Integrate Kogan SmarterHome products into HA

You really want to be calibrating using a purely resistive load to ensure its at a power factor of 1. I use an old filament light globe.

Yes using a 53w lightbulb (old school one) for the testing.

Hey guys,

Not really on topic, but wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. I have some Kogan bulbs and want to run a bash script to turn them on or off locally. Basically the use case is Tautulli running a script when start/stop content in Plex. Is this possible without flashing to ESPHome or Tasmota? I use Alexa 99% of the time so want to keep that functionality.

Again, I know this isnā€™t really a HA thing, just wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction :slight_smile:

Thanks

How close have people got with calibrating their Kogan Smart Plug with USB?

Iā€™ve just flashed 4 with ESP home. Have plugged in a 275w heat lamp with a ammeter in series, voltmeter in parallel and a watt meter in series.

Have tuned the volts and wattage in the config to get as close as possible.

Higher value gives lower watt readout

current_res: ā€œ0.00227ā€

Lower value gives lower voltage readout

voltage_div: ā€œ810ā€

Meter readers report.
Amps = 1.074a
Watts = 246w
Volts = 228v

HA reports
Watts = 249w
Volts = 225v
Amps = 0.57a

Both Watts and Volts are pretty close to meter readings but Amps is way off (Almost exactly half). Tried this on a couple different plugs and getting the same results.

Just wondering what others experience is likeā€¦

I recently bought a Kogan heater and the Tuya app didnā€™t recognise it ā€¦ so I had to use the Kogan App instead. Is there any way to get this to work with Home Assistant?

You could try TuyaGateway 2.0

You could create a value template such as

- platform: template
    sensors:
      plug_amps:
        friendly_name: "Amps"
        unit_of_measurement: 'A'
        value_template: "{{ states.switch.kogan_plug.attributes.amps| float *1.50| round(2) }}"

Change switch name and attributes to match

Or in Esphome filters calibrate_linear or multiply.

I bought a four pack of the smart plug with energy monitor and usb ports. It doesnā€™t seem like tuya-convert will run, must be the new firmware. I get an error in the logs ā€˜could not establish sslpsk socket: [SSL: DECRYPTION_FAILED_OR_BAD_RECORD_MAC] decryption failed or bad record mac (_ssl.c:1056)ā€™.

I could be doing it wrong but I would suggest others be cautions. They are not easy to disassemble either. I had a go at one and tore it up pretty well. I still havenā€™t been able to flash tasmota, not sure what Iā€™m doing wrong there. That will be a future project.

and

https://github.com/ct-Open-Source/tuya-convert/wiki/Collaboration-document-for-PSK-Identity-02 :+1:

Same purchase (4 x plug w energy monitor + USB), same result - except I could not physically get into mine. Any opening tips and photos?

Here are a few pictures. https://imgur.com/a/a8C9cfT I have no great tips for opening. As you can see my case was badly damaged in the attempt. There are only four small clips holding it together but it seems like it might be bonded in some other way as well. I had to pry around all edges with a knife then screwdriver. I found once I pried the corners out it came out more easily. However, I badly cracked the case twice trying to loosen the edges.

I was unable to flash tasmota initially (it was my first go). I ended up removing the whole WiFi module from the board and was able to flash it and then reassemble the plug and it is working nicely with my first esphome config. Once I had removed the wifi module (with great difficulty) I soldered pins to gnd, 3v3, tx and rx as per most instructions then I also soldered a jumper from Io0 to ground to place into bootloader mode. Everything went smoothly after that. I flashed with my raspberry pi.

Thanks very much for those photos. Donā€™t think I will proceed any further with opening mine up. They look reasonably well put together.

Might try the Tuya cloud integration option next.

I got a Kogan Air con recently and used the Tuya integration to add it to HA. The entity card only shows ā€œoffā€ and not on. I am not sure how to get it to change or see any of the other functions like temp and mode etc.

Any ideas for a beginner?

Hi Jim, from a fellow beginner, check out localTuya: Tuya LOCAL with energy monitoring and without tuya-convert

I have the smart switches with power monitoring working and some parts of an air filter also.

1 Like

Hi anbody been able to do anything with this Kogan Smart Scales - Tuya ? Tasmota Esphome? https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-smarterhome-wi-fi-body-composition-smart-scale-black/?utm_source=MailList&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20201112_EDM_3_AU_HNCL_SMRT_AIRPURIFIER_FRENZY

1 Like

Iā€™d also like to know the solution to this. Iā€™ve had a look through the Tasmota docs and I canā€™t find anything referencing a Tuya scale, so Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s supported yet?
Is there a way to reliably get the data from the cloud?

Has anyone tried integrating these 2 devices?

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-smarterhome-2000w-smart-glass-panel-heater/
https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-smarterhome-smart-wifi-pet-feeder-camera/

Last time I checked, they werenā€™t supported by the tuya connect app, though they do say they are powered by tuya. I donā€™t have the gear (yet) to try tuya convert, but I have no idea if itā€™s even possible.

Hi, I recently purchased this Kogan Smart Doorbell. I have it set up and working in the TuyaSmart app. I have the Tuya integration set up in HA but the doorbell (and one of my lights) isnā€™t showing up. All of the other devices from the TuyaSmart app are visible. Can anyone provide any advice on how to get this to show up in Home Assistant?

Iā€™m thinking spend devices simply donā€™t show in HA.

My heater does but my baby monitor does not which is frustrating. Was hoping to ditch the Kogan/ tuya app.