not at all what I expected. I’m trying to figure out this it’s working the same of others, or if I need to wipe things out and try again.l

I have had great luck with the 2413U. In general it has done a great job of auto discovery as I cycle the Insteon Device. In general i find it was easier then z-wave